Antidepressants and weight loss

Options
Has anyone bee on any antidepressants (other than Wellbutrin) and had success with weight loss? I can't beleive that still 2 years later, how slllllooooooow my progress has been. Its getting very very frustrating. My doctor warned me it was going to be hard, but I didn't think it would be like this....

Replies

• goldspaula
    Options
    After menopause, my doctor prescribed Celexa. I felt so much better and when I did diet, I lost weight. I felt so happy all the time I didn't really want to diet though. :D My sister was on it long term and did fine. She was active and got down to a size 8 for her wedding!
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Maybe try St Johns Wort.... its a herbal alternative.. and it definitely worked for me... xxx
  • rochelleac8
    rochelleac8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been prescribed Wellbutrin which you mentioned being on anything OTHER than that. I don't know if Abilify is an Anti-depressant or just a mood stabilizer. And i'm also taking Klonopin for anxiety (yes...at 25 i'm a mess...) And so far my weight loss has been quick. but now i'm at my usual "plateau" weight and I'm not sure if I'll make it below it....i'm gonna keep trying...
  • dietcokaholic2
    Options
    I have been on Depakote, Wellbutrin, Seroquel, Ambien and a bunch of other meds for a long while. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and ride my stationary bike with weights and have been losing weight relatively well! Best of luck to you!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Good to hear some encouraging stories. I lost quickly over the summer when i was on Wellbutrin, but couldn't stay on it, so went back onto the Celexa. I figured it wasn't worth it, to be miserable just to be skinny! So since September, I've put weight right back on. I've always excercised a lot, but have focused on cardio over the summer...time to get back to weights and bodypump. I think I need to start tracking my calories a lot closer as well. Hopefully in six weeks I'll see some progress!