Can't exercise while pregnant. Feeling ****ty about myself.

Options
So I was addicted to working out before I got pregnant, counting calories eating clean and healthy. I was in love with my body. And now I'm 16 weeks pregnant and haven't worked out in about 3 months. After two months of all day morning sickness I now have the joy of living with my second round of Symphysis Pubic Disfunction. My pelvis is spreading apart too far to make room for the baby later on. I can't even walk to the playground down the street without having to sit on a bag of frozen peas when I get back. I can't roll over, get up, sit down, stand up anything without a lot of pain. I am so frustrated with having to be so inactive. I clean horse stalls for an hour once every two weeks for a lady. And that's getting to be too much for me as I progress. But what really depressed me was when I went yesterday and my arms were killing me within 10 minutes of shoveling. I feel like all my strength and muscles are wasting away and I feel really terrible about myself. I know it won't last forever and babies are always worth it but I am so unhappy. How do you deal with mandatory breaks from being able to be active? I've unliked all the fitness pages on my facebook because it just depresses me to see other people's progress. Especially the pregnant women who are still strength training and haven't gained a pound.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I had that in my 2nd pregnancy and could barely walk....

exercise does help but it obviously has to be the right kind... ask to see a physio and find out what exercises you can do that will help. Also there may be other things that can help. You don't have to just suffer and suffer with this with no help. If your doctor's not helping then get a 2nd opinion.
  • dalekhunter
    dalekhunter Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The doctor isn't helping and there is only one women's clinic in my town. Also insurance (military) doesn't cover chiro although at this point I wouldn't be beyond cashing out some stocks to get some relief. I can't imagine how much worse it's going to get in the next few months.
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe do something like prenatal yoga? That seems like it might be gentle enough, while still giving you the opportunity to work your body some.
  • dalekhunter
    Options
    I've thought about it but spreading my legs or putting them at any distance apart is painful so I think the moves I would be able to do would be limited. I tried it during my first pregnancy but couldn't do it for very long.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Take good care of yourself. I had to go on bedrest during my second pregnancy. But got very fit after my baby was born.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "swimming"... and by swimming I mean doing the old people walking workout- it's harder than it looks but easy on the body and easy to tailor to your energy/effort levels. something is better than nothing!

I would see someone who specializes if you could. Sorry about the issues!!
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I am so sorry you're dealing with SPD. I experienced that toward the end of my second trimester and into the third. I couldn't walk, get out of bed, or put on pants without excruciating pain. Have you tried vitamin C? Vitamin C is supposed to help strengthen the ligaments and tendons, also your amniotic sac. When you're pregnant, the ligaments supporting your uterus can get tight and pull on the pubic bone, causing that pain. Vitamin C seriously worked miracles for me. I made sure I was drinking TONS of water, at least 12 cups per day, and getting 3000 mg of vitamin C, like 3 packets of Emergen-C. Bioflavanoids are also supposed to help. You can find those in the rind or white parts of citrus fruit. I was totally pain-free after 2 weeks of my vitamin C regimen (and kept doing it until I gave birth).

Oh, eggs also!

http://birthfaith.org/do-it-yourself/got-lecithin
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, what you are going through sounds very challenging and painful and I cannot say that I understand.
    I went through terrible morning sickness in my first trimester and half of the second. I felt so sick all the time, I couldn't manage to tackle even my daily responsibilities. My 7yr old was making her own breakfast a lot of mornings while I was bending over the toilet. I felt so horrible, so unaccomplished. I had to just keep reassuring myself that it would go away and I would be able to be normal again.
    Now, getting close to the end, I am getting so frustrated with myself again. I get out of breath so easy, I am tired all the time and RLP (round ligament pain) is making even my daily walks miserable and I havent even been doing them daily anymore.
    All I can do is keep watching the calendar, counting down the days to where I will feel like a human again and feel like myself again.

I really hope you find some way of relieving some of that pain and a gentle way to strengthen your body without hurting yourself.
    In the mean time, remember that this is temporary and there is no reason to let it get you down and depressed. Someday soon you will be you again :)
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it but spreading my legs or putting them at any distance apart is painful so I think the moves I would be able to do would be limited. I tried it during my first pregnancy but couldn't do it for very long.

I got a prenatal video with modifications for different trimesters. I always did the 3rd trimester modifications (got the DVD at the end of my 2nd trimester and was inexperienced with yoga to begin with) and found it to be pretty successful. Did the yoga you did before have modifications?

I feel your pain! I had a rough pregnancy too -- threw up every day from weeks 6-19, tailbone pain so bad I could barely sit in my third trimester, insane Braxton hicks contractions that would go on for minutes with no break, and awful round ligament pains throughout. Luckily everything was healthy for the baby, just extremely uncomfortable for me. I had been exercising regularly and basically had to stop as soon as I got pregnant because it was so uncomfortable.

Try gentle walking as much as possible and give the yoga another shot with some modifications. I also just focused a lot on diet, since that felt more within my control.

Best of luck. Remember it won't last forever!
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy is about survival. Not all of them are so comfortable that you can work out and eat right. You simply have to focus getting through it, and just get back at it when it's all done. My 2nd pregnancy was inactive and I ate like crap. I was able to get back quickly afterwards with goals set up and just feeling so dang good for once! Hang in there. The time is a drop in the bucket if you really think about it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling pain after moving around. What worries me a bit is how affected you seem to be of your current state. Do you meditate? Or do something that keeps your mind off of other stuff, some form of crafting maybe or playing an instrument or such? It can be hard to come to terms with limitations of different sorts, but a downward spiral begins when we don't focus on what we are still capable of doing. I know this might not be what you had in mind when posting, but it really isn't a thing anyone else can figure out for you unfortunately, so that's why I'm pointing it out now. I think everyone has something they do to stay grounded without going into full panic mode and that to me seems what you might benefit from focussing on right now. The bright side from my point of view is that you do have a clear deadline for your discomfort, whereas many others need to live with something for life.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I had that in my 2nd pregnancy and could barely walk....

exercise does help but it obviously has to be the right kind... ask to see a physio and find out what exercises you can do that will help. Also there may be other things that can help. You don't have to just suffer and suffer with this with no help. If your doctor's not helping then get a 2nd opinion.

This is really great advice.

I totally understand where you are coming from OP. I had planned to stay very active during my pregnancy and placed some unrealistic expectations on myself. While I am not dealing with the same thing you are, I have dealt with some stuff that has really limited what I am able to do. I struggled with it for a little while in much the same way you are. I get lost without goals. At one point I was told I couldn't run, I cried (I am allowed to now, but it isn't really physically possible for me, even walking is hard). I even gave up a 2 year plus logging streak because I found it difficult to be on here. I still get really angry when someone mentions "oh so and so, ran/crossfitted/whatever right up until birth" when I explain I am not. Yeah, that's fantastic and I am happy for them, but it is not possible for me.

Do what you can comfortably. Like the above poster mentioned, find out what you can do. I'm back to swimming now, I met a friend who helps me plan workouts that can actually challenge me a bit. I still miss lifting and running. I'm dreaming of my post-partum training but it has made me feel a lot better.

We have our whole life to be fit, we will get back to it, this is just temporary. Take care. :flowerforyou:
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer some tested and helpful advice, but unfortunately I don't have the experience or insight.

I do want to offer you some encouragement and to remind you that you are doing something so vitally important and very hard on your body. I can't imagine how bad you feel, and I hope that you can find the strength to focus on what is good and positive through this pregnancy. Don't beat yourself up over things which you cannot control. Your illness is temporary, but your family and child are forever.

I hope your symptoms ease. I hope that you start feeling better about yourself.

Maybe you can swim, that sounds like something which could be low impact and strengthening at the same time. Maybe you can focus on eating a super healthy pregnancy diet? Whatever you can do to feel more positive and like you are not losing ground.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, BTW!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did not have the same condition as the op. But, I fully believed we were supposed to live life as we would pregnant or not. Until I was in excruciating pain, weak, and pale. I had struggled with vomiting for both entire pregnancies. But, what was happening was that I had been injured internally and was bleeding internally. It ended up with a very traumatic incident and being ambulanced to the hospital for four days. I spent the reat of the third trimester on bed rest to prevent preterm labor. And I was able to prevent it, heal, and had an uneventful labor at home. But bleeding was a serious issue for me and the resulting anemia. It is so important to take care of what your pregnant body needs. I was fit 7 months postpartum. I am so thankful my baby was ok because it was truly terrifying for all of us and for my 2 year old (at the time). ♥
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I would second seeing a professional about what you can/cannot do...and also second the suggestion of swimming.

My first pregnancy I ran until the dr told me to stop. Then I walked and did weight stuff with dbs.

Second pregnancy, didn't sleep...at all...when I was about 10 weeks until I had the baby. I was working so I couldn't nap during the day. And by the time I was about 5 months, I could barely walk. Self-diagnosed SPD. I ended up having a 9 lb baby so by the end I was hurting! Plus I had to keep the 3 year old alive.

I agree with the other poster. Sometimes pregnancy is just surviving. :)

With my first I did swim and it was amazing. With my second, the other time I felt relief was in my big whirlpool bathtub.

Good luck and I feel ya sister.
  • dalekhunter
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and commiseration everyone. I was just so upset that I couldn't even walk to the park last night without paying for it later on. I had purchased a pregnancy workout online with modifications for each trimester and now I just walk by all my equipment without being able to use it. I think I'm gonna go put it somewhere out of sight. I do have a lot of hobbies; piano, face painting, gardening, etc. I am also starting my last few psychology classes next week. I think part of it also is that I just moved from a place where it was rainy and cold all the time and so I was really excited for swimsuit weather down here where it's hot and where I could show off my hard work which, is now all rounded out and flabby. Not to mention the high school reunion that is the 2 months before I am due! Haha. As for swimming, I would love to try that but we are in a stage 5 drought and I am not sure if they will be opening the pools this year or not. I talked to my OB yesterday who just shrugged it off. I need to remember that I'm not being lazy I am just physically incapable at this time. Only 24 more weeks though. Plus recovery. I also understand the previous poster about lack of sleep. My four year has never slept through the night, last night she woke me up 3 times. I think I've been counting on exercise to give me that extra boost of energy that I'm not getting now. But this is for sure the last kid! I am not a woman who enjoys being pregnant.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kick boxing. Seriously, I love it. Yet, when I was pregnant I stopped for a year with both pregnancies. I also gave up any kind of work with weights but that wasn't as hard. I only went walking (no complications).It was so BORING and I WAS falling out of fighting shape. It would take the 3 months after the baby was born just to get back in shape enough for easy point sparing! You have to do what you have to do to protect the baby and yourself. I'm so sorry you're going through this! I hope for a smooth delivery and postpartum!

BTW,To anyone who continues to work out hard while preggers... I chose to stop doing a contact sport/working out while pregnant. If you have the go-ahead from your OB to continue doing what you are doing, go for it! It's a personal choice.