Two questions about logging: raw or cooked, US vs. CAD

Options
mathandcats
mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
These have been nagging me awhile. First off, if I make scrambled eggs in the morning, I log all the ingredients separately - 2 large raw eggs, 3/4 tsp butter, bit of salt and pepper. It comes out to 172 cal. There's an entry in the database for scrambled eggs with a lot of confirmations, which puts two large scrambled eggs at 203 cal. Is it better to keep logging in the way I am? I don't know what preparation is implicit in saying 'scrambled eggs' from the database. A lot of people put milk or cream in, for instance.

Also, a metric cup is 250mL, while an American cup is approx. 238mL. I log by weight when I can, but sometimes there's no option, or I'm away from my scale. When the database has it by cups, I'm never sure whether it's a metric cup or an American cup. How do you guys resolve this? I'm Canadian, so I use metric cups, and wonder if I'm underestimating some things.

Replies

• kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I log my scrambled eggs the same way you do as I don't add milk so always assumed the database entry would be off.
    I hadn't realized there was a difference in cup size, though, so following for responses!
  • yajeeb
    yajeeb Posts: 3
    Options
    There is probably too much of a margin of error to be able to precisely document the correct food nutritional contents for stuff like scrambled eggs or "cups". I have scanned the bar code only to have the results for nutrition on MFP not match the label of the item I'm scanning. It's probably most plausible that a cup is American unless otherwise stated.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have found some of the things I log come in Canadian, example fiber one bars if you scroll down a bit they come in it will say Canada. I also think but now have to check again when I put in 1 cup it says 250 mls but now you have me thinking. I would keep logging the way you like you say everyone makes things different and since you log all ingredients you should be fine.