what was your wake up call?

Options
2»

Replies

• guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    When I was 15 I was diagnosed with Benign Intercranial Pressure, which is a disease which causes me to produce too much spinal fluid, which apparently can really screw up your body and cause you to go blind. I was 15 though and didnt take it very seriously, I took the meds and the doctor told me I needed to lose weight, at LEAST 25% of my body weight, but as a stupid teenager I didnt care. I am 2 weeks from 18 now and have grown up a tad, and now I see that my body is out of control My doctor recently told me that if the fluid didnt go down from the meds or from weight loss soon, i would have to have a shunt put into my skull to release the pressure. Obviously that is terrifying, and its made me turn my life into a complete 180. Its helped me discover more reasons to get healthy as well. I just want to live a normal life with a relatively healthy body.
  • DesertMermaid29
    DesertMermaid29 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I have literally no clothes to wear anymore and not wanting to buy new ones. Also, passing my "never pass" weight by 10ibs in a month. Ouch! But I'm up to the challenge. I lost 30ibs 2 years ago on MFP and gained 5ibs after "maintaining" for a year. Then I went to college and lived in the dorms. When I realized I was eating pizza twice a week, combined with my clothes not fitting and my bra size jumping, I realized that it's time to lose the weight again, but this time, better and keep it off.
  • MrCTorresKC0713
    Options
    Honestly, my wake up call was my profile picture. I played in a golf tournament here in Kansas City on April 26th and I wore the same shirt I did 2 years ago for the same tournament. I noticed a visible difference in my face and and stomach. I always tend to lose weight in the summer months because I play so much softball and golf, but seeing that picture made me realize I was doing something wrong. My family has a history or heart disease and my mom recently had a mild(lmao @ mild) heart attack. My father has been fighting weight for as long as I can remember bc he is borderline type 2. I figured it was time to do something about how I am living and my health. SO here I am 14 pounds down from that golf tournament, and I am only getting started.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I was at the park watching our son play and each time he asked me to play with him I made some excuse.

Now, I'm the one encouraging him to the park so we can run the track together.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I weighed over 200 lbs at 5'6", and my Dad had a heart attack. If I didn't change, I would end up the same way.
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wanting to join the Army and being 112lbs over weight.

I lost it, and got to enlist.
  • squiggysmama
    Options
    My boyfriend cheated with someone super skinny. Now i want to lose the weight so it won't happen again.

While I admire you for wanting to lose weight, I have to say -- he didn't cheat because she was skinny. He cheated because he is a loser. Find someone better. If your motivation is outside yourself, it won't last. Lose weight for you -- not for anyone else.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    When I woke up from my alternate reality in which the weight I was at was normal for my height. It wasn't normal by anyone's standards at my height. 195 at 4'11".
  • ChaiyaChaiya21
    ChaiyaChaiya21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist told me that he would give me one more year and if I couldn't get my weight under control that I would need to look into "big person surgery". I was horrified I always knew I was "a bit bigger" but it had never once crossed my mind that I would be eligible for bariatric surgery. I then really sat down and thought about how I felt and how I looked and thought that I had enough of being tired, sore, and embarrassed about existing in any social situation.

Now that I can compare what few pictures I let people take of me to now I am not sure how I was so deluded into thinking I was just a little chubby but I am actively doing something about it now and that is what matters!!
  • ChaiyaChaiya21
    ChaiyaChaiya21 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend cheated with someone super skinny. Now i want to lose the weight so it won't happen again.

While I admire you for wanting to lose weight, I have to say -- he didn't cheat because she was skinny. He cheated because he is a loser. Find someone better. If your motivation is outside yourself, it won't last. Lose weight for you -- not for anyone else.

I wholeheartedly second that!!!! It's deficiencies in the cheater not in you.