Protein Bars

Options
Deborah105
Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
I need a recommendation for my 84 year-old diabetic mother-in-law. She's been in and out of the hospital the past few weeks and it's getting difficult to get her to eat anything other than crap. I'd love to find a protein bar that is tasty yet not entirely full of sugar.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Thanks Peeps.

Replies

• GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lots of people are likely to recommend Quest bars (myself I love 'em). Just a headsup, they have a LOT of fiber, and many people report difficulties after trying them for the first time. Might not be the best idea for an 84 y.o.

Pure Protein is another option--decent taste, only 2-3g sugar.

Think Thin has 0g sugar. Haven't tried it, can't vouch for the taste.

Oh Yeah has 8g sugar. Not as bad as some (e.g. Cliff Builder's with 22g).

--

But these are all protein bars. Might also have look looking it meal replacement bars. Good luck!
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Was going to recommend Quest, myself. :) The ingredient list is brief and identifiable, two things I look for.

But, yeah, almost as much fiber as protein. Maybe start with a third or half a bar at a time so as not to clear her colon all at once. The fiber should be good for her, but may be a bit much until her body adjusts.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Quest bars here. They're delicious, very low in sugar, and high in fiber. The high fiber content, if she's not used to it, can be shocking at first. Have her counter this with plenty of fluids and increase gradually.
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    check the labels and watch out for artificial sugars
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I need a recommendation for my 84 year-old diabetic mother-in-law. She's been in and out of the hospital the past few weeks and it's getting difficult to get her to eat anything other than crap. I'd love to find a protein bar that is tasty yet not entirely full of sugar.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? Thanks Peeps.

I'm a Quest Affiliate and can help you with any questions. Message me if you have any questions about Questbars.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I like thinkThin and they're sugar free. I've tried chunky peanut butter and white chocolate so far... both good.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I love the Pure Protein bars. I wasn't a fan of Think Thin but I only tried one kind.
  • Deborah105
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I picked up a couple of Pure Protein bars yesterday to try and couldn't even eat two bites. Yuck! :)

I'll have to give the Quest ones a try? Sounds like that one is a winner.

My biggest fear is she eats lots of crap as I said and a protein bar will taste like medicine to her and she won't eat them. We were at her apartment Tuesday evening bearing roasted chicken and she ate a few bites. Tried to cover up that she wasn't eating. My husband had picked up a tiny piece of cake for her (I know) and she found a way to eat that.

:/

I know she's older and people don't change, but I feel badly for her.

Her apartment was littered with open cracker sleeves, cookie crumbs. She doesn't move much. Husband and I made her walk around the inside of her building. I pretended I wanted to see all the amenities in her assisted living place. She was not happy with me. Her family always lets her off at any door so "mom doesn't have to walk." Bad idea!

rambling rambling

Again, thanks for all the recommendations!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    My grams used to drink slimfast shakes. She really liked the vanilla ones. They helped her keep her weight up (oh the irony). Can you talk to her doctor about suggestions? The protein bars are typically designed for a different age and weight demographic and may be too high in sugar, fiber, etc who knows. Some of the additives in protein bars can be extremely dangerous for the elderly. Some of the medicines the elderly are on cannot be consumed with an excess of caffeine/chocolate (often protein bars are very chocolatey). Other fun medicine-affecting foods that sometimes find their way into protein bars: added Vitamin K, added Vitamin E, excess sodium, dairy, etc.

Here's a guide. At the least, you can run down her medicines and see if there are any interactions. I still highly recommend talking with her doctor. http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/GeneralUseofMedicine/UCM229033.pdf
  • Deborah105
    Options
    Hi @britishbrocco, thanks for the link, but I cannot get it to work. I'd love to see that information.

Aren't Slimfast shakes full of sugar? And not much else? I haven't looked at them in years.
  • Chickie25
    Chickie25 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Theres a product similar to Slimfast but made for diabetics called Glucerna, and they have bars too.

http://glucerna.com/diabetes-products (US)

http://glucerna.ca/english/ (Canada)
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Try powercrunch bars (pick up individual samples at walmart or vitamin shop). Seriously - they are like sugar wafers but have 14g protein, ~10g fat and and ~8-10g carbs. They are completely different than traditional protein bars - very light and airy! and addictive...
  • lollipoprincess
    lollipoprincess Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Check out probars, tad expensive but all natural ingredients!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    What about Ensure shakes? Aren't they designed to provide a lot of nutrition in a little shake?

The nursing home my grandma is in gives her one a day split throughout the day so it's not all at once. Sometimes it's the only thing they can get her to eat that day.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    What about a little bit of Greek yoghurt with some protein powder mixed under? Greek yoghurt has tons of protein.
    Stef.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are good but are a little harder and chewy - Think Thin bars are good as well - maybe a better texture for my taste. I also use Great lakes Collagen protein powder - dissolves instantly in any liquid - I add it to my coffee. Maybe you could add some to her liquids for extra protein.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bounce or Pulsin bars are like eating cake but without the sugar :)
  • Deborah105
    Options
    Wow you guys! All of these are fantastic ideas! It's great to have several things to try because she's sneaky!

This help is priceless.
  • blonditz
    blonditz Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For taste I like the Zone Perfect bars. They're a little higher in sugar, but at least they don't have any fake sugars.