how do you handle trigger foods

Options
2»

Replies

• heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think relying only on self-control is dangerous and often sets you up for failure. I prefer to look at the underlying reasons because if I can figure those out, I can probably find a solution that (1) will work better in the longterm and (2) won't be so much an issue of my battling myself with self-control as my only weapon.

So, I'd suggest looking at your trigger foods and why they trigger you. Here are some of the issues I've explored:

(1) Am I getting enough calories? I find that if I'm not genuinely hungry, the cravings are a LOT more manageable. So, I'll eat something nutritious -- often veggies with a good fat and some protein (like broccoli with cheese and some tasty chicken) -- and find that the craving is greatly reduced or eliminated altogether. Never go to Costco hungry!

(2) Am I getting enough nutrients? I've found that when I have intense cravings, it's often because I'm not eating very nutrient-dense foods. Instead, I'm eating stuff with more empty calories -- usually sugar or junk from highly processed foods. They're made that way to make you crave more -- no coincidence there. So, when I focus on eating more nutrient dense foods (vegetables in particular, but good meats and fats too), a lot of the cravings dissipate or they're satisfied with a small amount of the craved fodo. I won't greatly overeat them.

(3) If I'm satisfied with those two, then I start looking into psychological issues. Am I bored? Am I anxious? Am I sad? Frustrated? All common things that will drive me towards sweets personally. Once I realize I'm doing this, I can usually refocus the behavior and eat more mindfully rather than mindlessly. If I'm bored, I'll find something useful to do -- work on my never ending "To Do" list or chores that need to be done. If it's the others, I'll usually opt for a bath, a long walk, some heavy bag work or meditation to calm and process the emotions rather than soothing with food.

I've looked at your diary for the last month and the advice that you were given above is perfect for you.

Looking at what you've eaten, your body must be starving! Please ditch some of the processed foods and replace them with whole foods that are high in vitamins, minerals, good fats and protein. Learn how to cook for your own sake.

I know your intentions are probably good, but that was kind of rude. It's one thing to give advice to someone who asks for it, but quite another to tell other people what's best for them unsolicited. What a person decides to eat is their own business.

Yes my intentions are only ever to give honest, intelligent feedback based on the facts available. You're right, I didn't mean to be rude at all. I didn't feel that any of the advice given was unsolicited, the OP is crying out for some help and I really felt for her. Please always allow for the fact that intonation and expression cannot be conveyed in a post and I will word any future posts more carefully.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I chose an eating plan that lets me work in anything I might want. I can't have it all the same meal or day, but if I want a doughnut, I can work it in. I chose a plan that I could live with for life - losing or maintenance.

I also have worked extremely hard to have the attitude of how to make it work, not why it won't.
    Single serves I found work better than I'd ever have dreamed. If I want potato chips, I have a single serve size bag, same for ice cream.

If I want Chinese I find recipes I can make myself (love George Stella's recipes and there are tons of other great recipes on the net that fit how I want to eat.)

Since Easter, I've been slowly working through two boxes of See's chocolates (no that's not usual for me to have but it's a long story as to how it happened) and in that time, I've lost 11.9 pounds. It can be worked in if you have just one serving, and you have appropriate foods for the rest of that meal and for all of that day.

You have to find what will work for you. I'm coming up on my 3rd anniversary of beginning to seriously change my life (just had my one year MFP anniversary) and I've lost 170.6 pounds total.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Much has been written of self-control as a muscle--it can be strengthened and under too much stress it can give out. Here is an article with strengthening suggestions, and references. http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/willpower-self-control.pdf There's a lot more like this on the web if you look.

I have 3 teenagers in the house so there is always some junk food in the pantry. I totally agree with posters who say it's best just not to have tempting foods around, but I make concessions for my kids' sake (being overly strict deprives them of an opportunity to learn moderation on their own, and they are amazingly moderate). I do MUCH better when it's not around. That said, 2 things help me deal with the temptation. (1) I build snacks I like into my meal plan for the day and tell myself the kid snacks are off limits to me because I have my own, much better, snacks. E.g. 1 oz almonds curbs my sweet craving and is really satisfying. It's easy to go over 1 oz, so I actually pre-measure. Nerdy, I know, but I've proven to myself many times I need that guardrail. (2) In the morning, I plan my intake for the day. It's a lot easier to go "off-roading" when there is no defined road in the first place. Having a plan makes it easier to follow.

All of Lindsey's suggestions were really good ones, I thought.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    -Edited-