Anxiety about going out for dinner

Tonight my family and I are going to a very nice steakhouse! My favorite dish is the Teryiaki Chicken(530 calories for total amount), and the vegetables and fried rice(close to 450 calories if eaten in it's entirety..The portion size is huge). I have close to 850 calories left and DO NOT want to go over). I saved the most I could for tonight, and I want to enjoy my dinner, but I don't want to go over my calorie goal! Help me! The portions are very big, and I probably will be bringing leftovers home! Thanks!

Replies

• AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    I usually cut my meal in half first thing, and have them pack it up.

Fried rice does nothing for me, so I would probably order it without rice, and with extra veggies. If you like the rice, again, eat 1/3 or 1/2 and get the rest away.

Save those other calories for a glass of wine or two!
  • smiles9090
    smiles9090 Posts: 14 Member
    Yep- bag half that puppy as soon as it gets to the table!
    You got this!
  • seismicmuffin
    seismicmuffin Posts: 160 Member
    When I go out to restaurants I make sure to drink a lot of water. Typically I will finish at least 2 glasses before the food arrives. This helps to keep me full. Then I eat my food slowly (I always used to be the first to clear my plate and then feel horribly bloated the rest of the night). If you eat slowly it will be easier to tell when you're getting full. Then pack up your leftovers for lunch the next day.

If you go over your calories, it's not the end of the world! When I have an "over" day, I just wake up the next morning, drink a bunch of water and keep on with my healthy habits. We all deserve to eat the food we love and not feel guilty! Good luck and enjoy your dinner =)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you might be underestimating calories there. If that japanese steakhouse is anything like the ones here, they use a TON of oil and butter.

That said, there is nothing to be worried about. Go to eat, watch the chef cook and make mental notes about how much oil and butter and meats are being used, and log everything separately. I find it helpful to estimate the meats before it all gets cut up, then just divide it into servings.

Stay away from using much if any of the shrimp sauce and go for the ginger or mustard instead. You can order steamed rice also, which will help, but you may not want to.

My daughters favorite restaurant is a Japanese steakhouse, so we eat there a lot. I usually order the sushi (sashimi), edamame, and soup. If I order a meal, I get chicken without teriyaki and steamed rice.

Finally, not to blow your week, but if it is a special occasion, go and have a good time and get back on track tomorrrow. As long as you don't go crazy, it will only put you a day or so behind to make up for it.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    "I usually cut my meal in half first thing, and have them pack it up. "

Then I look up or give my best guess on what the count might be and have a good time!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    FWP!

But seriously. You got some good advice, here. I'd box up half before you start eating.
  • Stilllosing26
    Stilllosing26 Posts: 256 Member
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it sounds like you might be underestimating calories there. If that japanese steakhouse is anything like the ones here, they use a TON of oil and butter.

That said, there is nothing to be worried about. Go to eat, watch the chef cook and make mental notes about how much oil and butter and meats are being used, and log everything separately. I find it helpful to estimate the meats before it all gets cut up, then just divide it into servings.

Stay away from using much if any of the shrimp sauce and go for the ginger or mustard instead. You can order steamed rice also, which will help, but you may not want to.

My daughters favorite restaurant is a Japanese steakhouse, so we eat there a lot. I usually order the sushi (sashimi), edamame, and soup. If I order a meal, I get chicken without teriyaki and steamed rice.

Finally, not to blow your week, but if it is a special occasion, go and have a good time and get back on track tomorrrow. As long as you don't go crazy, it will only put you a day or so behind to make up for it.

thank you so much!