I am so tired of....

Options
cooking two to three different meals at one time! Both my boys are skinny as bean poles, so as long as they eat their veggies I pretty much let them eat what they want, my husband, just doesn't care and usually will eat cereal, (even if a meal is cooked :explode:, yeah, that irritates me) and a meal for me. I wish I could come to a happy medium somewhere!! I have one son that loves veggies and another that you just as soon eat potato chips or chicken nuggets all the time. I am at a loss, does anyone have any "happy medium" ideas?

Replies

• twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    cooking two to three different meals at one time! Both my boys are skinny as bean poles, so as long as they eat their veggies I pretty much let them eat what they want, my husband, just doesn't care and usually will eat cereal, (even if a meal is cooked :explode:, yeah, that irritates me) and a meal for me. I wish I could come to a happy medium somewhere!! I have one son that loves veggies and another that you just as soon eat potato chips or chicken nuggets all the time. I am at a loss, does anyone have any "happy medium" ideas?
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have the exact same problem, minus the husband. I am looking forward to any suggestions that may help. It is very frustrating.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    ask them what they want... you can still eat healthy and put in what they want.... Its a way to also help them eat healthy.. Have them try things and reward them depending on age of course... and as for hte husband my ex hated all healthy foods came from a long line of non healthy eaters so i made him make his own and i made enough for just us. your kids will help you if you tell them why you want to loose weight again.. age is an issue some times.. and as a treat have them have pizza or something once a week for helping you out.. make sure to treat yourself too.. good luck :P:flowerforyou:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    My kids are 10 and 8. They eat what I fix or they don't eat. I tell them over and over-"This house is not a diner and I am not a short order cook". I was met w/some resistance at first, but I stood strong, held my ground and when 7 pm rolled around and one of them was hungry b/c they didn't eat, I pulled out their plate from dinner I had wrapped up. A couple of times my most stubborn child went to bed w/out dinner, but he learned real quick. No matter what I fix they complain, but they eat it:wink: I think that's what they call tough love.:laugh:

*On a side note I always give them a choice of veggie, 2 choices that's it, one or the other, if they whine I pick.
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My kids are 10 and 8. They eat what I fix or they don't eat. I tell them over and over. This house is not a diner and I am not a short order cook. I was met w/some resistance at first, but I stood strong, held my ground and when 7 pm rolled around and one of them was hungry b/c they didn't eat, I pulled out their plate from dinner I had wrapped up. A couple of times my most stubborn child went to bed w/out dinner, but he learned real quick. No matter what I fix they complain, but they eat it:wink: I think that's what they call tough love.:laugh:
    DEF a good response.. thats how it was when i was a kid.. But Like i said my mom always asked if i wanted ot help and also what i liked to add sometimes if there wasnt a great substitue for veggies i could pick desert....but stand firm its your kitchen:bigsmile:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    well. I wish I could say it was that easy w/ my guy! but nope!

he's picky and some sensory issues too I feel but the older he gets I think its more just being picky, my two brothers were sooooo bad...and me and my sister ate everything...and well here I am...but I digress...

I try to incorporate at least one sure thing in our meals...like If I make pasta w/ veggies, he's not into the veggies at all...even chopped up super fine so I will cook w/ veggies in the broth I make his pasta or rice in and then put some aside for him w/ a little grated cheese and he's good and so are we....things like that...the only meat he eats is chicken...sometimes haddock if I fry it....so we basically have chicken a few times a week and I make extra to get him some in the event that he won't try that nights dish ....which is almost always! lol...he'll eat rice & pasta so its easy in this half Italian half spanish house LOL...he'll almost always get one or the other as a side dish!

I know its not good to give it to it really, I'm just glad he's opening up to some new foods that I don't mind really....what can ya do! sigh

wish I could offer more than, I feel your pain!
    hugs!
    Ali
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I may be mean, but at my house if they don't like it they don't eat!!! I make them at least try my food. I still cook everything normal, so they should be happy about that. But seriously I am not a buffet and couldn't afford to please them all anyways. It was hard at first, but now they I'm serious after having water for dinner. He,He!! Heidi
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    well. I wish I could say it was that easy w/ my guy! but nope!

he's picky and some sensory issues too I feel but the older he gets I think its more just being picky, my two brothers were sooooo bad...and me and my sister ate everything...and well here I am...but I digress...

I try to incorporate at least one sure thing in our meals...like If I make pasta w/ veggies, he's not into the veggies at all...even chopped up super fine so I will cook w/ veggies in the broth I make his pasta or rice in and then put some aside for him w/ a little grated cheese and he's good and so are we....things like that...the only meat he eats is chicken...sometimes haddock if I fry it....so we basically have chicken a few times a week and I make extra to get him some in the event that he won't try that nights dish ....which is almost always! lol...he'll eat rice & pasta so its easy in this half Italian half spanish house LOL...he'll almost always get one or the other as a side dish!

I know its not good to give it to it really, I'm just glad he's opening up to some new foods that I don't mind really....what can ya do! sigh

wish I could offer more than, I feel your pain!
    hugs!
    Ali

My son has sensory issues too, I grill pork chops, cut them up and tell him it's chicken. When I dim the lights in the dining room he tends to be better about eating. I've also had him start helping me set the table, that seems to help too.
  • ali106
    Options
    lol yes lighting is key! lol pork chops we can pass too...how to make the veggies look like chicken, or pasta is the question!! lol thank so much!

hugs!
    Ali

oh although I have to say...he has been tolerating pieces of tomatos on his pasta from the sauce, something he'd be like, "bye bye" which means get this outta here now lady....lol so I was pleased to see him gobble it down and have been putting more and more in his dishes so he gets used to it...stir fries here we come...I hope! lol
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    my children have grown up with "if you want to eat you will eat what I cook". Once they tested it a few times and went to bed without anything they now will eat whatever I cook. However, if they absolutly hate something I don't make it and will have it if I want when I go to a restraunt.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    My kids are 10 and 8. They eat what I fix or they don't eat. I tell them over and over-"This house is not a diner and I am not a short order cook". I was met w/some resistance at first, but I stood strong, held my ground and when 7 pm rolled around and one of them was hungry b/c they didn't eat, I pulled out their plate from dinner I had wrapped up. A couple of times my most stubborn child went to bed w/out dinner, but he learned real quick. No matter what I fix they complain, but they eat it:wink: I think that's what they call tough love.:laugh:

*On a side note I always give them a choice of veggie, 2 choices that's it, one or the other, if they whine I pick.

My girls are 4 and 2 and I do the same thing. I always tell them that it isn't a restaurant and they have to eat what I make. Since they were able to start eating table food, I only made one dinner. They are really good now. Thankfully they eat all vegetables and most of their protein. They love beans like chickpeas and kidney beans which is a nice change from your chicken and fish.
    They did and still do resist sometimes but I hold my ground. If they are hungry enough they will eat it.

I run my childcare business the same way. Mom's are always amazed at the things their children will eat in my home.

Good luck and all the best!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I find if it smells good while cooking they will eat it. When I saute chicken with garlic, and add a little basil and penne pasta, they eat it.

They like plain food; so our meals usually consist of some kind of roasted meat with herbs, fresh vege and baked potatoes or rice.

Here's one they all like..... actually, I'll post it on recipes, for potato fries.
  • SunnyInBuffalo
    Options
    I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old,,we write the week's meals out on Thursday night...that is when the negotiating takes place. Then my husband shops on Friday. This way, I refer to our list of meals and check the night before and then...they eat.

Took me a while to figure this out. Was in your shoes last year:flowerforyou:
  • slong0606
    slong0606 Posts: 3
    Options
    I joined www.cookinglight.com. I found a lot of meals on the website that will satisfy everyone in my family and they are low in calories/fat. It's free to join their website and there are thousands of recipes to choose from in any catagory you could think of....
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old,,we write the week's meals out on Thursday night...that is when the negotiating takes place. Then my husband shops on Friday. This way, I refer to our list of meals and check the night before and then...they eat.

Took me a while to figure this out. Was in your shoes last year:flowerforyou:

I don't have kids but I think that's a great idea! That way they're a part of the planning and you can steer them toward healthy choices. :o) However, if for some reason things don't go according to plan I'd make them eat whatever I did make.

I won't cook multiple meals... one is enough work! My nephew's came to stay with my family (they're only about 5 years younger than me) when I was a kid and were VERY picky because their mom fed them complete crap food all the time. So if they refused to eat something my mother (their grandmother) made for them she'd put it in the frige until they were hungry. One of them didn't eat for 3 days and she started really worrying about him but he finally gave in and just ate it.... great way to cure children's pickiness!
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    lol yes lighting is key! lol pork chops we can pass too...how to make the veggies look like chicken, or pasta is the question!! lol thank so much!

hugs!
    Ali

oh although I have to say...he has been tolerating pieces of tomatos on his pasta from the sauce, something he'd be like, "bye bye" which means get this outta here now lady....lol so I was pleased to see him gobble it down and have been putting more and more in his dishes so he gets used to it...stir fries here we come...I hope! lol

Hunny I had this problem introducing new veggies , so I cut them up so tiny they cant see them, like zucchini in speghetti sauce with tomato , mushroom, green pepper , onion ect. It still flavours the food , you get in your veggies and kids have no clue lol Ya gotta be SNEAKY lol
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options

Tough Love for sure! I only wish I had that back bone. My boys are 13 & 8, the 13 year old will at least try almost anything, the 8 year old on the other hand, if he doesn't like the way it looks, it is not going in his mouth. I ask them all every evening what they want, my husband just says "whatever the boys want" and what does the boys want ---- pizza, hamburgers, tacos, sloppy joes or chicken nuggets are the most popular. So I have quit asking them and just fixing supper.
    Thank you all, I am glad I am not alone in the battle of dinner table. :flowerforyou:
  • ali106
    Options
    [/quote]

Hunny I had this problem introducing new veggies , so I cut them up so tiny they cant see them, like zucchini in speghetti sauce with tomato , mushroom, green pepper , onion ect. It still flavours the food , you get in your veggies and kids have no clue lol Ya gotta be SNEAKY lol
    [/quote]

I like your style LOL....make the veggies ninjas! lol that's what I try to do, my guy has enough obsticles he overcomes daily with his ASD so I try to make meals a peaceful event for him lol....I'm gonna get that book by Jerry Seinfelds wife...she sneaks veggies into everything I hear....my kinda gal LOL

hugs and thanks so much!
    Ali
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I try to make similiar things. Like tonight my husband and I had crab enchiladas, so I made my 4 year-old a cheese and broccoli quesedilla. I also have him at least try one bite of what we are having. I make a lot of spicy mexican, etc., so I figure it's not really great for a 4 year old. Sometimes before I cook I ask him what he thinks and he might ask for PB & J so I make that for him. Unfortunately he is not into helping out with meal preparation. We also have a 1 year old, so he gets a lot of pasta with chicken or ham and veggies with some cheddar on it. I make a bunch on weekends and freeze it in his size portions. This also cuts down on giving him unhealthy stuff because it's so easy.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    UGH, you all reminded me of how weak I am with my kids. :sad:

My oldest is impossible - in his defense he has lots of emotional / ADD / ocd issues , but i don't try hard enough! so my youngest suffers because I cater to my oldest when cooking. I

I need strength and more ideas - Moms keep talking!!

We exist on 5 or 6 meals and I hate this rut we are in....