Someone else who needs help.

Options
I've always lurked in this community (among others) but you guys are very friendly and I need some advice or encouragement or something right now. I'm not sure what. Here goes: I am a person who has never been able to eat much. I was obese for most of my teen years because of this. I only ate once or twice a day (if I remembered) and it usually wasn't something particularly healthy. I was always curious as to why I was so overweight when my friends would be eating but I just couldn't bring myself to. In college I became a very active runner and I lost weight pretty quickly (around 3 kg/5-8lbs a month) and eventually hit my goal of a healthy BMI. Over the past year I noticed myself becoming increasingly sedentary and wanted to drop to my ideal weight. Since April 1 I have run at a minimum of 5k at least 6 days a week. However, I've fallen back into my trap of only snacking on veggies, nuts, and pretzels and forgetting to eat. I don't binge, but I do occasionally eat something I regret (like a few pieces of pizza or spaghetti). I have gained around 5 pounds since then. I'm very, very upset. I understand that my under 1k daily calorie consumption is possibly crashing my metabolism, but the idea of eating more already upsets my stomach. I decided to start weight lifting for a half an hour every other day instead of running to possibly make me hungrier or at least try to get rid of my cardio flab, but I'm scared of gaining more weight.

It could also be water weight, but why would I gain 5 pounds of water weight steadily over a month after starting a strict cardio regime? I've been drinking probably a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated, but I weigh myself in the morning.

Replies

• AnnieNicole29
    Options
    If you are going to start weight lifting you have to eat more! Try adding a protein shake to provide the nutrients you need. BSN Syntha 6 is really tasty so you can mix it with just water if you can't don't want something thick and filling.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes after starting new exercise you can retain that much water esp as a woman...evil isn't it.

As for your intake you do need to eat more than 1k calories...

If you "can't" stomache more food eat high calorie items...and don't feel guilty about eating pizza or spagetti...

I get "forgetting" to eat ...sometimes...but not often as it affects my workouts and health (I don't function well on less than 1500 calories a day)

Esp if you are running 5k a day 6x a week you need to fuel those runs.

Try eating high fat foods like whole milk, cheese, avocadoes etc.

And if you are going to lift weights you have to eat more food...it is dangerous to have weights over your head without enough fuel ....

As for the weight gain lifting weights it will be water and glycogen in the muscles...

Perhaps you should not be on the scale...women who lift are smaller but weigh more...I mean I am not tiny but I do wear a size 5/6 and weigh 156lbs...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • ghostinfestation
    ghostinfestation Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah! I just started shakes this week. I have trouble finishing them, but I still think it's a great way to get that protein (which I do have a really hard time with). I'm trying to eat more... I managed to get down a pretty hearty breakfast today, but haven't been able to eat since :/ I just got back from the gym after my weekly weigh in and felt like I needed to talk about it. Thanks for the responses!

Edit- And stef, that's awesome. I think I would feel much better about myself if I could drop sizes, even if I can't drop weight. I've been at a size 8/9 for two years and a size 6 has always been my goal and it's great to see that someone can be slim but still weigh more. That's really encouraging.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Yes after starting new exercise you can retain that much water esp as a woman...evil isn't it.

As for your intake you do need to eat more than 1k calories...

If you "can't" stomache more food eat high calorie items...and don't feel guilty about eating pizza or spagetti...

I get "forgetting" to eat ...sometimes...but not often as it affects my workouts and health (I don't function well on less than 1500 calories a day)

Esp if you are running 5k a day 6x a week you need to fuel those runs.

Try eating high fat foods like whole milk, cheese, avocadoes etc.

And if you are going to lift weights you have to eat more food...it is dangerous to have weights over your head without enough fuel ....

As for the weight gain lifting weights it will be water and glycogen in the muscles...

Perhaps you should not be on the scale...women who lift are smaller but weigh more...I mean I am not tiny but I do wear a size 5/6 and weigh 156lbs...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

QFT and emphasis