Newbie needs calorie help

So I'm about 2 weeks into getting in shape. But, I can't help but go over my calorie goals no matter how hard I try!

I'm seeing a personal trainer 3x a week (Week 1.5 out of 9 so far) and I found out I burn 1160 calories just by sitting around. Trying to get under 1160 seems impossible for me. I'm inputting my exercise as "General Circuit training" which is 205 calories...but I still go over 1300 for the day.

I have coffee w/creamer and an Almond Breakfast bar in the morning
Lunches are a mess - Sandwiches/Chips/Drink combos from Subway/Potbelly (chicago) I NEED IDEAS!!!
Dinners - Cereal and yogurt

Plus a protein bar after workouts.

It doesn't seem like NEARLY enough food, but I'm still over and I don't know what to do! I want to lose 8lbs, but I'm trying to gain 5 lbs of muscle. I am VERY new to a lifestyle change and it's making me nervous!

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Go here first and read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Also know that you can't lose 8 lbs and gain 5 lbs of muscle at the same time. You will need to lose the 8 lbs with a calorie deficit and then gain the 5 lbs of muscle through a combo of calorie surplus and proper resistance/strength training plan.

If 1160 is your BMR then you should aim to eat above that, but below your TDEE. Again, if you didn't, read the link above.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    I try to stick to the rule to eat foods with 1 ingredient. The has me eating whole foods which will give you much more volume for the calories and help you to stay full for longer periods of time. Plan meals ahead of time. Hitting nutritional goals takes time and effort. Also, a diet higher in protein will help keep you from being hungry.

The minimum you should be eating is 1200 cal/day. Your body needs fuel to function, so you need to feed it appropriately. I always recommend that people eat as much as they can while losing weight. If you can eat 1500 cal/day and lose weight, do it.

Allan