Cranberries

Options
lloydrt
lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
just a heads up, since it the season, and turkey day is just around the corner, Dr Oz swears by cranberries, and now studies are being done in regard to the benefits of eating them, they are low in calories, and are a great source to the heart and are good for stomach ulcers, as well as being better to drink than apple juice or raisins.........so, finally we can eat something during the holidays that is good for us, cuz there aint much health food around during these times.....lol

good luck, Im using for the first time, sweet potoates with out the marshmallows, brown sugar and nuts.........just plain potatoes with turkey is going to be about all Im going to consume..................., with a few glasses of red wine, lol.......

Theres only 200 calories in this one wine I am going to drink, so Im planning ahead................Lloyd

Replies

• JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Nice planning ahead! Thanks for the cranberry tip.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Cranberrys may be healthy, but the way the are prepared in most homes is so not! I helped my mom make the cranberry sauce for Canadian thanksgiving this year and could not believe how much sugar is in them! That being said, I use craisens in my oatmeal every morning because I like the taste better than raisens. And cranberry juice is yummy, but it usually has a lot of added sugar, so make sure you are getting a pure one or else all the health benefits are outweighed by the sugar content!
  • angela75022
    angela75022 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I watched that one today lol... the Stroke thing freaked me out a lil bit.. but I already know my risks sooo...

And for anyone who doesn't like cranberries.. Craisins are great, I chop them up and add them to muffins
    or put in oatmeal cookies instead of raisins:flowerforyou:
  • strongerthanb4
    Options
    cranberries on a grren salad are fantastic. I am ready for turkey day....salad, turkey, sweet taters (w/out the gunk on them), califlower, greens beans,.........yum yum yum! ooohh and cranberries!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I buy unsweetened cranberry juice at Trader Joe's and add a little to the water I drink. I actually like the little bit of tartness, and you're right, it's VERY good for you. Cranberry sauce is also great on turkey sandwiches!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    ^I do that too! I actually take a little shot of unsweetened cranberry in the mornings cause I feel like it revs me up :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I loooove cranberries. The whole, not dried cranberries. Try adding them to your oatmeal before cooking. They *pop* as they cook and are delicious!

Also another good snack is to slice an apple and add whole cranberries. Microwave for about 2 minutes or until soft and top w/ yogurt and a few walnuts. Very healthy snack that tastes like dessert. :bigsmile:
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Options
    I loooove cranberries. The whole, not dried cranberries. Try adding them to your oatmeal before cooking. They *pop* as they cook and are delicious!

Also another good snack is to slice an apple and add whole cranberries. Microwave for about 2 minutes or until soft and top w/ yogurt and a few walnuts. Very healthy snack that tastes like dessert. :bigsmile:

That sounds fantastic!