Is there a better time of day to work out?

Options
I've been working out in the late morning, because it fits best with my schedule. Usually have a light breakfast around 8:30 and then work out at 10 (either some circuit training, light weights or elliptical training). Then lunch around 12:30 or 1. Sometimes a light snack after the work out. Is there a better time of day to get maximum calorie burn? Or does it not matter at all, as long as you're exercising?

Only asking because I, like many, am having trouble getting that scale to move in the right direction! LOL So I was wondering if maybe working out on an empty stomach is better or maybe at night before bed? I have no clue, so I thought I'd ask. :)

Thanks.

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    There's no real definitive answer for this. I've worked out at all times of the day and still lost. It's most likely another factor which could be diet related or whether or not you're doing the same workouts often.

Feel free to friend me, we may be able to pinpoint what's going on! :)
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    The best time of day to work out is whenever you can do it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

^^^This. I usually get to the gym around 5am. It's the only time I can fit it into my day.

When I first started working out, I went after work- usually had a 250~ish calorie protein/carb snack after lunch at 3:15 and got to the gym at 5:30. Now I train on an empty stomach in the mornings- I usually don't eat after 8:30pm (no particular reason, I usually have dinner around 6:30). My goals aren't to lose weight anymore like they were when I was going after work, but I've seen positive results both ways.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There were a couple of studies that suggested some benefit to working out fasted first thing in the morning (in terms of fat oxidation, I don't think the actual calories expended was any different) but when you looked at the underlying data the difference was so small it didn't warrant mentioning (and one of the studies, IIRC, consisted of young males who were already in good shape).

The best time to work out is what ever fits into your schedule. I'm a morning person, most people aren't.

Are you taking measurements? Are you clothes getting looser? There's more to this than just the number on a scale (and that you can get to go down by just maintaining a modest caloric deficit)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

This!

There is no certain time to exercise that would provide any kind of health advantage over other times. I have read though, that on average people who workout in the morning usually stick with it more than people who workout at other times of the day. This I believe is probably due to the fact that you're fresh and you can get it out of the way. It's not an end all be all, though.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Isn't there science to show that doing cardio exercise while your blood sugar is low (fasted state) means your body will burn fat (and some muscle?) to fuel the exercise?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Isn't there science to show that doing cardio exercise while your blood sugar is low (fasted state) means your body will burn fat (and some muscle?) to fuel the exercise?

You NEVER want to use muscle as fuel if you can avoid it.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options

^^^This.

I do weights in the morning and cardio in the evens...just because the cardio is a group actvity. Also, I feel stronger first thing in the morning...but I used to workout at the gym in the afternoon, so it all comes down to schedule.
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I guess I'll just keep doing what works for me then and not worry about WHEN I'm working out and just be happy that I'm doing it at all! :)