workout clothes - plus size?

Options
Reading another thread made me remember what I saw this weekend. I was at a big sports retailer to buy shoes and started browsing through the activewear. They had all the name brands -Adidas, Reebok, Under Armour etc. I was only able to find one item in an XL. (still too small for me though) Everything else L was the biggest size. Plenty of XS though!

I'd like to get some nice looking stuff for when I'm active, tired of all the baggy clothes hanging off me (Yay me! lol)

So where do you find plus size work out clothes? It doesn't have to be brand name. I just shared that because it made me think those companies only market to the already averaged sized - to heck with anyone bigger! :laugh:

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I used to be a UK 24 and I think I got some trousers from here: http://www.stateofmindactive.com/plus-size-bottoms-s/1817.htm. They were tight 3/4 length ones, but they don't appear to have any like that anymore.

I've also had things from Decathlon before (you can order online) and they go from 2XS-2(or 3)XL.

I never used to have much luck with actual shops and apart from Decathlon and Go Outdoors. I can fit into smaller sizes now, but still buy online, £30 for a pair of running pants? Nads to that.

Whilst I don't think I'll ever be parading around in hotpants and sports bra, equally, baggy yoga pants aren't great for working out in either.

Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Old navy has decent affordable stuff online.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    try Target
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Try target ... the C9 (champion) line has 2xl ... which is great but the difference between XL and 2XL seems to be pretty great because the XL's are still way too tight and the 2XL's now fall off of me... ugh. Big Girl / Big Booty problems
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant has a decent Reebok line, and some athleta stuff goes up to a 2x, which I found to be about the same or maybe slightly larger than Target's XXL.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I like the stuff from jcpenneys. I believe the brand is Xersion...goes up to a 3x and I find that the workout pants don't tend to slide or fall down like some other brands do.
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm very fat and my workout clothes are simple. I wear leggings from walmart (Faded Glory brand - 12 bucks for two), Danskin bike shorts (these are super stretchy - no idea how they fit on me, honestly) over the leggings, a long tanktop from forever 21 ($5 for one), and another loose Men's tanktop over it.

The essential part for me is a good sports bra. I'm a 46DD and my sports bra from Lane Bryant keeps my boobs in place, thank God. This is the one I wear: http://www.lanebryant.com/active/sports-bras/sport-by-cacique-convertible-underwire-sport-bra/20230c20242p127197/index.pro

I know my workout outfit isn't the prettiest but it gets the job done. I wear the shorts over the leggings when I'm doing weights and strength training but I usually just wear the leggings if I'm doing cardio because it's easier. No one cares as long as you're decent, I've found.
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll have to check out Old Navy online. I'm north of the border and I've found our Targets lacking compared to the ones I've been to in the US. :grumble:

I was sure I had seen stuff at Walmart before but haven't been able to find it again. I'll have to search more thoroughly.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Nobody gears these for Canada :)

The XXL at Loblaws/Zehrs/Real Canadian superstore (not sure what's in Hamilton) are fairly forgiving.

Maurices? Has it made it up there yet?

Rietman's, Penningtons, Sears, Wal-mart.

Yeah, Target here sucks. And yet they're opening more...
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    My biggest issue is to find underwear that will "contain" and "hold in place" when i do cardio work outs (jumping jacks etc...)
    I end up wearing a Champion bra which I got in the US plus a 'sports bra' on top of it for extra support... Clothes are nightmarish indeed