Disappointed by gym :'(

Options
13»

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    So you go from saying this:
    .I exercise intensely at home but somehow exercising in the gym makes me feel accomplished and I haven't had that experience since April!

To saying this:
    Oh there is another gym near me, that I might check out, but I'm not sure I'm going to be joining a gym at all, I may end up exercising at home instead

No one says that by checking out the second gym you are obligated to join and if they do month-to-month and you can cancel any time there's really nothing lost if you don't like it
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I would worry that this is a scam. There's nothing to say that this gym will ever actually open (or that it will be a legit gym--it could be a few crappy machines just so they can't get sued). Never sign up for anything or give them your money before you're certain of the product.

My thoughts as well. In fact, I'd find out if they have a head office to contact. If not...I'd report it. That's a 4 month delay in the lie they told you about opening.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would even go back, but that's just me being suspicious. :laugh:

If it was advertised that it opened in April but when you went you were treated to a sales pitch and they said they won't open until August...eh...possibly a misprint error but it also sounds like a cheap way to solicit sales to a captive audience who shows up ready to work out.

I'd have my doubts, personally.

ETA: if they were that pushy to get you to sign something when they hadn't even opened yet, I'd DEFINITELY run the other way. Something doesn't sound right about that at all.

^^ THIS! This actually happened where I live. There was a big hype about the gym opening up in a space previously occupied by a fitness store. Flyers were sent out offering discounted memberships to those who live nearby if they signed up before a certain date. For some reason the deal fell through and the gym never opened. I'm not sure what happened to the 'members'. I assume they got refunded.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    You're right, Saschka. They told me on the phone that it the facilities were open and had opened in April.

NDJ - what I meant is that it's embarrassing to go in August since I said I'll be back with my credit card tomorrow - but I won't be. With that said I do exercise a lot at home every day.
    Don't worry Crystal ndj and others just come on these forums to try to make people feel dumb or bad. It makes them feel tough. like a bully or something.
    It IS a poor advertising plan/gimmick. It is untruthful. If you had joined, imagine how they would be with your credit card number if you for some reason had to stop your membership! Is it a big name gym?
    I work for a gym and I get irritated when I talk my friends into joining, they talk to a rep, sign up, and 2 days later they gym announces a big big sale/waives sign up fees/etc. They could have been considerate and mentioned the sale (I never know beforehand, I'm an instructor) New members see those signs and feel bad the reps didn't even mention the sale. People always appreciate when a business goes the extra mile for them, not when a business tries to mislead them.

ahhh yess the bully train that one is never late ...

I was simply pointing out that if you want to join a gym, and that is the only one, then why not join when they open? I don't understand the disappointment factor for a business doing what they are supposed to do, which is sell memberships.

I mean how are they going to get members if they do not do sales..
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Wait... this is the catlady AGAIN??? :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:

It sure is. Maybe this new gym will allow dogs and give members six hours to finish 20-30 minute workout classes. :devil:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

^^ THIS! This actually happened where I live. There was a big hype about the gym opening up in a space previously occupied by a fitness store. Flyers were sent out offering discounted memberships to those who live nearby if they signed up before a certain date. For some reason the deal fell through and the gym never opened. I'm not sure what happened to the 'members'. I assume they got refunded.

Fairly common business model for franchise operations. There's a need to demonstrate demand and sustainable revenue, and early commitment is one way to do. Insufficient demand means no setup funding as opening then closing is expensive and bad for the brand.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Wait... this is the catlady AGAIN??? :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:

It sure is. Maybe this new gym will allow dogs and give members six hours to finish 20-30 minute workout classes. :devil:

And maybe we can finally solve the darn laundry room thief mystery.... I WANNA KNOW!!! :laugh: