Calories Burned during Strength Training

Options
2»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just use mfp's strength training calorie burn in the cardio section and subtract the time of my lifting breaks. This is the best strategy that I have been able to come up with so far, and I am still steadily losing pounds and inches. I lift extremely heavy, so I am pretty sure that I am burning more than I am logging. However, I would rather underestimate than overestimate. As others have mentioned, a HRM is not accurate for lifting calorie burns.

Thank you this is a helpful idea.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I just use mfp's strength training calorie burn in the cardio section and subtract the time of my lifting breaks. This is the best strategy that I have been able to come up with so far, and I am still steadily losing pounds and inches. I lift extremely heavy, so I am pretty sure that I am burning more than I am logging. However, I would rather underestimate than overestimate. As others have mentioned, a HRM is not accurate for lifting calorie burns.

Thank you this is a helpful idea.

:smile:
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was using the strength section to monitor how many reps and how much weight I was doing. That way I know when to bump up, and I can see how far I've progressed over a certain period. Then I use the cardio strength to measure calories.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I typically log it generically under strength training in cardio. It's worked well thus far
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I strength train in a class setting...so its a consistent burn.. and I add to the cardio section..

Although I have friends that do their strength training on their own..and the calories burnt can be different..to that note, they have either used "1" as the calorie burnt..as it is hard to really calculate strength training burns..but if its constant, non stop training...then as above user has said "manually" add it in, as your own ;-)

MFP gives you a section for strength training, basically to keep u informed on what areas u worked at any given day..

For the constant burn all day long..you might want to look into one of those "HRM's" that give you the TDEE..

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:

Rachael