Does anybody make good shoes anymore?

Options
2»

Replies

• ThinkInOregon
    ThinkInOregon Posts: 283
    Options
    I have a pair of Nike dual fusion and they have a small hole in the toe. Disgusted to say the least. They were expensive and only lasted about 4 months, they are so comfortable, though. Unfortunately, I won't buy them again. I am not even a runner. I work in a hospital.

I used to work as an ER nurse, and would buy aerobic walking Nike's about every 3-4 months for work. Worn only for work, that was their lifespan. Then they were retired for yard work and new ones were purchased for work. I would routinely log over 5 miles a shift, and over 8 miles for a busy Friday or Saturday night. I could feel it in my lower back when the shoes were ready for replacement.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I agree that you really just have to find what works best for you. For me, the Fila running shoe has held up well and adjusts well to my unique foot. (I too have a relatively high arch and no/low arch shoes don't work at all for me)...
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Asics gel noosa tri 8<333
    The only shoes that can get me through an 8.5hr shift where I'm constantly on my feet :)
    Feels like pillows on my feet
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Sketchers?Ha Ha ha.

What brand do you think the man who won the 2014 Boston Marathon wears? They may not be the right fit for you but they may be for the OP or somebody else (like Meb).

There is a reason why people need to get a fitting done and go from there and not just blindly go to, or discount, a brand.
    I bought a pair of Sketchers Shape Ups because my feet are flat and point outward and my legs and feet hurt so badly, I could barely walk after 10 minutes. My husband made me buy them and wear them while we were out at a Farmers Market and they helped me so much, I found two pairs of sandals so I could wear them to work. Seriously, those shoes saved my feet and help me to walk and even jog without pain. I love them and am bummed that I cannot find the sandals anymore. :(
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I bought the Brooks at a running store. They did a running analysis and recommended those and a pair of Saucony. I originally went with Saucony because it had more cushion, but they caused shin splints. I returned those and got the Brooks, which were good for awhile. One day I went walking all over town, part of which was on the side of a hill (it was a scavenger hunt thing). After that, the shoes seemed to have shifted and it always felt like I was walking on the side of the hill.

My current pair of Nikes have completely flattened out on the inside. My metatarsal heads hurt pretty bad, and my knee and lower back pain has returned.

It did occur to me that, perhaps, all the lightweight running shoes are just not as durable as "regular" sneakers.

I don't normally recommend insoles, but if you aren't getting enough mileage out of a pair of shoes, insoles may be your answer. It's cheaper to replace those than the entire shoe (and they tend to last longer than shoes anyway), provide a lot of support throughout the arch and midfoot, and the right combo can work really well. Superfeet are my favorite athletic insoles, though others make stuff too. You may need a different shoe to match up with the insole in order to provide the correct amount of support though.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Saucony and New Balance run wider. I don't understand how you have a high instep but flat feet? You can do a video chat at Roadrunner and they will help you pick a shoe. They do a pretty good job and have a good return policy.

The Saucony Guide 7's might work for you. They hold up really well. If you're worried about longevity don't get the super lightweight shoes. They're made from speed and in my experience don't last as long. My running shoes last anywhere from 300 to 500 miles.

Maybe OP has highly flexible arches that collapse when walking/running? That was my only guess as far as that comment goes.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the low 200s and have Flintstone feet. I have a high instep, wide flat feet, overpronate, and like to wiggle my toes. With good shoes, I'd walk (briskly, with random spurts of running) 20 miles/week.

Given that description there are a fairly small number of shoes that are likely to be suitable for you, the combination of weight and pronation mean that you're looking at a motion control shoe built for thee heavier runner. To put it bluntly there is a difference between the correct shoe and the comfortable shoe, for you.

Running shoes have a lifespan of between 30 and 500 miles, subject to a number of factors. The lower end of that is likely for a lighter weight shoe, the upper end for a heavier shoe.

It's not out of the question that you'd benefit from orthotics as well.

If the main thing is walking then it may even be worth looking at approach shoes, rather than running shoes.
  • gregallen549
    Options
    I used to wear Brooks. Switched to Asics and never looked back. Great running shoes.
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The best thing is to find out what shoe fits best for you. Even different shoes in the same brand will be different. I've had lots of success with Saucony and Adidas. I tried New Balance, but they just weren't for me. I think the best thing is to try on a lot of different shoes. Also, buy for the type of running your doing. If you're doing running outdoors on trails, you'll need a trail runner. If you're indoors on a treadmill, don't buy a trail runner as it will slow you down. If you're doing a lot of running, shoes eventually do wear out faster than they would for just everyday wear. I used to go through shoes every 6 months when I ran everyday.