3 months and 14lbs heavier wtf?

Options
2»

Replies

• chjortlund
    chjortlund Posts: 1
    Options
    Instead of focusing on being demotivated, focus on what you already have achieved: you already have lost 33lbs (that's pretty good!).

You actually look pretty good on the profile pictures, but I'm sure that if you took another 33lbs down, you would be able to pick and choose Mr. Right.

MY TIPS:
    - NO SNACKING!
    - Set a realistic MyFitnessPal goal, that one you have now on the 1200 kcal is quite ambitious especially if you have a demanding fulltime job.
    - Take a walk/jog every evening, it stimulates your metabolism to run in a higher gear through the night.
    - Eat early - that's no reason to eat 2 - 3 hours before going to bed, you will just get kcals you don't need, and you know where they go if they’re not being burned right away.
    - Log your food, even after you have reached your weight goal - your body WANTS to gain efter you have lost weight, especially after a fast weight loss, continue until your weight have been stable for 3 - 4 mounths.

All the best :-)
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on being demotivated, focus on what you already have achieved: you already have lost 33lbs (that's pretty good!).

You actually look pretty good on the profile pictures, but I'm sure that if you took another 33lbs down, you would be able to pick and choose Mr. Right.

MY TIPS:
    - NO SNACKING!
    - Set a realistic MyFitnessPal goal, that one you have now on the 1200 kcal is quite ambitious especially if you have a demanding fulltime job.
    - Take a walk/jog every evening, it stimulates your metabolism to run in a higher gear through the night.
    - Eat early - that's no reason to eat 2 - 3 hours before going to bed, you will just get kcals you don't need, and you know where they go if they’re not being burned right away.
    - Log your food, even after you have reached your weight goal - your body WANTS to gain efter you have lost weight, especially after a fast weight loss, continue until your weight have been stable for 3 - 4 mounths.

I don't agree that no snacking is a must. As long as you log them accurately, are not mindlessly snacking, and you meet your calorie goal, it doesn't matter. The timing of meals also does not matter for weight loss purposes.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

MY TIPS:
    - NO SNACKING!

This doesn't even rise to the level of broscience.
  • k8mccart
    k8mccart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

Though I agree with everyone else that logging your food is the most likely culprit, I just recently found out that my thyroid was under active thus leading to a pound per month increase in weight for the last 6 months. I've always had a small frame and have eaten healthy for years, so this was a shocker - however I just chocked the weight gain up to holiday/work stress, and plain old getting older. Wish I had my blood tested sooner!

Anyway, keep your food diary and if you see no improvement or have any ah-ha moments with your food (which I admittedly did - even with my healthy eating), check that thyroid. It's a very common condition.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

MY TIPS:
    - NO SNACKING!

Snacking has nothing to do with weight loss if you stay within your macros.

What time you eat has nothing to do with weight loss or gain. I literally eat 1500-3000 calories right before bed and don't gain weight when on a cut. Again eat within your macros set and you will lose weight if you weigh your food & you know your true TDEE.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you are not logging food in your food diary that is probably part of the problem right there. If your weight is going up you are eatting to many calories as simple as that. I was surprised at just how many calories I was eatting compared to my allotted in take when I started logging my food. 1 6" sub from subway is more than half my daily calories :0 That puts things into perspective
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That was a very good read. Thanks.
  • Dukesjourney
    Dukesjourney Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Have you taken a pregnancy test?

I'm definitely not pregnant.
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    Hmm seems the generally consensus is to get back to the logging.
    I will take a your comments on board. I will start again tomorrow and keep track of what I eat and hopefully I will see a significant difference.

Barneygood - I don't mean to eat so little. I try not to snack and as standard eat 3 low cal meals a day.
    Any tips for increasing it would be great.

Thank you for all the comments

Calculate your caloric needs to maintain at your current activity then eat 500 calories less than that daily for a one pound per week projected loss ... then accurately measure and log everything (solid and liquid) you consume along with your exercise. Take care not to overestimate your exercise burns and underestimate your intake.

It isn't rocket science. Do the math, figure out what your body NEEDS, go from there.

How would you suggest I calculate this...I'm considering purchasing a fitbit...would you recommend?
  • Dukesjourney
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid levels checked recently?

Though I agree with everyone else that logging your food is the most likely culprit, I just recently found out that my thyroid was under active thus leading to a pound per month increase in weight for the last 6 months. I've always had a small frame and have eaten healthy for years, so this was a shocker - however I just chocked the weight gain up to holiday/work stress, and plain old getting older. Wish I had my blood tested sooner!

Anyway, keep your food diary and if you see no improvement or have any ah-ha moments with your food (which I admittedly did - even with my healthy eating), check that thyroid. It's a very common condition.

I've actually never had my thyroid tested...if after I start this journey again and I see no progress I will get checked.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Hmm seems the generally consensus is to get back to the logging.
    I will take a your comments on board. I will start again tomorrow and keep track of what I eat and hopefully I will see a significant difference.

Barneygood - I don't mean to eat so little. I try not to snack and as standard eat 3 low cal meals a day.
    Any tips for increasing it would be great.

Thank you for all the comments

Calculate your caloric needs to maintain at your current activity then eat 500 calories less than that daily for a one pound per week projected loss ... then accurately measure and log everything (solid and liquid) you consume along with your exercise. Take care not to overestimate your exercise burns and underestimate your intake.

It isn't rocket science. Do the math, figure out what your body NEEDS, go from there.

How would you suggest I calculate this...I'm considering purchasing a fitbit...would you recommend?

Lots of people on here love their FitBits, I'm sure a search of the forums will bring up some topics for you to browse. I personally have no experience with them but have heard good things.

You can also plug your info into a calculator such as: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Your TDEE is what you need to maintain your weight. Just subtract 500 calories from that number (or let Scooby do it for you) and eat that amount. With this method you do not eat your exercise calories back. This should lead to a 1 pound loss each week, a good number for you to aim.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Calculate your caloric needs to maintain at your current activity then eat 500 calories less than that daily for a one pound per week projected loss ...
    You enter your age, height, activity level, and weight into MyFitnessPal and tell it your goal is to lose 1lb/week. The target number of calories for you to eat is then TDEE-500, as long as you log your exercise.
    then accurately measure and log everything (solid and liquid) you consume along with your exercise.
    For liquids, use measuring cups. For solids, use a food scale, preferably that measures in grams.
    A Fitbit will encourage you to take more steps each day. That won't help you lose weight, but it's good for your health. You can also track your walking using a phone app or inexpensive pedometer. Alternatively, aim to walk a certain number of minutes each day, and setup a reward fund. Whatever gets you moving. :)