How many calories in one workout?

Options
I have a Nike Fuel Band so it's pretty easy for me to track. If I'm working out for an hour, I try to burn at least 500. How many calories do you typically try to burn in one workout?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike Fuel Band so it's pretty easy for me to track. If I'm working out for an hour, I try to burn at least 500. How many calories do you typically try to burn in one workout?

i'm doing P90X3 at the moment, so its anything from 80 to 300 for half an hour depending on the workout.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I like to burn at least 500. I figure that's pretty much a whole meal earned :-)
  • remg81
    remg81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 450-500 in an hour whether its cardio or strength.
  • Emsie_lou
    Emsie_lou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the gym as I have so much to lose and exercise is difficult but I try to burn 150-400 cals per session. And eventually in time I want to increase this and hopefully be able to run!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have 45-60 minutes and try to burn 300-400 calories. Hard to burn much more than that in an hour or less.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I workout for the sake of fitness...burning calories is just a nice bi-product in that burning those calories allowed me to eat more and still lose my weight; without exercise I could have only eaten 1850 calories to lose about 1 Lb per week...with exercise I could eat 2200 - 2,350...on average I burn 350 - 500 depending on the particular workout. On Saturdays I burn around 1200 - 1300 on a 35 mile bike ride and then I eat all the foods.

Please realize that your calorie deficit for weight loss is built into your calorie goal and this is without exercise (provided you are using the MFP method). You don't have to burn off calories with exercise to lose weight. You will be doing yourself a huge favor if you set independent fitness goals for yourself and exercise to the benefit of hitting those goals. It will be highly important in maintenance for you to do so. I exercise more now in maintenance than I ever did when I was losing.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

i'm doing P90X3 at the moment, so its anything from 80 to 300 for half an hour depending on the workout.

This^

Not doing P90, but calorie burns depend on the type of workout one does.

Cardio burns some decent calories, but I don't do it everyday. Strength training doesn't burn nearly as much (HRMs are pretty much worthless). Hatha yoga burns even less (again an HRM is not helpful). But for me it's not about the burn. I'm older and really need to improve my fitness level more than anything.
  • marim322
    marim322 Posts: 5
    Options
    never realized the cal goal worked like that. I was working towards knocking off 500 cal a day to lose 1lb a week