Grip Strength

Options
12by311
12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
Deadlifted 212# yesterday and my grip in my left hand sucks. Completed the lift but was losing focus because I felt my grip going.

I've been doing farmer's walks (40 lb dbs 50 yards, 4 sets) and rack pulls.

I use mixed grip.

Anything else in my form to be aware of or a lift I can do to improve? Searched the forum and didn't find anything different than what I'm doing.

Thanks good people.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    pull ups
    stiff leg deads
    kroc rows
    pinch plate holds
    I do a pull and a hold- so I deload to 60-70% and pull- hold count to 8-10 and then return- reset grip- pull hold and count to 8-10- I usually do 1-2 sets of 4-5 pulls.

someone said hammar throws I think- but I'm not 100% sure about that- he's a lifter on here- I never googled since I was at work. not sure if I have the name right
  • 12by311
    Options
    pull ups
    stiff leg deads
    kroc rows
    pinch plate holds
    I do a pull and a hold- so I deload to 60-70% and pull- hold count to 8-10 and then return- reset grip- pull hold and count to 8-10- I usually do 1-2 sets of 4-5 pulls.

someone said hammar throws I think- but I'm not 100% sure about that- he's a lifter on here- I never googled since I was at work. not sure if I have the name right

Thanks!

I do stiff leg right now.

I will definitely do kroc rows. Love pull motions.

Will try everything actually...can't do a pull up. :-/
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    pull ups
    stiff leg deads
    kroc rows
    pinch plate holds

Thanks!

I do stiff leg right now.

I will definitely do kroc rows. Love pull motions.

Will try everything actually...can't do a pull up. :-/
    Instead of pullups you can try hanging leg raises. Its an ab exercise, but if you can't do a pullup it'll give you the grip work of holding your body weight up while accomplishing something else at the same time (instead of just a static hold which is boring).

I like Step-ups with heavy dumbells too. Kind of like a farmer's walk, but you're getting some leg work in at the same time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Are you using chalk? When I don't use chalk, my grip tends to slip a little, as the little bit of sweat I produce in my hands screws me up. But, when using chalk, I haven't had any real problems.
  • jcallejabjj
    jcallejabjj Posts: 33
    Options
    Pulls ups and rope climb.
  • 12by311
    Options
    I do steps up occasionally and hanging leg raises occasionally. I guess I just didn't think about those helping my grip.

No rope available to climb.

No I do not use chalk. I didn't need it until now but may get some.

big thanks everyone
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do steps up occasionally and hanging leg raises occasionally. I guess I just didn't think about those helping my grip.

No rope available to climb.

No I do not use chalk. I didn't need it until now but may get some.

big thanks everyone

I went out of my way to add hanging leg raises for grip training- I hate them- (hate's a strong word) but they just do not inspire me LOL

even hanging knee raises are a good jumping point if the full leg lift is to much right now.