I am injured - groin strain / pull.

Options
Well .. I exercise reasonably hard and I know that this was always an issue. I have always had tight adductor muscles.

But I have a groin strain / pull. I got it yesterday while walking .. but I did do some running previous.

Yesterday after wards I could not walk .. way too much pain when I put any weight on that leg. Today is not much better.

Just wondering for others that have had this issue ... looking for some advice. Right now ... I figure no exercise or anything as I let this thing hopefully heal. The last thing I want is a chronic nagging injury.

Do I need to get this checked out ? Or will it just go away on it's own ?

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    First step, rest. No more working out for a bit. Seriously, it's easy to aggravate it.

I got my last groin pull two years ago playing soccer. I'm reasonably fit, but only "train" moving front and back (running a bit, and cycling a lot). sideways movement result in a seriously painful strain. It wasn't completely crippling, I could walk and ride the bike easy, but it was visible bruised, purple tinged, about 3 cm x 10 cm in the inside of the right leg.

I've had these pulls before from martial arts. Really not much to do but rest. Icing works if done right way, and mild compression. But really just let it heal for a week or so. If it does not improve, see an MD. If you're alarmed by it, see a doctor. I wasn't worried since I've had them before.

http://athletestreatingathletes.com/body-map/adductors-groin
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Thanks .. I am definitely going to take it easy .. and rest is just fine. I will give it a couple of weeks before I do anything.

Take care
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I pulled my gracilis in November...it still bothers me.

I didn't rest long enough.

I did go to my GP and went to physio for it...it is slowly getting better each day but would be better if I had done my rehab more consistently...I didn't.

https://secure.familyhealthtracker.com/deliver.aspx?s=sm&t=di&l=en&f={49da64ea-a218-4d34-9fd8-c6a53e18f0a3}&key=26dd85c28d515a89bff6d8625ddf298a

that is the link to the rehab I was given and it has worked wonders...I still do it at least once a day and on days I lift 2x
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I pulled my groin a few years ago! Also while walking - how knew right!! Yikes Very painful. In the years that have passed it has led to a number of hip, knee and right leg problems, not the least being chronic sciatica... Long story short

REST and get it checked out RIGHT AWAY! :flowerforyou:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I pulled my groin once. It felt so good I pulled it three more times that night.
  • sc003ro
    sc003ro Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    make sure you ice....it really helps although sucks doing it
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Had to deal with that a few months back. Depending on how severe it is, you'll want to rest for 1-3 weeks, maybe even more. Then once you've got some movement back, start making sure you warm-up that area well before any activity (side lunges/cossack squats are pretty effective here. As hard goblet squat "sits" where you hold a weight down in front of you while squatting and stay there pushing on your knees for 15-30 seconds at a time)

You may want to incorporate some direct adductor/abductor work. Resistance band leg raises/crossovers, for example. Having strong legs in general might help you balance it out and keep it in place. I can say by experience it's something that might nag you forever if you've had a few pulls already. But it can be managed.

Diet can also play a role so make sure you're getting your healthy fats, some potassium and not too little sodium, too. And drink plenty of water.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • Kevalicious99
    Options
    I pulled my groin once. It felt so good I pulled it three more times that night.

I knew this was coming. No pun intended.
  • Kevalicious99
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I have an appt with my doctor next Tuesday .. and I will talk to him about it. I am doing better today .. 2 days and I am able to walk a bit better now and it is getting better at time goes forward.

Right now .. unless I am instructed otherwise, I am going to lay off the exercise for 2 weeks at least and go slow at that point. I really do not want this to be a chronic injury.

I do think that I only strained it .. as I don't think I did anything crazy. But then you never really know what really caused the injury.

Take care