Calorie Deficit

Options
MyFitnessPal calculated my calorie intact of being only 1200 so i have a hard time eating that amount and not eating to much. When i do eat i sometimes eat under the 1200 because i don't want to go over my limit. But, is it safe to eat less than 1200 (it usually within 100 calories or closer)? Can someone please give me advice on what i should do because i want to loss weight but, safely and maintain it with normal and safe habits, By the way i'm 5'4" and female and i weight about 195lbs with a sedentary lifestyle. And no i do not find myself hunger when i eat under the calories.

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    1200 is too aggressive. I bet you have MFP set to 2 lbs to lose per week
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1200 is your deficit already without any exercise...it is roughly 800 - 1000 calories deficit from your theoretical non-exercise maintenance calories. You shouldn't be eating under that...there is no reason to....it is already a 2 Lb per week rate of loss and a very aggressive approach.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This.

You probably selected a weight loss goal that was to high. 2lbs a week is too much for what you have to lose. I'd switch to 1lb a week. Also MFP expects you to log exercise and eat those calories back.
  • ChrissyM93
    ChrissyM93 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do but from your comment i'm assuming that is a lot to expect? The predictor thinks i will only use 1.7lbs a week but by definition I am obese so i thought if i was in the obese category then I should expect to loss more than 1lbs because i am almost 200lbs
  • ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I started at 204 lbs and my intake was set at 1470 calories (sedentary) for 1 lb per week loss. You could always try setting your goal to losing 1 lb per week, and see if that helps with your calorie intake and weight loss. Try it for a couple of weeks, and good luck on your journey :-)

Oh and I also log my exercise calories and eat about 50%+ back.

Oh and I am also 5'4" (gooooo shorties!!!!) :-)
  • michaeljosephmoreau
    michaeljosephmoreau Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    almost 200lbs is NOT that big really. Just eat right around 1300 calories a day but also burn a couple of hundred calories doing some exercise. You'll lose fast but won't force your body into starvation mode.

Likewise if you're wanting to drop it fast but not make your body go into starvation mode look into ultra-low carb diets like Atkins or Ketogenic Diet.
  • Holly_belle
    Holly_belle Posts: 4,042 Member
    Options
    Anything more then a pound a week lose is aggressive. My starting weight was 199 and I set my goal at 1lb a week and haven't been disappointed yet. I'd rather lose at a moderate pace and be able to create an entire lifestyle change along the way so I can maintain my lose once I hit my goal weight
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do but from your comment i'm assuming that is a lot to expect? The predictor thinks i will only use 1.7lbs a week but by definition I am obese so i thought if i was in the obese category then I should expect to loss more than 1lbs because i am almost 200lbs

I use TDEE method. I calculated yours at sedentary & you can consume 1997 cal/day with exercise to maintain your current weight. So I would just subtract 500 (deficit) from that (1497). That's 1lb/week.
    I hope this helps.
  • xmusicloverr
    xmusicloverr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Is having MFP set to losing 2 lbs a week bad? I'd set it to 5lbs a week if I could. Who has time to be on a weight loss journey for 5 years? -_-
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Is having MFP set to losing 2 lbs a week bad? I'd set it to 5lbs a week if I could. Who has time to be on a weight loss journey for 5 years? -_-

The time is going to pass regardless so it's better to be sustainable about it than reckless. Those who lose weight very fast almost always gain it back fast with lasting consequences (less lean body mass from drastic weight loss means an even slower metabolism rate).