Maintaining Muscle, Phentermine, and Calories...

Options
drwaddy
drwaddy Posts: 50 Member
Ok, so I've read a ton of posts and I just want to more or less re-iterate what I've read and get confirmation that I'm not stupid and it makes sense lol...

You can maintain muscle at a calorie deficit, even a drastic one, so long as you didn't have a lot of bulk to begin with, a newbie like me with a simple low weight, high rep workout...

Taking Phentermine will make a lower calorie diet easier to handle as you don't feel the need to constantly stuff your face... Which honestly on a really high protein diet like this should be easy anyway.

So, I can get away with a 1500 calorie or even an 1800 calorie day while maintaining a 6 day a week low weight high rep workout, making sure to maintain 1g protein per lean body mass?

Currently I'm eating 3100 calories a day, and losing about a pound a week, but the doctor wants me to take phentermine and I'm wondering if significantly reducing my calories will cause me to lose all the small gains I've had in the last month?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I've read a ton of posts and I just want to more or less re-iterate what I've read and get confirmation that I'm not stupid and it makes sense lol...

You can maintain muscle at a calorie deficit, even a drastic one, so long as you didn't have a lot of bulk to begin with, a newbie like me with a simple low weight, high rep workout...

Taking Phentermine will make a lower calorie diet easier to handle as you don't feel the need to constantly stuff your face... Which honestly on a really high protein diet like this should be easy anyway.

So, I can get away with a 1500 calorie or even an 1800 calorie day while maintaining a 6 day a week low weight high rep workout, making sure to maintain 1g protein per lean body mass?

Currently I'm eating 3100 calories a day, and losing about a pound a week, but the doctor wants me to take phentermine and I'm wondering if significantly reducing my calories will cause me to lose all the small gains I've had in the last month?

I can't speak much on the muscle mass, but it sounds like you don't want to take the phentermine, because, as you said, you are on a high protein diet which (I'm assuming) will keep you full. I just googled phentermine and it seems like it is a non-prescribed diet pill. If you don't want to take it, and your doctor doesn't have any compelling reasons for you to take it, don't take it imo.

That being said, I don't think it is necessary for you to go down to 1500 a day. I lose weight on 2000 a day - I'm 200 pound 5'7" woman. Stick to losing weight in a slow and steady way, don't try and rush it.
  • drwaddy
    Options
    The doctor suggested it, drug me into some like office seminar with this whole booklet and diary etc... I tried to tell them like 15 times I'm already doing work, but I'm sure they see 100 of me a day who aren't doing that...

My question really, was can I take the phentermine and not lose the little muscle I've made. Calories really aren't a big deal for me, I struggle to eat my 3100 a day sometimes cause I was told to eat everything I can but don't go over.

Now I'm hearing you can have a reduced calorie diet and still maintain your muscles, phentermine would just help with that, so I'm trying to decide if I should get on board or tell the doc to stuff it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, you will likely have pretty reasonable amounts of muscle.

Most people I know (of either sex) would struggle to do squats with 140lb. You do that every time you stand up ! (Well, not quite the same, but you get the idea.)

Has your doctor explained why the quicker weight loss?

If it looks like 1lb a week is working for you and you don't mind the long haul and it DOES work - remembering this around three years of dedication to under-eating - then on the surface, I don't see any reason to deviate from that.

The more you've got to lose, however, the more you CAN lose with out the worry of muscle loss.

I recently lost 2lb a week for 20 weeks. I did have some noticable strength loss - 10% or so initially, then another 10% on the squats when I did an ultra marathon. I've regained that 10% from the ultra now, but not the rest yet - however, I'm only JUST into a surplus (two days) from slowly upping my calories and I reckon I stopped in the low teens body fat.

Low weight and high rep workouts are about endurance - more towards a cardio workout. I expect you'll do better maintaining muscle with high weight and low rep workout.
  • drwaddy
    Options
    Well it may be a case of wanting my cake and eating it too... I want to do the low weight high rep workout, it makes me feel good, probably because of the hormone release and it makes me sweat and pant like crazy, something I could only match on a bike cause I can't run at my size. I just don't want to lose muscle.

I'm 390 lbs so yes I am lifting at least 140 maybe more every time I get up, and I do the following workout, which means I'm doing 90 reps of that every tue - thur - sat...

I lift for 1 hour a day, 6 days a week, and here is my circuit:

Monday - Wednesday - Friday:

Bicep Curl = 90 Reps at 50lbs
    Back Extension = 90 Reps at 170lbs
    Calf Raises = 90 Reps at 230lbs
    Pull Downs = 90 Reps at 90lbs
    Row = 90 Reps at 90lbs
    Ab Press = 90 Reps at 130lbs

Tuesday - Thursday - Saturday:

Tricep Extensions = 90 Reps at 50lbs
    Hamstring Curls = 90 Reps at 110lbs
    Fly = 90 Reps at 90lbs
    Delts = 90 Reps at 50lbs
    Squats = 90 Reps at 390lbs
    Overhead Press = 90 Reps at 20lbs
    Chest Press = 90 Reps at 50lbs

All of the reps are in 15 rep sets 3 sets per machine in a loop of 6 machines on the m - w - f and 7 on t - th - sa and I repeat that after I finish 1 circuit.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Phentermine works for about a month then your body adjusts to it.
  • midnight_mariposa
    midnight_mariposa Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctorologist or anything, but I've lost weight, taken phentermine, and lift weights. The only thing phentermine should do is reduce your appetite and provide a slight boost to your metabolism. If you're having a difficult time keeping your calories at a deficit, phenetermine can (temporarily) help. If you're not having a difficult time in that area, phenetermine doesn't really have anything to offer.

If you're losing weight on 3100 calories a day with workouts 6 days a week, I think that's awesome. But I question what the purpose of dropping that to 1600 calories or 1800 calories would be. If you're losing a pound a week, you should already be at about a 500 calorie deficit each day. If my math is correct, switching to a diet of 1800 calories per day, and maintaining the same workout routine, would put you at a total weekly deficit of 12600 calories. So roughly 3.6 lbs of weight loss each week. This is just my opinion, but I don't think that's healthy at all.

With everything I've read about maintaining muscle mass in a caloric deficit, I don't think it's an issue provided you strength train and eat adequate protein. You might build new muscle during that newbie phase where your body can build the muscle as it breaks down the fat, but that's sort of a hotly debated topic and not everyone thinks its possible. But maintenance? I don't think there are any issues there provided the previously mentioned conditions are met.

Did the doctor suggest the 1600-1800 calorie a day diet? Or simply say, "Hey, take this pill. It's awesome!" and try to sell you on a program? If you're happy with what you're already doing, you're healthy, you're seeing results, why would you want to mess with that? Just because the doctor suggests it doesn't mean you have to do it.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Why change what is working by adding a pill? Doctor Schmoctor, he must be benefitting from the sale or something. Honestly, if what you are doing is getting you a lb a week, just keep doing that!
  • drwaddy
    Options
    Precisely what I wanted to hear folks, thanks! I'll tell the doc to shove his pills, and keep winning on my own.
  • midnight_mariposa
    Options
    Well it may be a case of wanting my cake and eating it too... I want to do the low weight high rep workout, it makes me feel good, probably because of the hormone release and it makes me sweat and pant like crazy, something I could only match on a bike cause I can't run at my size. I just don't want to lose muscle.

I'm 390 lbs so yes I am lifting at least 140 maybe more every time I get up, and I do the following workout, which means I'm doing 90 reps of that every tue - thur - sat...

Row = 90 Reps at 90lbs

Fly = 90 Reps at 90lbs
    Delts = 90 Reps at 50lbs

All of the reps are in 15 rep sets 3 sets per machine in a loop of 6 machines on the m - w - f and 7 on t - th - sa and I repeat that after I finish 1 circuit.

I'm not an expert, personal trainer, or anything like that! But... some thoughts to consider and maybe others with more knowledge can chime in:

1) Everything I've read suggests that doing that many reps isn't necessarily productive. How did you settle on 15 as the number? What about doing 5 sets of 5 reps?

2) Is your workout always the same? Do you ever increase the weight? You have to increase the weight you're lifting if you want to progress and be able to lift more. So if you do 50 lb bicep curls one day, but the next time try to do 55 lbs, then 60 lbs, etc.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Precisely what I wanted to hear folks, thanks! I'll tell the doc to shove his pills, and keep winning on my own.

Excellent choice! You will be better off in the end!
  • midnight_mariposa
    Options

Sounds like a plan! Unless the doctor has more compelling reasons for why you need to alter your program, why change what works for you?
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Yes, you'll be better off without the pills.

It sounds like you're on the right track anyhow.

I'm not an expert, but I am not sure on the low weight high rep thing. I've actually heard the opposite.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Sounds like you're doing an outstanding job on you own without the drugs. I'm not keen on ingesting any substance that has the word fatal in possible side effects. If your doc wants you to lose more quickly maybe drop down to 2,600 cal per day.
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Keep your weight training up, while keeping your protein at the same amount.

Adding in the phentramine WILL help you accelerate your metabolism and help shed the pounds faster.

If you notice your strength going down in the gym, up your protein.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Have you tried printing out the MFP logs and bringing them in with you?
  • GoPhil04
    Options
    FYI people phentramine is pharmaceutical grade ephedrine.

Its one of the most COMMONLY prescribed substance for weight loss.

YOU shouldnt change your calorie level at all....
  • GoPhil04
    Options
    Have you tried printing out the MFP logs and bringing them in with you?

Wouldnt really have a benefit... Its a doctor like a GP, not a dietitian right?
  • drwaddy
    Options

Row = 90 Reps at 90lbs

Fly = 90 Reps at 90lbs
    Delts = 90 Reps at 50lbs

I'm not an expert, personal trainer, or anything like that! But... some thoughts to consider and maybe others with more knowledge can chime in:

1) Everything I've read suggests that doing that many reps isn't necessarily productive. How did you settle on 15 as the number? What about doing 5 sets of 5 reps?

2) Is your workout always the same? Do you ever increase the weight? You have to increase the weight you're lifting if you want to progress and be able to lift more. So if you do 50 lb bicep curls one day, but the next time try to do 55 lbs, then 60 lbs, etc.

No, that's the weight I started with and I haven't increased it since. The point was the maintain or even build a small amount of newbie muscle while burning as much calories as possible. I would do it over a bike any day. The high reps with the relatively low weight, I could easily curl way more, was just designed to make me sweat and get my heart rate up for an extended period of time. The weight if anything has been a little harder to lift as I continue, but I think that's just due to fatigue with how often I'm lifting. Most days I feel SO good after going to the gym.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    FYI people phentramine is pharmaceutical grade ephedrine.

Its one of the most COMMONLY prescribed substance for weight loss.

YOU shouldnt change your calorie level at all....

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what it is, however, if the OP doesn't want to take it, then he shouldn't take it.

Plus, it's not a sustainable plan. You have to stop taking the pill at some point. Most MD's only prescribe for 3 months due to the fact it can cause liver damage. So it's better to make lifestyle changes that you can sustain the rest of your life.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Did you ask your doctor why he recommended phentermine? Obviously I don't know, but I'd guess he's coming from a place of concern for you, and he probably does see a lot of people who say they're doing the work but never do. In that case, I'd ask to try it your way for a month or two, then reevaluate. Let him know that you appreciate the seriousness of the situation and would rather have X amount of time to work on it yourself before you consider medication. That may be enough to address his concerns and let him know that you're serious about making changes.

You're losing a pound a week, pretty consistently, at 3100, right? It would probably be okay to cut another 250-500 from that for a month and see how you do with that. I wouldn't go to 1600-1800, though! Cutting your intake almost in half sounds a little insane, to be honest, and it sounds like a setup for burnout.