I've had it up to *here*

Options

Replies

• krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Accept that feeling this way is part of the process and keep going.

THIS.

You'll feel like quitting a million times over. I'm not on a diet, I'm eating everything I want just in smaller portions. I still get tired of logging everything and being so mindful of eating and exercising all the time but it is the UTMOST important thing ever in your ENTIRE life!!!! Realize wanting to quit is part of the whole journey, and keep on keepin' on. Just be consistent. It'll work.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I am done.

I have been watching my diet and exercising since January. I want to throw in the towel. I don't want to cook, count calories, plan my day around working out, or play the mental games of staying motivated. What do you do when you feel this way?

I completely understand how you feel. I was diagnosed with type II diabetes just over a month ago. I've been trying to faithfully prick my fingers four times/day and eat "right" since then. Today I sat down and cried because "I don't want to do this anymore." All I wanted was for it to stop being so *complicated* now and for it to go back to my being able to eat a second helping of red beans and rice or to chow down on a back of popcorn and a cup of hot chocolate while watching a movie.

So I cried it out and talked myself back from the ledge of letting it all go and going to McD's for a double cheeseburger meal with large fries and a diet coke. I know I have to keep it up for the long haul and hope that it gets "easier" in maintenance. I don't know what else I can do about it, since I have to make lifelong changes--although when I go away for the dog show this summer, I might allow myself to eat at maintenance level instead of needing to struggle with eating at a deficit while I'm gone.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    pleasurelittletreasure Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I talk to my dog. Seriously. He listens. He cuddles with me. He doesn't tell me to stop feeling sorry for myself OR to take it easy on myself - he just listens. I think this place can kind of be dog-like. Well, less the cuddling. :wink:

It's good you came here with your frustrations. If anyone is going to 'get it', this is the place. I'm one year :grumble: into my new-better-me-plan and I've been fed up approx. once a week. So very glad I found this site. I've come just a-reading a few times, before joining, and it reminded me what it was I was striving for and helped to refocus on the good changes I've made. I try to view it like the weather when I'm fed up: Maybe I'm having a cloudy attitude day/week/month but my true SUMMER is what I'm doing for myself.
  • Agatefairy
    Agatefairy Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just give myself credit for the little steps I've taken to become healthier. I've been logging in for almost a month. It's going to take about a year to get to my goal weight safely. I have been working out almost daily-logging in-take credit for those things. I feel stronger, and I'm making positive lifestyle changes. You're still here-you're still trying-give yourself credit!! Taking the right road to a better you isn't easy. We live in a society of instant gratification, but permanent weight-loss cannot be obtained instantly obviously. Crash diets don't work--every celebrity on the planet has diet supplements, fitness DVd's etc, etc, etc. Just keep pushing--it is worth it. Deep down you know it is, or you wouldn't be feeling this way at all. You'd just give up. :flowerforyou:
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Take a break from it all for a week. or maybe longer ?
    I have done that a couple times but always come back to it because I feel so much better.
    I have also recently decided that working on short term goals for weight loss work much better than long term.
    I focus on 2 weeks at a time, that's it. And it's working.
    Hang in there !
  • Allen_Mohs
    Allen_Mohs Posts: 3
    Options
    For me, I keep looking back at how lousy I felt when I didn't exercise. I have been going to a gym for about 3 months now and I already feel better. The food tracking does keep you informed on what you are eating and I have to watch my salt intake because I drink a lot of water thru out the day. I can tell you that salt is in everything and hard to keep down to a good limit.

Allen
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I have been watching my diet and exercising since January. I want to throw in the towel. I don't want to cook, count calories, plan my day around working out, or play the mental games of staying motivated. What do you do when you feel this way?

I don't feel this way. I have 3 things going for me that have kept me on track:

1. a real reason for wanting to be in shape that would be kick boxing competitively and not suck. It's a concrete goal. I have to be in my weight class (145 lbs). I need strength, flexibility and endurance not to suck in competition. It's not a nebulous "I want to be in shape....and live till I'm old enough to just cork over and die from just being older than dirt".

2. I have a plan. Going to classes, going to the gym, measuring my food and keeping track of my calories and protein. This is not some random set of rules. It's how I'm not going to suck in competition.

3. I have routines. An overlooked thing that is the key to real success. I have my breakfast routine, lunch routine, workout routine, and dinner routine. I also have life routines that leave me free to follow these routines. I use flylady, an organizational helper on line, to keep my routines in place. When I drop the ball on my routines there is a hole in my day. It feels uncomfortable so I get back to my routines the next day.

It's not about how you feel it's about having a goal, a plan and a routine. Good luck!
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Take a nap.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror. No freaking way is *this* going to be the best I ever look.:noway:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to count calories and exercise. Those are important for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, which will get more and more important as you age. Do it for your future self knowing you'll kick yourself down the road if you give up now. Think of how much more energy you have and how much less soreness (back, knees, etc.) you'll have once you lose the weight. You won't tire out as easily and if you have any young kids/nieces/nephews/cousins you'll be able to keep up with them.

However, you need to allow yourself to have a treat every once in a while. Do a weekly goal instead of a daily goal so you can have one day a week to indulge in foods you like that aren't necessarily the best foods for you (sweets, foods that are high in calories, high in salt, etc.) Follow the 80/20 rule where 80% are healthy foods and 20% of your calories are indulgence.

A good way to eat less is to cut what you normally eat in half. Get a smaller plate. Wait at least 20-30 minutes before getting seconds and if you do get seconds make sure it's only 1/2 portion not an extra portion or two. Don't drink your calories, your primary beverage should be water.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    JoRocka, you ROCK!!

It's not about motivation, it's about commitment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Most people want to quit because of lack of results. So be honest and figure out why results may not be happening. Inconsistency? Lack of effort? Not REALLY logging correct calories?
    And as mentioned, COMMITMENT keeps one from quitting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i want to quit but then i see my results and i dont want to ever go back to how i was. I threw away most of my old clothes two weeks back. i never want to wear those sizes every again. hell no so thats why i am still here. plus i am stronger then i have been in years. keep at it its worth it you are worth it.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Ok so bye then. Because basically what you are saying is that you don't have the patience for a lifestyle change. Because that's what it is is - it isn't a fad diet, it is a change in the approach of how you eat.

Some people do, some people don't. Maybe this process isn't for you. It isn't for everyone. I know people who have far more success (for a time period anyway) with Slimmers World or Weight Watchers where they see a quick result and then lapse, go back, see a result - you get the picture.

We could tell you that you didn't 't put all this weight on in 5 months so it will take longer than that to come off, but you probably don't want to hear that.

You want motivation you say, lots of people chivvying you on to reach your final goal, but what kind of support do you give back? If someone stumbled in their journey and turned to you would you tell them you had up it up to here? How does that help them?

It's like when people say they want friends to make them accountable. The only person you are accountable to is you.

As others have said - sit down and have a good look at what you did achieve, take a step back and then decide what you feel comfortable with doing.

Then go do it - if it means finding another scheme, sulking about it and eating what & how you used to, or coming back to the MFP-type logging - it will be your decision and in your control.

FWIW - all my progress went skywards when I changed jobs and started working shifts and my exercise routine went to hell. I couldn't understand why I was logging and weight was going up (was using roadmap method) and was so gutted I put all that weight back on. A supportive friend told me to go back to the MFP way until weight shifted downwards and until I could re-establish a new training routine . Working away twice in the last three weeks affects all that again, but I know it will, and that I have to adjust again when I come back to it.

But I know I lost the weight once, and I will lose it again. That's all there is to it.

Now go make your decision.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If counting calories ticks you, take a break from that. Pre-plan the next two weeks using your diary and eat the foods you planned. If it's the amount of calories that ticks you, take a couple of weeks on maintenance!

This year will pass, with or without weight loss. Do you feel like "maaan I wish I did this last year, I would have been done by now". Imagine how you will be feeling next year if you quit now. If you stick to it, imagine how good it will feel being in maintenance.

Here is a trick, buy something you REALLY like one size smaller. It will keep you focused and motivated.

I know it's hard sometimes. Look closely at everything to see why you are feeling this way. Are you denying yourself too much? Have you not looked for FUN activities exercise so it's boring and monotonous to you? Are you going through certain rough times and general stress? It may not actually be the calorie counting, but other issues that you need to deal with.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you find a way.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I keep doing it ... simple. Quitting is not an option.
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I see you're problem.

You are trying to stay movitvated.

And that's not how this works.

The people that are really successful at this- are not "motivated" they are committed to the result- the end goal.

have a long term goal- and short term ones. and do the damn thing. Like it or not- warm fuzzies or not. crap your friends give you- or not.

You just must do the thing- because it's the thing you do.

this is something you can do "just for the time being" and you will feel like this..and most likely eventually quit.

Or you can accept that some days you don't feel like doing it but you do it anyway- and this is how life is because this is how your life must be in order to function. And when you reach THAT stage- is when it no longer becomes a feel like or not feel like- you just do it because you do it- much like brushing your teeth- doing your dishes- taking a shower- wiping after the bathroom

It's neither a good thing nor a bad thing you must motivate yourself to do- it's just the thing you do- because you do it.

You'll be fine- commitment and grind wins this game- not motivation.

^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Take a nap.

And ^^^THIS^^^

I've always heard you should "HALT" when you're Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired... now, this is coming from the girl who has been eating too much the past few days, but seriously... I've stopped beating myself up. What is the point? Stop it. Just realize that it's way easier to eat and have instant gratification than it is to do the things we detest to ultimately get the goals we want EVENTUALLY... who wants to wait until then? It sucks. It's hard. You can give yourself a few days off here and there. It's not easy. That is true. If you don't want to count calories and you're tired of the burden (we all get there sometimes), then just log in to MFP and mark down or shout out when you've exercised. "Hey guys, I got off my bum and walked for 40min today!" Just keep moving and even if you stop marking calories, just be sure to fill up on low cal/high volume foods like watermelon, carrots, celery, strawberries, basically most all fruits and veg. Want it to taste extraordinary, dip your carrots in a delish dip, spread on some creamy avocado to your sandwich or tacos, dip your strawberries in cool whip or yogurt, have your celery with crunchy peanut butter... Just do you and don't worry about what everyone else is going to think. You know yourself best and you know what it will take to keep you motivated, and like the person said that I quoted... yea, you may just honestly feel better after a good long nap.

Good luck!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    The problem I see with trying to keep diets is the fact that diets by nature are not permanent. Even if we reach our goal, we tend to go back to our old ways of eating which puts us back where we started.

I suggest you eat healthy foods, in small portions and only when you're hungry. Stop eating when you are full. Look up mindful eating habits. Add to his any type of exercise you can do few times a week at the minium and you have a good plan.

Keep in mind that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I've myself just joined myfitnesspal today and my plan is to document everthing I do in the next three months to prove that mindful eating, regula exercise, plenty of sleep and reduction of stress in my life are the key to a long term sustainable healthy lifestyle.

Keep going...We're all here to support eachother.
    I got out of obese range by dieting, and now I am almost out of overweight range. Slowly, very slowly, I am having some of the things I used to eat too much of before, but in moderation, and versions of them that are better for me, for example, yesterday I had some great low carb noodles, but a small amount (1/4 cup dry), next time will have a little more.

It can be done, but for me it takes planning, personally I enjoy it. It is fun looking in the mirror seeing my results, especially since I started lifting weights.
  • llonka
    llonka Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What's the alternative? Give up, go back to your old ways, then curse yourself in 6 months time when you get motivated again and have an extra 10 kilos to lose?

Been there. I quit at 80kg. Started again at 100. Quit at 90. Started again at 110. Most recently I quit at 98 and started again at 116.

Thing is, quitting doesn't mean just hopping off the train. Usually, it means hopping back on the one going the other way.

It sucks sometimes. It's a pain in the *kitten*. But a bigger pain in the *kitten* if having to do it all over again, so much further from the starting line.

EDIT: I've learned that it isn't motivation you need, it's resignation. "Woohoo, I'm going to do this!!" is all well and good, but what gets you over the line of days where it all just sucks is "*sigh* I have to do this".

This of it like a job. If you didn't go to work every day that you didn't really feel like it, you wouldn't have a job to go to.
    This makes total sense to me. I too am struggling like the OP and after I read your post, I feel better about the whole thing. Losing weight is just something we have to do (if we are not at a healthy weight), like going to work or college. Thank you for posting this!