Sprouts Sprouts Sprouts!

Options
SkinnyRuthy
SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
Hello, everyone! Whenever I've gone to Jimmy John's, I've always loved the huge handful of sprouts they generally put on my sub. Last evening when grocery shopping, I stumbled upon Broccoli Sprouts as well as Bean Sprouts and on a whim, I bought them!!! (I was really craving Jimmy Johns!)

Trouble is...now, that I have them home, I have no idea how to actually incorporate them in to my meals, considering that I am not actually a Jimmy John's shop and have never purchased these items in my life!

It appears that Bean Sprouts can be used in Asian dishes?? So, would they be good to add to stir fry veggies, then?

Basically, I'm in a fix, but I am desperately trying to eat healthy, so please, any and all suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you!!! :)

Replies

• sunybuny420
    sunybuny420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE JIMMY JOHNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I put sprouts in my salads and on sandwiches. (I try to mimic the #6 veggie sub at JJ's sometimes, w/the avocado between the cheese, yummmmm). I haven't put them in a stir fry yet but i would, and I'm sure they'd be awesome. Maybe they'd be good in a hot and sour japanese soup? Hot and sour soups boost metabolism big time. You could also put them in wraps. I prefer spinach and sprouts in my wraps over lettuce. I work in a health food store (grocery style with cafe and salad bar, connected room for crystals and oils tie dyes and hippy stuff) and we put sunflower sprouts out at the salad bar sometimes they're always a big hit although they have a weird taste. I eat them anyways.
    yeah so SOUP-SALAD-WRAPS-STIRFRY-SAMMYS
  • 1013carl
    1013carl Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My Dad always loved to cook, and at times, as a side dish he'd cook noodles… but he’d make them spicy with an Asian hot oil… or even red pepper… both added to taste! He’d boil them, use what he needed, and used the leftovers the next day or two. After they were boiled he took a few serving worth and dropped them into a frying pan. Quick searing or stir frying them with the flavoring… (besides hot spicy, try Teriyaki, or Lemon & Lime)

Spicy noodles are a great side dish to fish, steak, pork, etc…

I’ve put my spin on this by doing 2 things… use Rice noodles (fine like angel hair) …and IF you stir fry in your favorite sprouts, It’s lighter and awesome when kicked up a notch … very close to being like lo mein!

Give it a try and make something good by adding what you like!

Enjoy,
    Carl -
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Oh Ruthy I totally got the wrong end of the stick, I thought you meant Brussells sprouts, was going to suggest cooking them with bacon and chestnuts. That may not work so well for bean sprouts... :embarassed:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Bean sprouts are thicker and can definitely be stir fried into Asian foods. Broccoli sprouts or alfalfa sprouts (the kind they use in Jimmy John's) can be used in sandwiches and salads. I throw them in my salads, they are nice and crisp!
  • SkinnyRuthy
    SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    No problem Mrs! Those are actually good ideas for the brussel sprouts too....my daughter isn't a fan, but boy does she love her bacon! :)

The bean sprouts look like they really would be great for a stir fry. Thank you for the suggestions, everyone!

Last night, I made a veggie burger and topped it with tomatoes and brocco sprouts. It was very fresh tasting and delish! For now, it seems I'll like them the best on sandwiches, but will scour the internet for more ideas as well.

Truly appreciate the advice!
  • sunybuny420
    sunybuny420 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yum, veggie burger!! How could all of us forget that tasty suggestion.I want a veggie burger with extra sprouts right now!!! I think I'm going to go wild and put some jalapeno cream cheese on it.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    my mother cuts them in half and then mixes them with a touch of sugar and olive oil. roast in the oven... so goooooood.