Skin bruises easily with certain exercise.

Options
hiyomi
hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
So anytime I do any exercises that require me to be on my knees, such as modified push-ups or these weird ab twists, my knees bruise really easily! I have a yoga mat too, but it barely seems to help. I still do the exercises, but the next day I'm left with bruises on my knees and it usually hurts too much to put my weight on them. (I'm big, 264 lbs) the same goes for certain gym equipment, like doing squats while having the bar with weights over my shoulders, my shoulders will also bruise very easily! does anyone know any way to prevent this or stop this without having to eliminate certain exercises? thanks :)

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Well, you might just be prone to bruising or have some kind of skin condition. :ohwell: Do you take any steroids? I don't mean to get giant muscles or anything, but there are some medications (ointments, inhalers for asthma, etc.) that contain steroids, and they do weaken the skin and make it easier to bruise.

And I don't know how long you've been doing these exercises, but it might simply be working up a tolerance. I've danced most of my life, and I often get bruises when learning something new. If I keep practicing, the bruises usually lessen or stop all together.
  • hiyomi
    Options
    nope no steroids or medications of the sort. not even vitamins, which I should be taking. maybe I just have to get used to it as you said. I don't do them that often which may be the reason why,
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is this a new thing, or has it always happened?
  • hiyomi
    Options
    since I started exercising about two years ago, it seems to happen with any and most knee exercises. excluding running or walking.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There are some nutritional and medical reasons for easy bruising, so if you're concerned about it, i would talk to a doctor. They can do blood tests to find out the cause.

How far do you typically run per week?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There are some nutritional and medical reasons for easy bruising, so if you're concerned about it, i would talk to a doctor. They can do blood tests to find out the cause.

I bruise easily too...had a doozy on my shoulder blade from benching...

always have...

I had blood work done...nothing showed just figured it was due to fair skin showing it easier...

But yes possibly talk to your doctor...

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/bruising-easily-can-be-normal-but-sometimes-signals-an-underlying-problem
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

I bruise easily too...had a doozy on my shoulder blade from benching...

always have...

I had blood work done...nothing showed just figured it was due to fair skin showing it easier...

But yes possibly talk to your doctor...

http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/bruising-easily-can-be-normal-but-sometimes-signals-an-underlying-problem

QFT.

I bruise easy period. I got some nasty shin bruises from kickboxing once. Didn't see them for a couple days. I started taking 1/2 an iron pill and find I don't bruise so easily. However, I had years ago by the Red Cross told that I had an iron deficiency.