I Need the BEST Guac Recipe, Ever!!

Options
SkinnyRuthy
SkinnyRuthy Posts: 154 Member
Seriously! I've fallen in love with Avocado's...truly! And it's not because of the quirky Subway commercials, either!

I'd love to get my hands on your favorite Guac recipe, and while you're at it, what do you like to pair your Guac with? Tacos? Chips? I am trying to stay away from chips since they are so naughty!

How about just Avocado alone...how do you like to do up this lovely green veg? It's disappointing that it pretty much has to be eaten with a short time after cutting it open, so I'm trying to find ways of not wasting this delightful green fat burning machine!

HELP! :)

Replies

• willywonka_71
    willywonka_71 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My fave guacamole recipe is mixing avocado, greek yogurt, salsa, lime/lemon juice, onions and sriracha sauce (you could use any hot sauce in place of sriracha- but I love sriracha).

How much of each ingredient depends on your taste/texture preferences.

If your avocadoes are getting close to being over-ripe and you won’t be using them in time, mash up the avocado, put a tablespoon of lime/lemon juice and place in a freezer bag (get out as much air as possible) and freeze until you need to use it.

As for what to eat the guac with....Tostitos makes baked scoops which have less fat/calories that regular tortilla chips.
    Pair the guac with chicken/steak as a “dip”? Use as a spread on sandwiches?

I love avocadoes....I absolutely love them warmed with mustard on top. But I also am a mustard addict HA HA!
  • MommaMeatus
    MommaMeatus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ok, 6 avocado's, juice from 6 limes, 1/2 vidalia onion, 2 large cloves garlic, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 6-8 picked hot pepper rings, 1tsp salt, 2 tbsp chilli powder - Add all into the blender and die of deliciousness. You WILL NOT need any other recipe for guacamole ever again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I use 2 avocados, mashed not blended, diced red onion, diced tomatoes, juice of one lime, lots of cilantro chopped, and a little bit of kosher salt. No need to add extra spice, unless you want it hot you could add some diced jalapeño peppers. I usually eat it with carrot sticks, or I'll make my own low carb tortilla chips from low calorie low carb wraps (just cut into triangles and bake them for about 10-12 minutes until crispy).
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    (A) Greek yogurt does NOT belong in guacamole

(B) Guacamole NEVER goes in the blender

kdiamond has a pretty good one, though I don't use tomatoes or lime. The flavor of the guac is supposed to be dominated by the avocado. Avocado, cilantro, white onion and salt. That's all you need. Mash it with a fork and err on the side of undersalting the guac itself, since the chips are likely to be salty. The other ingredients can be done to taste. I personally like a lot of onion and just a small handful of cilantro.

I don't object to tomato or lime or jalapenos, but being the Texas boy that I am and having grown up with a Mexican father, I believe in the purity of the guac. So, I leave the frills out and could always add those things after the fact if I want to. I can also dip the chip in salsa as well as guac; no need to mix the two.

As for how to eat it, if you don't want to have chips or tacos or chalupas or something like that, then you can always dip veggies in it. Not my choice or preference, but I suppose you could. Ultimately, good guac is worth the calories from chips. Just eat the damn chips. :wink:
  • jessicapron
    jessicapron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is a company called Wildtree. They're now certified organic. Anyway, they make a fantastic Guac seasoning. Simply add the seasoning to mashed avocadoes.

My other favorite is where I make my own homemade pico de gallo and mix it in mashed avocado.
    the pico is:
    4 diced plum tomatoes
    diced red onion (as much or as little as you prefer)
    chopped cilantro
    juice from 1 lime
    salt & pepper to taste
    approx 1 T apple cider vinegar
    Mix all together and refrigerate for better flavor. Mix with avocadoes the next day.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    There is a company called Wildtree. They're now certified organic. Anyway, they make a fantastic Guac seasoning. Simply add the seasoning to mashed avocadoes.

My other favorite is where I make my own homemade pico de gallo and mix it in mashed avocado.
    the pico is:
    4 diced plum tomatoes
    diced red onion (as much or as little as you prefer)
    chopped cilantro
    juice from 1 lime
    salt & pepper to taste
    approx 1 T apple cider vinegar
    Mix all together and refrigerate for better flavor. Mix with avocadoes the next day.

:sick: :noway:
  • TrolleyRide
    TrolleyRide Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Chips are naughty?

I can't even.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    how does one make gauc without garlic! garlic is what makes it!!
    roast your garlic until soft, mince and mix with the usuals to taste, lime, cilantro, tomato, salt and pepper.

the roasted garlic is what will make it stand out above all the rest.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    For best results, I keep it simple and taste as I go!

I make mine out of:

1 mashed avocado
    chopped cilantro
    diced tomatoes
    diced red onions
    minced jalapeno
    minced garlic clove
    a touch of lime juice
    salt
    pepper

Sometimes I am in the mood for more tomato and less cilantro - sometimes the other way around! Keep your ingredient list short, fresh, and be playful. :flowerforyou:
  • saracantthink
    saracantthink Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The salsa you use is the most important part! I make mine with just avocado and salsa, but it has to be Sadie's Salsa!!! It may be found under Sadie's of New Mexico. You can order it online- it is spicy but has a wonderful flavor and makes the best guacamole ever!!!!! Now I am all cravey......
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Guac:

Cilantro, garlic, lime, jalapenos. Quantity depends on your taste.

For something saucy, you can thin the above and use it as a dressing. I tend to add more cliantro and lime, to make it tangy.

I also mix avocados with eggs and chicken for salad.

I have some more recipes here, if you're interested. http://www.pinterest.com/melismusing/paleorific/
  • MelisMusing
    MelisMusing Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    The salsa you use is the most important part! I make mine with just avocado and salsa, but it has to be Sadie's Salsa!!! It may be found under Sadie's of New Mexico. You can order it online- it is spicy but has a wonderful flavor and makes the best guacamole ever!!!!! Now I am all cravey......

This girl knows what she is talking about. NM knows what's what. (yes I live there). :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Avacados (I use 4)
    1/2 tomato
    diced red onion (to taste - I use a quarter to half)
    diced jalepeno (I use half - use more for more spice)
    diced garlic (at least one clove, but I use more)
    diced cilantro (I use half a bunch)
    one lime, juiced
    sea salt to taste

Mash up the avacados, add all other ingredients and mix in. Eat on chips or with carnitas/tacos/barbacoa... or on sandwiches (yes, I'm odd)
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    All you really need is avocados, lime juice, salt and maybe onion and jalapeno.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I heard that grapes are the most awesome thing ever in guac (fine cooking magazine article probably) but haven't tried it myself yet. One of those things that sounds totally weird at first but then you can't imagine ever not using again because it's so awesome. I guess it would be a bit like how I love grapes in my chicken salad...

I love making creamy avacado pasta sauce and having avacado chunks on top of spicy burrito bowl type dishes (spicy pork with mango salsa and avacados is my fav).
  • jessicapron
    jessicapron Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @1PatientBear.....Wow! Didn't realize I asked for an opinion on my post. Thanks for being rude! Didn't realize there was only one option for Guac out there and clearly you believe that's yours!!!
    No one told you to go buy Wildtree and you don't like apple cider vinegar, then certainly don't eat it.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I smoosh avocado onto a bagel, top with smoked salmon or trout and then add lime juice and red onions.

I could quite happily eat a bowl of guacamole to myself. Mmmm.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just look at my diary and you see I have avocados all the time. They pair great with eggs. Today, I will be mashing my avo in cut up hard boiled eggs and having an egg salad sandwich. Avo replaces mayo.

Eggs, (anyway you prepare them)
    Sandwich
    Baked potato, (Oh yeah, yummy on a potato)
    Salad
    Taco
    Burrito
    Of course, all by it's self too!
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't have mine with me.. but it's Jamie Deen's recipe.. you can find it on the foodnetwork website.. it's quick, simple and oh so yummy! and now that you have me thinking about it I just might have to make it this weekend!
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    (A) Greek yogurt does NOT belong in guacamole

(B) Guacamole NEVER goes in the blender

THIS!!!

I am a big fan of cilantro, so we use a bunch of cilantro, a few roma tomatoes and tomatillos, chopped onion, jalapenos, garlic, and the juice from half a lime. The lime helps it from turning color. Too much lime and then that's all you can taste.

I like avocado mixed in chicken salad, tuna, or as a replacement spread for may.