floppy skin

Options
Hi! I would like to know if there is any way to prevent floppy skin when loosing weight. Im concerned about that especially since I have a big belly (thanks to my two wonderful babies!) and Im working hard to get rid of the fat, but the skin there is not so firm as it used to be. :(

Replies

• cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I hear that losing weight at a healthy, slow pace helps. But I agree, floppy skin is scary!
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You need to start toning up your body so your skin will tighten up as you shrink in size.. try lifting weights and other toning exercises throughout the week along with your cardio exercise.. that will help!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    lose it slow and excerside the areas n question
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to get some and have asked around. I am tolld most of it will go away with additional weight loss and to not do weights or heavy toning until the end of the weight loss - although I do some strength training now. Guess I will see - if I have alot I am going to have surgery!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    yes, losing slowly. yes toning and MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE MOISTURIZE!!! Keeping your skin supple will help a lot in retaining elasticity OO OOO and lots and lots of water!!! :drinker:
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to get some and have asked around. I am tolld most of it will go away with additional weight loss and to not do weights or heavy toning until the end of the weight loss

GAH! WHO TOLD YOU THAT?!?!?!? Developing muscle simply helps you burn fat at rest and tones all those muscles we all long to see (think abs and sexy calves). Your muscle tone doesn't have anything to do with skin elasticity.
  • babygirlrere
    Options
    THANKS FOR POSTING THIS TOPIC CAUSE I AM HAVING THAT PROBLEM NOW AND WAS ADVISED TO HALF UP MY WORKOUT TO HALF CARDIO AND HALF WEIGHTS TO START TONING UP.........
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I had 4 full term babies. After the 3 I lost a lot of weight and got very skinny (when they were school ages). My belly did shrink, but there was some extra skin. Like a small pouch. It would not go away because it was just extra skin. That's a small price to pay for having good babies. Now that i'm older, 48, I'm worried about the goose/turkey gobble neck skin!
  • demsky_04
    Options
    From what I have read and learned in school and online research, massaging the skin will help increase circulation and getting the blood flowing freely, therefor increasing elasticity. Many products say it will reduce cellulite, dimples, lose skin, and strech marks, but it's really the massaging that's doing the trick, don't waste your money or hopes on that. Losing weight slowly will also help b/c you won't notice the skin being lose unlike if you was going from fat to skinny fast. And finally strength training only helps make things not jiggle but it doesn't help tightning and firming of the skin. I hope this helps and good luck on your journey!
  • erinsolesky
    erinsolesky Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have had two healthy babies and can say that extra skin is just part of my life now. I gained 60 pounds when I was pregnant with my first baby and unfortunately created damage to my whole body. I am now at a healthy weight and have had a second child in the meantime. My skin on my belly is loose and has stretch marks. I work daily at the gym doing cardio and weight training. I can say that the skin has shrunk considerably, but it is still there. I have come to the realization that it is part of my body now and I just have to accept it and LOVE it. I am healthy and have two great kids to show for it!!!!! I think that our society tells us that we have to have slender, skinny legs, no cellulite, no stretch marks, etc. to be "desirable" but in my opinion, it gives me character and individuality!!!! I say LOVE yourself and ALL of your flaws!!!!!!!!!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I am just starting to get some and have asked around. I am tolld most of it will go away with additional weight loss and to not do weights or heavy toning until the end of the weight loss - although I do some strength training now. Guess I will see - if I have alot I am going to have surgery!

That is terrible advice!
  • AngelaCourtneyjones
    Options
    I'm no fitness trainer or anything but I believe if you lose the weight at a slow pace and add light weight toning to your workout plan that it will help...it's going to depend on your age and how overweight you were as to how much floppy skin you'll have. Toning will help but more than likely...there will be some loose skin.:flowerforyou: