Hidden Calories

Options
lavendy17
lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
For lunch, I sometimes pick up food from the buffet area of the lunch place in my office building. I pick the healthiest things I can.

My question for the day is- as I select my healthy grilled vegetables and boiled turkey breast, I am sure there are hidden calories. The vegetables are probably grilled with some oil.

I do not pile high, probably a cup of assorted vegetables all together.

How should I account for mystery calories and would you recommend putting as quick add calories or as oil?

Thanks!

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Can you ask the place you get food from? Maybe the manager can tell you the kind of oil they use? I wouldn't rely on them saying they use a tbs or whatever their measurement would be, but I think asking them might get you some info.
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would advise against using quick add calories. This will only give you the calories, and not the macro/micro breakdowns.

If it were me I would add a serving of olive oil to your meal, just to be on the safe side. Or, you could always just ask how they prepare the vegetables (or any other dish you aren't sure about).
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I created 3 custom foods for my diary. One is called fat, it has 9 calories and 1 gram of fat. One is called carb it has 4 calories and 1 gram of carbs. The last as you might have guessed is called protein it has 4 calories and 1 gram of protein. When recreating meals that I have no nutritional info for I use these as apposed to quick add calories because I can still track macros this way.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    boiled turkey? eeeeeew
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ha ha... Not sure it's boiled.... it's like a dish with carrots and cooked turkey sliced into nice portions, but seems like it was in water or something, I'm not a cooking expert. It has flavor. It was also just an example because sometimes I have fish or chicken.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I add a tbs of oil to my entry or log it as saute.