Curious about Intermittent fasting?

Options
2»

Replies

• frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I like doing a 24 hours water only fast once a month around the time I start my cycle. It helps me not feel totally bloated and terrible. If you go dinner to dinner it is not too bad really.
  • Insomniac8
    Insomniac8 Posts: 182
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting. 18 hours of fasting and 6 hours for consuming my needed calories. It feels great and I'm losing weight easier. Even when I feel hungry, I'm in a good mood knowing my body's burning fat.
    I might be able to answer your questions as I've studied a lot about it.
    You can start with this informative article:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/08/06/a-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting/
  • Insomniac8
    Insomniac8 Posts: 182
    Options
    The thing is that you need to try it yourself and see if it works for you. By trying I mean at least for 10 days not 2!
    For me, it was so easy as I hate breakfasts and have never made it a routine in my life. So all I needed to do was eating dinner a little earlier than usual. (7 pm)
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    But women should consider the info at this link before deciding whether it's for them or not...

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

This is very interesting, thank you. I do intermittent fasting, with 18-19 hours fasts and 5-6 of eating. I feel very, very good following this pattern, have lots of energy, increased mental capacity and I'm never "hangry" at all. HOWEVER, I don't get my period anymore. My gynecologist had no idea why, because at a 1500 kcal diet, it's not very common to stop menstruating. This could be the reason then.
    So I experience basically all the things mentioned in this article, except that I sleep very well.

I don't know what to do now ...I enjoy having no cycle, to be honest, but at this point I should really question if I should maintain IF if I know that it is very likely the reason for my hormonal problems.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    But women should consider the info at this link before deciding whether it's for them or not...

http://www.paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/

This is very interesting, thank you. I do intermittent fasting, with 18-19 hours fasts and 5-6 of eating. I feel very, very good following this pattern, have lots of energy, increased mental capacity and I'm never "hangry" at all. HOWEVER, I don't get my period anymore. My gynecologist had no idea why, because at a 1500 kcal diet, it's not very common to stop menstruating. This could be the reason then.
    So I experience basically all the things mentioned in this article, except that I sleep very well.

I don't know what to do now ...I enjoy having no cycle, to be honest, but at this point I should really question if I should maintain IF if I know that it is very likely the reason for my hormonal problems.

No period?? Ever?? :noway: :noway: :noway:

So weird how the body responds to certain things...
    And you are eating your needed calories daily I assume??
    Fats are on target??
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options

You are only 19 hun.

Please don't hurt or damage your body.

I do IF and 5:2 (female) and my cycle has never stopped. That is something I personally wouldn't want to mess with.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    OP, I do IF and am currently doing 5:2 and I love it.

It's all personal preference. You may try it and hate it...but then again it may just be a perfect fit.

I don't like to meal plan and prepare and all that.

And I like to eat a good hearty dinner with my family that I cook so that is part of the reason it works for me.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had my last "real" period in January I guess, some spotting afterwards, and now for 2 months nothing.
    I know this is not good at all and I have seen 2 doctors about it, nobody could truly explain it. They thought I had PCOS but my hormones proved normal, although male hormones were a bit high, but still in the normal range.
    They also said it could be linked to eating too little, but they didn't think that 1500 kcal net would cause that. I didn't tell them that I do intermittent fasting though so maybe that would have been the "key". I didn't withhold the information on purpose but IF is somehow natural to me and I always tended to skip breakfast, so I didn't even think it could be a factor.

and @MityMax: Fat could also be a problem because that's a macro I have paid too little attention to. But I have fixed that and now I am on my daily target.

It's hard to tell what really is the problem, I don't want to scare people away from IF, but when I read the article I really thought "this is you!" that's why I responded.
    And I know I should really try to solve that problem. I will come into maintenance soon and maybe my body will adjust if it gets more calories.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Please inform your doctor of everything....
    I would be concerned with a normal body function, not working normally....
    Could be other things going on, that you are not aware of that can be harmful.

But make sure your Fats are on point.....too little fat will wreak havoc on your system....