Cancer Fighting Foods Challenge

Options
this is an article I copied after googling, "Cancer Fighting Foods," by Live Strong Living Well...take a look and I challenge you to add 1 item from this list of 11 this week to your diet, if you haven't already. Try adding 1 more item until you've accustomed yourself to eating for your health! The only thing missing in my kitchen from this list right now is red grapes. But normally, I have them.

Diet and exercise can be powerful tools when trying to prevent cancer. Nearly two-thirds of Americans with cancer survive for more than five years after diagnosis. Appropriate weight, a healthful diet, and a physically active lifestyle are particularly important because survivors' risk for new cancers or other chronic illnesses are higher than normal.

1. Beans: Beans contain a number of phytochemicals, which have been shown to prevent or slow genetic damage to cells. While this makes beans beneficial for helping to reduce your risk of many types of cancer, specific research has suggested they are especially potent in preventing prostate cancer. As an added bonus, the high fiber content of beans has been connected with a lower risk of digestive cancers.

2. Berries: The two most widely studied cancer-fighting compounds in berries are ellagic acid (richest in strawberries and raspberries) and anthocyanosides (richest in blueberries). Ellagic acid is believed to help prevent skin, bladder, lung, and breast cancers, both by acting as an antioxidant and by slowing the reproduction of cancer cells. The anthocyanosides in blueberries are currently the most powerful antioxidants known to scientists and are beneficial in the prevention of all types of cancer.

3. Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale) Cruciferous vegetables-like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and kale-are rich in a variety of compounds that have been shown to slow cancer growth and development in a number of laboratory studies. Other larger human studies have shown that cruciferous vegetables can help to reduce the risk of lung, stomach, colorectal, prostate, and bladder cancers.

4. Dark Green Leafy Vegetables: Leafy-green vegetables-like romaine lettuce, mustard greens, chicory, and Swiss chard-are rich sources of antioxidants called carotenoids. These compounds scavenge dangerous free radicals from the body before they can promote cancer growth. The vegetables are also rich in folate, a vitamin shown to reduce the risk of lung and breast cancer.

5. Flaxseed: Flaxseed in the form of oil and meal contains phytoestrogens believed to reduce the risk of breast, skin, and lung cancer. Research on the potency of flaxseed as an anti-cancer food is still underway.

6. Garlic (including onions, scallions, leeks, and chives): Garlic contains a number of compounds believed to slow or stop the growth of tumors. One such compound, diallyl disulfide, appears to be especially potent in protecting against skin, colon, and lung cancer, though it is not known exactly how it functions.

7. Grapes: Grapes and wine contain a chemical called resveratrol, which has been shown to be a potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. Resveratrol is thought to work by preventing cell damage before it begins. Red and purple grapes are the richest sources of resveratrol.

8. Green Tea (decaf): Green tea is a rich source of a class of flavonoids known as catechins. Laboratory studies have shown that the catechins present in green tea are able to slow or prevent the development of cancer in colon, liver, breast, and prostate cells.

9. Soy: Soy is rich in isoflavones, compounds that have been shown to protect against cancer of the bladder, cervix, lung, and stomach. Soy also contains components that resemble some of the body's natural hormones. These components may be beneficial in preventing breast and prostate cancers.

10. Tomatoes: The anti-cancer compound in tomatoes, lycopene, has been shown to be especially potent in combating prostate cancer. This compound appears to be more easily absorbed if the tomatoes are eaten in processed form-either as tomato sauce, paste, or juice. In addition to preventing prostate cancer, lycopene may also protect against breast, lung, stomach, and pancreatic cancer.

11. Whole Grains: Whole grains contain a variety of anti-cancer compounds, including fiber, antioxidants, and phytoestrogens. When eaten as part of a balanced diet, whole grains can help decrease the risk of developing most types of cancer.

Replies

• SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    those are awesome tips!! Dont forget to read your labels and make sure you are not getting GMO foods. That can be the trick!!!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    We don't buy any processed food...what is GMO?

Last year I changed switched our family from low fat processed food to the Mediterranean Diet lifestyle. I hope that by eating healthy now, we can reverse any damage I may have caused our family.

Last night a friend wrote me how her colleague passed away from pancreatic cancer age 46. She appeared to be a picture of health yet she started feeling tired and run down in August. About 6 weeks ago she started getting a low grade fever off and on and then about 5 weeks ago it spiked to 102 every day. Went to Dr for antibiotics etc. Stopped work about 4 weeks ago b/c of the fever and fatigue. 2 weeks ago she ended up in hospital and they diagnosed her with possible pancreatic cancer that had spread to her liver. She passed away 2 days ago.

I googled possible causes of the cancer....processed meat!! among 1 possibility!

Pancreatic cancer link to processed meats

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/news/pancreatic_cancer_link_to_processed_meats.htm

A study found that consumption of processed meats, red meat and pork increased a persons' risk of developing cancer of the pancreas. Researchers have hypothesised that the method of preparing the meat is involved with its carcinogenic properties. Pancreatic cancer has a very poor prognosis due to its often late presentation, with 5% survival after 5 years.
    Source: summary of medical news story as reported by Forbes
    Read more at http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/news/pancreatic_cancer_link_to_processed_meats.htm?ktrack=kcplink

What causes it?

While little is known about the cause, the following factors may increase the risk of getting pancreatic cancer. They include exposure to cancer-causing agents; cigarette smoking; a high fat, low fiber diet; a diet high in foods containing food additives; and diabetes. Although the link has not been proven, people who work with petroleum and certain chemicals used in the dry cleaning industry should follow the safety guidelines for handling these chemicals.

Diet: Diets high in meats, cholesterol fried foods and nitrosamines may increase risk, while diets high in fruits and vegetables reduce risk. Folate may be protective.
  • SassyStef
    Options
    GM is Genetically Modified Foods (sorry must have hit the O by accident lol)...it is scary what the FDA is not protecting us from. Even most of the Soy products in the US are genetically modified!!

We only eat organic, all natural, and shop local grown foods. Just much safer that way, at least for us.

Here is a little more info too:
    Genetically modified (GM) foods are foods derived from genetically modified organisms. Genetically modified organisms have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering techniques. These techniques are much more precise than mutagenesis (mutation breeding) where an organism is exposed to radiation or chemicals to create a non-specific but stable change. Other techniques by which humans modify food organisms include selective breeding (plant breeding and animal breeding), and somaclonal variation.
    GM foods were first put on the market in the early 1990s. Typically, genetically modified foods are transgenic plant products: soybean, corn, canola, and cotton seed oil. Animal products have also been developed, although as of July 2010 none are currently on the market.[1] In 2006 a pig was controversially[2][3] engineered to produce omega-3 fatty acids through the expression of a roundworm gene.[4] Researchers have also developed a genetically-modified breed of pigs that are able to absorb plant phosphorus more efficiently, and as a consequence the phosphorus content of their manure is reduced by as much as 60%.[5]
    Critics have objected to GM foods on several grounds, including possible safety issues,[6] ecological concerns, and economic concerns raised by the fact that these organisms are subject to intellectual property law.

SCARY!!
  • SassyStef
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your friend!! Sending my condolences, it happens so fast and plp dont even realize it can be a product of what we are eating and exspoing ourselve to. My neighbor son is 17 and beat cancer by switching to an all organic diet, chemo was killing him and he is 2 years out. She swears by organic foods!!
    My great grand mother just passed away from bone cancer and she went really fast as well. With in two weeks she was put on hospice care, it just breaks my heart!!