Vegetarian/Vegan Diet for months and NO weight loss?

Options
Okay, so I've been a veggie for months, not to lose weight but for ethical reasons. Then, several weeks ago I decided to become a vegan for the same reasons. But in 6 months time I'm finding it hard to believe that I haven't lost ANY inches since my post Christmas measurements. And let me not kid you, I went through heaps of cookies at Christmas so it's a little discouraging.

I know I don't have any food recorded but I can honestly say I eat very clean. Lots of fruit and whole grains, probably could do with more veg but I definitely eat more than you average person. Lots of beans, some tofu. I've tried limiting my fat/oil intake. I never eat refined flours. And since being vegan I've also hugely regulated my sugar intake (thats excluding fruits).

I havent counted calories for a while but if I'm maintaining I'm eating close to 1850. I just don't get how some people can eat 1850 and be 20lbs lighter and then theres me who eats a majority whole foods diet and I still blubbery.

Mind you, I don't exercise a whole lot but I usually cycle to and from university and I was doing a bit of insanity/T25 for a while. But the point is, I do more exercise now and for the past few months than over winter.

This is extremely frustrating!

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

I havent counted calories for a while but if I'm maintaining I'm eating close to 1850.
    That's your problem. It doesn't matter what you eat but the calories. I got fat being a Vegan. Count your calories weigh and measure your food accurately and then you'll find out how much you are really eating. Once you know that you can then find out how much you need to eat to lose weight.

Good luck
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    if you eat more than your maintenance level then you will gain, no matter the quality of food you eat. start counting and keep below maintenance and you will lose

eating "clean" or "healthy" foods doesn't make you weigh less, eating less of them does
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Being vegan and "eating clean" isn't going to magically make you lose weight. I suggest you start counting calories to see where you're coming out.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I was a 15 stone vegetarian. Just because you are vegetarian/vegan doesn't mean you will loose weight. It depends what you are eating and how much you are eating.
    I suggest you start logging and weighing all your foods and start being accountable to what you eat and drink. Set yourself calorie targets and stick to them.
    Exercise will help with calorie loss and toning the body, even walking will help.
  • PeacePlantsPilates
    PeacePlantsPilates Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It would probably be beneficial to you to record your calories again - perhaps you're eating more than you think? The fact of the matter is that even with 'clean eating', if your calories are too high you're not going to lose fat - excess carbs and protein are still stored as fat.

Also perhaps considering weight training would be a good idea - that way you would burn fat, build muscles, and have overall increased metabolism due to the muscle gain.

But don't get too frustrated - even if it's not showing with inches lost, your body will be benefitting from the extra vitamins and minerals of eating clean over the past 6 months :)
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    In for the morning drama
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    So you went vegetarian and then vegan for ethical reasons and not to lose weight but are concerned you are not losing weight?

Being a vegetarian or vegan isn't a magical weight loss pill, there are many over weight vegetarians and vegans. If you want to lose weight you'll need to put in the effort that means counting calories (or whatever your preferred program is) and exercise.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been veggie (with occasional bouts of veganism) for 13 years and have been overweight/obese the whole time.

It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat!
    As others have said, start adding the calories up (use a weighing scale - and be honest to the point of scientific) and you may surprise yourself.
    Oil is often used in vegan cooking to replace dairy ingredients (and in vegan staples like peanut butter, hummus, salad dressings) so that may be something to watch out for calorie-wise.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Vegans tend to eat more carbs than a person who eats a omnivore diet, because its a diet based on pulses like beans and lentils, grains, veggies, fruits which are wholly made up of the macronutrient carbohydrate, thus you are probably consuming a low protein, high carb diet. I am not saying this is a bad thing at all, but even if you eat protein rich foods like beans and broccoli - you have to consume A LOT before you get adequate protein levels. Have you ever looked at a macronutrient breakdown of your calorie intake?
    I tried veganism and found it hard because not he days my body wasn't burning all those stored carbs, I felt like I had to eat less to compensate. Hence I went back to dairy but no meat just fish.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Vegans tend to eat more carbs than a person who eats a omnivore diet, because its a diet based on pulses like beans and lentils, grains, veggies, fruits which are wholly made up of the macronutrient carbohydrate, thus you are probably consuming a low protein, high carb diet. I am not saying this is a bad thing at all, but even if you eat protein rich foods like beans and broccoli - you have to consume A LOT before you get adequate protein levels. Have you ever looked at a macronutrient breakdown of your calorie intake?
    I tried veganism and found it hard because not he days my body wasn't burning all those stored carbs, I felt like I had to eat less to compensate. Hence I went back to dairy but no meat just fish.

^ And what do you think are adequate protein levels. Quite frankly, you don't have to consume a lot to get "adequate" levels.

OP, as most have said, just track your calories. You might be eating more than you think. There are so many myths out there about a plant based diet but really at the end of the day what matters is calories in / calories out.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    fat vegan over here!!!! well, not so much anymore....

count your calories and weigh your food, if you're vegan for ethical reasons then weight loss shouldn't even be on your mind in regards to veganism.

any food can make you fat.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options

^ And what do you think are adequate protein levels. Quite frankly, you don't have to consume a lot to get "adequate" levels.

OP, as most have said, just track your calories. You might be eating more than you think. There are so many myths out there about a plant based diet but really at the end of the day what matters is calories in / calories out.

I'm not saying there's a secret 'amount' of protein one must consume, all I was saying was that vegans TEND to not eat enough.

And without going too much into the science, protein is the single most important macronutrient that influences your metabolic rate. Your body NEEDs protein in order to survive - it also NEEDS fat. It can survive a lot longer without carbohydrate.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at a calorie deficit regardless of what foods you chose to eat or not eat. Good luck.
  • rebalee8
    rebalee8 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

What does this have to do with lack of weight weight loss?

The reason the OP isn't losing weight has nothing to do with "macronutrient breakdown", but rather the fact they are not consuming less calories than they are burning.

To counteract your little piece of "anectdata"... I have what most people consider a very high carb to protein ratio (55/15) and yet, I'm consistently losing weight, not finding it hard, and not feeling hungry.

P.S. Your body doesn't have any stored carbs, only stored fat. Unused carbs are turned into fat, however, if you're eating at a deficit, you don't have any unused carbs, so problem solved.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different macro balance that suits their body best, so yes, some people would be healthier eating a higher carb/lower protein diet than others. However, it's more difficult for vegetarians/vegans to consume an adequate amount of protein, whatever that amount may be for their own body. More difficult, not impossible. The commonly cited "good" sources of vegan protein -- beans and nuts -- aren't actually high in protein. Soy can be, depending on the individual product, but processed soy products tend to be high in sodium, so if you're consuming a lot of processed soy you can have issues with water retention masking your weight loss. Asking her about her protein intake is a fair question.

OP, it doesn't matter how "clean" you eat, if you're not at a deficit, you won't lose weight. If you ARE at a deficit and still not losing weight, it would be time to look at your macro breakdown to see if you need to adjust your macro distribution. Either way, if you're not logging, nobody can give you concrete advice.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Being vegan and "eating clean" isn't going to magically make you lose weight. I suggest you start counting calories to see where you're coming out.

This.gif
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Vegan or not if you are not eating a defiicit you will NOT lose weight.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

This.gif

QFT.

I've been a vegetarian for 24 years. I've become a fat vegetarian not just once, but twice. (Never again once this weight is off!)

As others have said, it doesn't matter what the diet is, if you are going over you're going over. Or if you haven't gained then you're at maintenance.