HRM - coded vs uncoded??

Replies

• The first and last link are the strap only, without a watch or computer or some type of display they will be useless. Just FYI.

I use an HRM when cycling and love it. I'm not the best expert but I do know about coded versus un-coded because of my work. Basically the coded HRM's apply a semi-unique "code" to the data. This is mostly useful if you're near other people using HRMs, and will make it so that your systems do not interfere with each other and mess up each other's data. Another thing to consider is if you're only going to use this at the gym? I may be wrong but I seem to see that often it's Polar monitors that work with gym equipment, I've never done it myself but in those cases it's possible you may just need the strap.

Personally I'd go with at least a well know brand. They can be a bit finicky sometimes even for good brands. Bother Polar and Garmin are good. I used a Timex one for a while with success. It seems like most recent systems are coded, I see no reason not to go that route. Garmin is great for cycling but very expensive. The Polar looks like a great option for running or gym workouts.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    I don't know what coded vs uncoded is....but a couple weeks ago I bought the Polar H7, it's Bluetooth enabled and I use it with Digifit Icardio app on my Galaxy S5 and LOVE it! You need a phone that has the newer bluetooth technology if you go this route, so make sure to check! I also have a fitbit so I link the digifit with my fitbit app and then the fitbit to MFP so I'm not double counting anywhere.

If you get one definitely do the fitness assessments so that it registers your levels and doesn't go by the generic levels so you get a truer picture of your calorie burn. I've found it to really help make sure that I'm working hard enough and I use it both on the treadmill and walking outside. I plan to try it with my bike too the next time I'm out riding with my kids.

Good luck!!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    A non-coded HR strap can be picked up by any receiver that is within close proximity. A coded HR strap will pair with a watch and can't be picked up by another watch or interfere with anyone else.

If interference is a concern you might want to consider a coded HR strap/watch.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    IMO coded would be the way to go. Definitely limits interference from other HRM users. The Polar's work with most gym equipment (from my experience).

I too had a Timex. It worked fairly well but found myself using both straps on the exercise machines so I went back to Polar.

Bluetooth transmitter is also good especially if you would be using an app on a smartphone. Not sure of all app requirements but the ones I use (Polar Beat, Polar Flow, Cardiotrainer) require Polar transmitters so choose wisely.

The fitness assessment is also a nice feature.

Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    If you plan on being around other humans using HRMs, go coded.

What activities do you plan on conducting while wearing the HRM? Do you want something that connects simultaneously to a gym machine and your watch or phone? Do you have a training app currently that you plan on adding HRM data to or are you starting from scratch? If you want to connect it to your phone is the HRM compatible with your phone?
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    What you get depends on a couple things. First off, coded means that only a watch from the same company as that specific HRM will work. Uncoded means any brand watch can use the HRM. However, Polar and Garmin's watches typically don't work with uncoded. In addition, if you use fitness equipment at most gyms, uncoded do not work on them either.

If you are looking for a diverse HRM, the Polar H7 is a great option. You can get the free Polar Flow app. The H7 is Bluetooth and encoded. Most fitness machines work with Polar HRM coded signals, so it will work on the machines and with the app.

If you don't want to be bogged down with using your phone and an app, but you want GPS, I would go with Garmin. If you don't care about GPS, Polar is always a solid bet.