Can weight lifting make you faster?

Options
This is a total shot in the dark. I kick box and have for quite some time. The weight training I did was 20 lb weights, high reps with quick movements. It seemed to make sense to build speed/tensile strength to make myself faster. It was more or less cardio with a bit of weight resistance.

About 6 months ago I decided to try out heavier (for me) weights with lower reps. I started out with an empty bar for bench press, front squats and dead lift for a few months.Then I started adding weight SLOWLY to figure out what the hell I was doing with youtube videos for any kind of form.

Then I found MFP got some tips on the basics of weight lifting and bought the book "starting strength". I'm starting to increase weight by 5 lbs every 2 weeks now. I weight lift 2xs a week. I kick box 3 times a week. I have 2 down days as the kick boxing is INTENSE. I can lose, even with a ton of calories and 2 liters of water, 2 1//2 lbs in one day.

BP 75
press 50
squat 85
DL 105
brain crunchers 40

It's still light but it's the heaviest I've ever done while kick boxing, by far. At first I was so sore I could hardly get through a kick boxing class. I started to increase my calories (without gaining weight) and feeling pretty good. I'd had to lose 8.5 lbs to make my weight class. Once I started eating more I wasn't sore or tired after weight lifting.

Here's my actual question. Can you get faster at a speed sport, like contact sparing, from lifting weights? I don't know if it's all in my head but I would swear I've gotten quite a bit faster. Especially my high, spinning back kicks. I also transition from one kick to another switching directions faster. My punches got harder (obviously) but I'm pretty sure they are faster too. I also don't "gas out" as fast, if at all.

I was under the impression speed came from staying light, aerobic style training and that weights would make you stronger not faster. I thought more muscle would slow you down as it weighs more. Is there some kind of limit to what I can put on working with heavy weights for power? I probably couldn't bulk if I tried. I'm tall and rather rangy genetically. (5' 9" 145 lb female)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    well yes- to an extent- if you start actually bulking- it can hinder you. But...
    a big fat but.....

You aren't going to magically bulk by lifting- sprinters have massive quads- I can without a shadow of a doubt promise you that this does not come exclusively from sprint training.

And for women it's laughable hard to bulk- so go head- lift away- i'm as fast if not faster than I was previously- and I'm the same size- and lifting significantly more than I was when I was competing for running.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You can!
    Lifting weights will help with your strength and power. Part of this is from muscle fiber recruitment and teaching your muscles to fire together more efficiently. When you apply this to another power motion (kicking) - it will help!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    In short strength = more power, more endurance, better coordination, etc. So to answer your question - yes strength can make you faster. People don't realize how strength effects every aspect of fitness, for the better...
  • ernurse77
    ernurse77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Strength training definitely makes you faster!!! I lifted heavy all winter long, started softball in April, and I swear I was faster. It wasn't until a teammate mentioned to me that I was faster than last year. I am more explosive out of the batters box than previously.

Keep lifting!!! It does a body good!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I didn't think it was all in my head! I wish I'd known about power training with heavier weights sooner!

I have had agility and speed over the guys in my class. I had to watch out for their much greater power. Now we'll see who is stronger!!! :wink: I'll bet this vastly improves my ground work, too. Being tall and lanky is definitely a hindrance on the ground.

Sprinters do have big quads. I never thought about that. I always thought in terms of marathoning (as it gets it tends to get a ton more press than sprinting.
    More muscle, more power and balance makes sense too. Balance comes from muscle coordination.

Thank you everyone! You are all an inspiration to lift more for more power!