Treadmill vs My Fitnesspal

Options
2»

Replies

• Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I walked on my Treadmill for 30 mins and I put in 30 mins in the cardo section on myfitness pal it says I burnt 515 calories and my treadmill says 204 calories I don't know how to lower the number unless Iower the minutes walked

515 calories in 30 minutes? LMAO. 204 calories is probably more accurate if you did a moderate effort.

Like all the others said, use the lower number, just to prevent over eating.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The lower one, then cut it in half.
  • leahmc67
    leahmc67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Never, ever believe you can burn 515 calories in 30 minutes on the treadmill. The 204 seems more accurate.

I use a heart rate monitor and had it set up with my min/max HR and other factors so I can assume it is pretty accurate.
    For an example - I walked three miles and ran one mile and it registered 373 calories burned. This was after an hour long HiiT class where it totally kicked my butt and I only burned 433 for the hour.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I walked on my Treadmill for 30 mins and I put in 30 mins in the cardo section on myfitness pal it says I burnt 515 calories and my treadmill says 204 calories I don't know how to lower the number unless Iower the minutes walked

Which entry did you use?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I weigh 251lbs and there is no place to inter my weight in my treadmill but myfitness pal has my weight in it would that make the difference?

Height, weight, age, gender, exertion level and more.......

500+ sounds crazy high.

Here's a chart from About.com: http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

Calories burned per MILE for walking are 142-182 for someone that weights 250 pounds
    182 is for 5 MPH, unless you are very tall..... 5 MPH = running
  • wendydelong
    wendydelong Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I put 30 mins then manually put in 205 calories burnt ..I DID NOT BELIEVE burnt 515 calories that's why I was asking how to fix it so its right :) Thanks everyone
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I put 30 mins then manually put in 205 calories burnt ..I DID NOT BELIEVE burnt 515 calories that's why I was asking how to fix it so its right :) Thanks everyone

Yes, but what entry are you using on MFP to get that number? That may be the issue as well.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I can get a 14-15 calorie per minute burn running at a fast pace (HRM verified), so 505 isn't insanely high, if you are flat out running your a** off .
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ely82010 I figured it out thanks I didn't realize I could keep my mins but adjust my calories :) I knew I didn't burn 515 calories haha.... Thanks :) again

:flowerforyou:
  • mymonty
    mymonty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    that's what I was thinking too, but the flip side is that there's no allowance for incline, so both could be right and wrong.
  • Gholmar
    Gholmar Posts: 37
    Options
    If you don't have an HRM, use this formula:

Running: [your weight] x 0.63 x [miles run]
    Walking: [your weight] x 0.30 x [miles run]

source: http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning?page=single
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I see you've already gotten a great answer but I just wanted to add that my treadmill is a filthy liar or it thinks I am the least fit person EVER. It would have given me about 200% of my actual burn per my HRM. *rolls eyes* It's impossible to know 100% for sure but do the best you can. You're obviously a logical person ????
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor for a more accurate number. Otherwise, use the lower number. That's what I would do.

^This^

~200 for a half hour of walking sounds about right