Can you walk to healthy weight?

Options
I know I could do weights, and I plan on it eventually, but I need to lose a few first. I have gotten so heavy that my hips and knees cannot handle anything high intensity or squats(and the like). Hell, I get winded when I go up a flight of stairs. I go to the gym and walk. Just walk. I usually put the treadmill on a program that alters the height a bit then I just walk for 45-60 minutes.

So my real question is this:

Can I lose weight and get in better shape if I am walking? It seems like every advocates for HIIT or all this weight lifting.(Not comfortable with that yet)

:ohwell:

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    yes, as long as you're in a calorie deficit
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can. Changing the slope is good, and as you're able try changing up the speed some also.

Keep in mind exercise/cardio/etc. is for fitness. As you're able you'll certainly want to incorporate strength training and there may be some advice for you as to what you can do with knee, etc. issues. (I don't know...)

BUT also be aware the biggest factor in weight loss is eating at a deficit while still eating enough to fuel your body. Log your food, weigh your portions, be 100% accurate and honest with everything you put in your mouth.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yes. As others pointed out, as long as you're in a calorie deficit (within your daily allowance given by MFP) you'll lose weight. Exercise is more about physical fitness/health.

Walking is great exercise (and my personal favorite). Make sure you're swinging your arms, not holding on to the rails. If you feel like you have to hold on, reduce your speed and/or incline until you're more comfortable. With time and practice, you should be able to increase speed/incline comfortably without having to hold on.

P.S. There will always be people who say you "should" be doing this or that but honestly, when it comes right down to it, the best exercise is whatever you enjoy doing so that you continue doing it regularly/consistently. Good for you for recognizing your comfort level!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yes, as long as you're in a calorie deficit

This!^

Walking burns calories & can be good cardio. Just push yourself a little more each time....you'll get there. Cardio is great for your heart & builds stamina.

Re: strength training. This will help you keep muscle while eating at a moderate deficit....definitely add this at some point.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I usually walk outside because when I get tired I can't turn the machine off and jump off. I have to keep walking to get home or back to my car if I am on a trail. Just moving and standing to do things when ever you can also helps.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I broke my hand a couple of months ago and couldn't drive or go to the gym, i had to walk everywhere. A calorie deficit and walking helped me lose weight successfully! Get a good speed up over time and it will become easier. Best of luck to you :)
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You can sit on your butt to a healthy weight. The calorie deficit is the key factor in losing weight but adding in exercise, walking definitely counts in this respect, can aid in getting you there.
  • drumbum77DW
    drumbum77DW Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Something that helped me in the beginning was to walk the flat roads and run up hills. If you can't run up the hills yet, just do a faster walk up them. Short bursts of energy will melt the fat off very fast. The roads I was walking on I'm now running and the hills I was running up I'm now sprinting up. When you feel like quitting, remember why you started! :smile:
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the calorie deficit is most important. But walking is a great way to work up to other exercise, or fine by itself (see ticker). It gives you some extra calories to work with, too. My motto: Will walk for wine. :drinker:
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well you don't actually have to exercise to get to a healthy weight at all, but it does make it easier. Weight loss as others have said is really about calorie deficit. However, you can actually burn a fair number of calories walking and that gives you a bit more flexibility in your diet.

Walking is actually the only exercise you need to do in order to achieve functional fitness.

Not that you shouldn't do other exercises if they appeal to you but unless you have goals beyond simple functional fitness it's not a requirement.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yes OP, walking is definitely exercise. The more out of shape you are the more exercise it is. Technically you can lose weight without exercising at all but I would encourage you to begin an exercise routine and going for regular walks is a good place to start. Low impact, very little chance for injury and it will improve your cardiovascular fitness.