People Shapers

Options
MireyGal76
MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
I have a bunch of amazing friends on my list... and one of them is honest and open about the struggles he faces, as a teacher.
The perspective that I have seen him share, through the course of his blogs and posts, has shown to me that he is a truly amazing person, and one that I would have loved to have in my life as I grew up. He is a "people shaper".

It caused me to think about the People Shapers in my life.

I remember my grade three teacher, Mr K, who let me bring in barbies to play with because I'd finish my work early and bug everyone. Rather than get mad at me, he worked with me to find a way to let me be creative and NOT disruptive.

I remember my high school Commercial Art teacher... who taught us what criticism was like... and how to handle the bad criticism. He dealt out some harsh criticism, but we all knew that he loved us like his own children... and the lessons I learned were invaluable.

My dad taught me the value of pushing hard. He used to say, if you are creative, you can solve most problems... anything is possible if you believe in yourself.

My mom taught me what it's like to love and be loved. And hugged. LOTS. No matter how badly I failed - she was there, loving me.

There are people here, on this site, on my FL - who continually walk with me, and with others... investing of themselves... sometimes not realizing that they are being people shapers themselves.

And it made me wonder...

Who are some of the key people shapers in your life?

and... more importantly... who are YOU shaping?

Replies

• crazie4lulu
    crazie4lulu Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    i know zactly who you are talk bout. Hoss.... hang in there only 8 more days!!! as for People shapers in my life? i would havee to say my first grade teacher Mrs Bates... She was simply the best teacher i ever had. She is the one who taught me everything from the get go... and i firmly believe i was taught good mannerism and respecting your elders from her as well.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There are people here, on this site, on my FL - who continually walk with me, and with others... investing of themselves... sometimes not realizing that they are being people shapers themselves.

Sidesteel owns this market. Awesome guy! :drinker:
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    That amazing thing about MFP is that everyone here shapes someone one way or another. The OP is one of the strongest women you could hope to meet. She ain't bad on the eyes either. ;-)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    In to praise the Hossman

...and contribute to thread.

Although Im sure I am missing many, off the top of my head, one people shaper I think of often is my Journalism teacher.

Journalism teacher in High School (Mr. L) - I never thought it was "cool" to write. I didn't think I had much ability with it either. He proved me wrong on both points. He made me believe in myself like no other teacher has. He ignited a passion and he pushed me. At one point, I told him I wanted to start a school newspaper. He fully supported it. Problem was - I wasn't exactly the model student at this point. I was a smart kid turned slacker (thanks weed!) and the school knew it. They turned me down, saying straight up - I was not allowed to start a school newspaper.

I remember being pretty bummed (I was a year away from applying for an exclusive college journalism program and it would look great). He had a brilliant suggestion. In HIS exact words (I won't forget this). "**** them". He told me to start it anyways. He gave me (and my team) early morning access each week, to use the computers to layout and print our papers. When I asked if he would get in trouble his response was again "**** them". When I asked if they would care about the ink and paper, again he responded "**** them".

Paper was great success, got into my program and I will never forget him.

Sidenote to Hoss - the admin of the school hated this man. They didn't make things easy for him. But I know for a fact he changed this student's life. From talking to other people through the years, I was far from the only one as well.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    In to praise the Hossman

...and contribute to thread.

Although Im sure I am missing many, off the top of my head, one people shaper I think of often is my Journalism teacher.

Journalism teacher in High School (Mr. L) - I never thought it was "cool" to write. I didn't think I had much ability with it either. He proved me wrong on both points. He made me believe in myself like no other teacher has. He ignited a passion and he pushed me. At one point, I told him I wanted to start a school newspaper. He fully supported it. Problem was - I wasn't exactly the model student at this point. I was a smart kid turned slacker (thanks weed!) and the school knew it. They turned me down, saying straight up - I was not allowed to start a school newspaper.

I remember being pretty bummed (I was a year away from applying for an exclusive college journalism program and it would look great). He had a brilliant suggestion. In HIS exact words (I won't forget this). "**** them". He told me to start it anyways. He gave me (and my team) early morning access each week, to use the computers to layout and print our papers. When I asked if he would get in trouble his response was again "**** them". When I asked if they would care about the ink and paper, again he responded "**** them".

Paper was great success, got into my program and I will never forget him.

Sidenote to Hoss - the admin of the school hated this man. They didn't make things easy for him. But I know for a fact he changed this student's life. From talking to other people through the years, I was far from the only one as well.

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing :happy: