Stress eating

Options
i personally think i've managed to keep my eating under control recently - i've looked online to check out healthier options than i usually have before i go shopping so i know whats the lowest in fat version available, am eating a LOT more fruit and vegetables and feel so much healthier - body & mind.

however, something new that id rather wipe out the picture altogether is beginning to occur, and is causing binges almost every fortnight, or roughly three weeks at most. ive recently began some courses and have some VERY important exams in january that require serious revision to begin in early october, and to be honest its quite hard to keep on top of all the time. anyway, i am starting to find that whenever ive got a day of hard revision infront of me, im more likely to binge and be even more stressed!

i know theres obviously no simple, quick answer available but just wondering - for those of you out there who also eat when stressed or used to, whats the best way to cope?

much thanks :)

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Sounds easy,but not...have to find another way to cope with stress,,,,.exercise,walk,mall,park, call a friend,you can do this!:wink:
  • wife2mikejh
    Options
    I am also a stress eater. I will do so good, but if something goes wrong, I'm bringing out the Reese's Cups and doritos:( I need tips also!
  • ppenton
    ppenton Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am also a stress eater and last week was tough. But, I kept no change or dollars in my wallet so I couldn't go to the machine. I ate 3 meals and 3 snacks (healthy) so I was eating all day and didn't feel like binge eating. It is so tough. I quit buying the junk food for the house also. My kids will have to learn to eat granola bars, soups, fruit, veggies, etc. If I do buy something for the house, I make sure it is something I hate, that way I have no temptation. You have to keep yourself fed 3 meals and 3 snacks. I saw a nutritionist last Friday and I have been doing this ever since and I am never hungry. This is the first time in over 20 years I have not wanted to eat.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I too am a stress eater, but when I feel the urge to munch instead of ice cream which is what I use to go for I munch on popcorn, mini rice cakes, pretzels, weight watchers ice cream bars, klondike slim bars or skinny cow ice cream sandwiches. It is hard not to munch so try to limit it and munch on things that are low cal and low fat. I hope this helps
  • Melody96
    Melody96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My dog died this week and it has been a very stressful week with me in the hospital also...However make it a point to stay away from the food that you go to most for stress, like bad stress. Mine is ice cream, the day before his death I had some, after that no more. What I've been doing is eating fruits, soups, and allow myself alittle chocolate or cut myself a little slack. When stressed make sure to post EVERYTHING you eat and be honest, again allowing little slack....it's amazing how fast those calories add up. And if you KNOW you're going into a stressful situation that will have food out and available, avoid the fun. Don't eat. Eat soup or something, and think of your better life....I know you probably have heard it all....I have too. However with this current stressful situation, that won't ever go away, I have found that I have more strenght. If you're truly stressed over a current event, food will be easier to avoid, take time to slow down, go on an almost liquid diet, and challenge yourself to see, what is truly important. What you're eating is not, relationships are. Is this going to help your relationships? After this week, I don't care. I eat when I want, I realize when I don't when I know I have to report here. And life may just end up better than ever.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am a stress eater. I was feeling it today, it's been building all week with a busy week. Today I decided to exercise instead. I put on a movie from netflix and got on the exercise machine. It was 60 minutes before I decided I'd better quit! It curbed my appetite as well as some of the stress. It was a lot more healthy than my usual comfort food. I feel better after, instead of worse.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    My dog died this week and it has been a very stressful week with me in the hospital also...However make it a point to stay away from the food that you go to most for stress, like bad stress. Mine is ice cream, the day before his death I had some, after that no more. What I've been doing is eating fruits, soups, and allow myself alittle chocolate or cut myself a little slack. When stressed make sure to post EVERYTHING you eat and be honest, again allowing little slack....it's amazing how fast those calories add up. And if you KNOW you're going into a stressful situation that will have food out and available, avoid the fun. Don't eat. Eat soup or something, and think of your better life....I know you probably have heard it all....I have too. However with this current stressful situation, that won't ever go away, I have found that I have more strenght. If you're truly stressed over a current event, food will be easier to avoid, take time to slow down, go on an almost liquid diet, and challenge yourself to see, what is truly important. What you're eating is not, relationships are. Is this going to help your relationships? After this week, I don't care. I eat when I want, I realize when I don't when I know I have to report here. And life may just end up better than ever.

omg I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. :( I would definitely be struggling if one of mine were to pass, good for you for not giving in even in such a rough time!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Do you go for salty or sweet when your stressing? I would keep healthy versions for those foods around when you know your going to be stressed. If your more of a salt person, keep popcorn around. You can down quite a bit of popcorn without maxing out your calories (I've eaten a whole bag before lol)

If you go for sweets, sugar free Jello is AWESOME only 10 cal a cup....I get that artificial stuff is bad for you, but you know, its probably still better if you eat 10 Jellos (100 cal total) than going to dairy queen and getting there 700 cal blizzard. lol I also like the sugar free puddings (60 calories) ...and for an extra treat whipped cream. :) I think you feel more satisfied because you kind of feel like you binged out (maybe eat 3 puddings or 10 jellos lol)...but you didn't eat your days worth of calories in one sitting.

I also think if you can, having fruit and veggie trays at home helps...cause you can just whip those out and eat and eat...and eat...