Shove it to the side!

Options
What exercise can you just not stand, be that it is to difficult for you to do, to tiering, to painful, or you just don't like it? Mine is push up's. I can't even seem to do just one. I can't hold my weight up is what I am thinking. Also I cant seem to keep my body straight like your supposed to. I would love to be able to do them though.

Replies

• troyindallas
    troyindallas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Check into the 100 Pushup Challenge. It will start where you are at and get you going. It is really helping me.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Ugh...I won't do those aweful things they used to make us do in soccer, track, etc. where you lay on your back and lift your legs a foot or so off the ground and then open them. I hurt my back as a kid doing those and I refused to do them after that. I hope they don't make anyone do those anymore since they do more harm than good.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Any old football playes might remember up-downs. Where you run in place and when the coach blows the whistle you hit the deck on your stomach. Than back up, rinse, and repeat. Depending on how pissed coach was that day determined how long we did those for. BRUTAL!!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Burpees, mountain climbers! Ouch! :grumble:
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    Mountain climbers. You have your hands and feet on the ground like you are going to do a push up but instead you raise your knees to your chest in a running motion. It's like telling your body "I've never loved you!"
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    Thank you. I will have to check into that.
    Check into the 100 Pushup Challenge. It will start where you are at and get you going. It is really helping me.
  • biggphatdaddy
    Options
    push ups have always been really hard for me....i dont know why, even when i was in high school and weighed a hundred and nothing, i dont if its the development of my chest muscles or what....
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    I remember doing those too. I can not remember though if they were that bad or not. I will have to try them again and see.
    Ugh...I won't do those aweful things they used to make us do in soccer, track, etc. where you lay on your back and lift your legs a foot or so off the ground and then open them. I hurt my back as a kid doing those and I refused to do them after that. I hope they don't make anyone do those anymore since they do more harm than good.
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    That sounds painful... ouch!
    Any old football playes might remember up-downs. Where you run in place and when the coach blows the whistle you hit the deck on your stomach. Than back up, rinse, and repeat. Depending on how pissed coach was that day determined how long we did those for. BRUTAL!!
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    Are the two the same? I have not heard of burpees.
    Burpees, mountain climbers! Ouch! :grumble:
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    Sqats... hate em !!!
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    They dont sound fun but then again I guess if your into something like that they would be. I think I know what your talking about though. Are those where you alternate legs each time?
    Mountain climbers. You have your hands and feet on the ground like you are going to do a push up but instead you raise your knees to your chest in a running motion. It's like telling your body "I've never loved you!"
  • moonbeam74
    Options
    Push ups are hard for me...but the hardest is sit ups. I can't even do them unless I'm laying on my exer-ball. And after a few, I will get cramps in my stomach!
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    Well I am glad I am not the only one.
    push ups have always been really hard for me....i dont know why, even when i was in high school and weighed a hundred and nothing, i dont if its the development of my chest muscles or what....
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    I am right there with you on this too. I did some yesterday and my quads are killing me today. What do you think I did about that?? I did MORE squats today. I swear I have punished myself for tomorrow. lol
    Sqats... hate em !!!
  • Tonya1979
    Options
    Have you tried just doing crunches instead of sit ups? I heard that crunches are better to do anyway. Not sure though how true that is but crunches work good for me.
    Push ups are hard for me...but the hardest is sit ups. I can't even do them unless I'm laying on my exer-ball. And after a few, I will get cramps in my stomach!
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Jumping jacks or any sort of jumping. I can only make it through one session and the next day I've got killer shin splints that take a week or so to calm down.

Other than that, I've found that exercises I couldn't do previously or could barely do have gotten easier as I do them more frequently. When I first started (about 2.5 months ago) I couldn't do the standing quad stretches because I couldn't reach my foot behind me for the size of my butt/thighs. I couldn't do crunches, reverse crunches, or other exercises where my stomach was in the way. Now I can do them pretty well. It gives me more motivation to see the progress I've made. =)
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    They dont sound fun but then again I guess if your into something like that they would be. I think I know what your talking about though. Are those where you alternate legs each time?

Yep. It torches calories faster than running or jumping rope. Still not worth it.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Burpees - Start standing upright with your hands at your sides. Squat down in a crouch with your palms flat on the ground beside your feet. Jump both feet backwards together and land on the balls of your feet - now you're in a push-up position. Jump both feet back together to the starting crouch, keeping your hands on the ground the whole time. Now stand straight up to the starting position.

You're supposed to do them pretty fast. They are great for building your chest muscles and legs, but they can be brutal! If you're really a glutton for punishment, and the end of the burpee when you stand straight up again, add a jump straight up in the air and throw your hands over your head, then land on your feet and lower your arms and do the next burpee. I guarantee your heart rate will get going with that one.

Have fun!