When to buy new clothes?

Options
What are other's experience with this. I certainly need to buy new clothes. What concerns me is I have been consistently losing weight and do not want to buy clothes I might only wear a month or two and have to turn around and buy more. Any thoughts?

Replies

• naturesfempower
    naturesfempower Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Goodwill clothes until you get where you want to be. Then spend real money!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Goodwill clothes until you get where you want to be. Then spend real money!

That crossed my mind, but there are no stores like that around where I live.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Haha, I have been pondering this one for a while now. I just this past weekend filled up two large trash bags with clothes that are just too big for me. I wore them either until the inside of the jeans wore out, until the clothes just generally had holes, or that a lot of them were still good, but I finally decided to toss them instead of using them as 'sleep clothes'. I mean, a huge t-shirt is comfortable to sleep in and lounge around the house in, but if I'm always wearing such unflattering clothes, mentally, I'm staying in frumpy, overweight mode, and it isn't really quite registering just how far I've come. I'm not really allowing myself to 'feel' how good it feels to have new, SMALLER clothes that fit.

I don't know about your situation, but I still have much smaller clothes that still don't fit me, but right now I am in an in between stage. My smaller clothes are still a little too small. What I've decided to do is to squeeze into my smaller jeans, but open the button when I'm home. (Don't laugh) I've also been losing pretty consistently and it does seem like they will be more comfortable in a week or two.

BUT, there are certain things I just need to buy. Like a bra. I finally bought a new bra today. It's like my first new bra is years. It feels great. It feels good. It helped me realize that I actually NEED to get out there and buy a few more articles of clothing. I don't want to be frump girl anymore.

So what I would say is, buy some new clothes. It doesn't have to be a lot, but maybe for starters, buy one new outfit that totally fits you, and that makes you feel good. After you've alternated that outfit with your bigger clothes you might realize that maybe buying a few more smaller ones might be worth it even if they might only fit you for a month or two. Can you imagine how big your already big clothes will be on you by then?

So happy we are having this conversation!! :bigsmile:
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You know, one thing that I was thinking would be cool was if MFP had a clothing exchange option. Like you post, Ok, I need some size 14's. Who just went down to a 12 that wants to donate? Then the person who just went down to a 10 would post something like, OK, I need some 8's...who's got 8's for me? I know it isn't realistic, but I'm sure someone a lot smarter than me could actually make it a reality. Then we'd at least have a good use for all of our outgrown clothes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Buy the strict minimum in cheap stores (walmart, target, kohls with sales etc). Replace pants when they fall off, don't even bother replacing tops unless you find $5 shirts or something. And when you replace them, buy them tight. I didn't buy any jeans last Summer, for example, and went from a size 18 to a size 8 pretty much (and they still fit, they're just loose). I only bought 3 bottoms for the Summer too, which are now too big, but at least I'm only out $60 or so. I'm still wearing the clothes I had to buy last September, even if some of them are loose. I figure I'll replace them eventually as they get torn anyway.