Becoming a personal trainer

Options
I have always been interested in becoming a personal trainer. When I search for information about it online there are many options but I just don't know exactly what type of certification is good enough. Where is the best place to go?

Replies

• Krys1490
    Krys1490 Posts: 5
    Options
    What is your background? Some cert programs require a degree like a BS, and some do not. I have my cert through ACE since my college degree (from1985!!) was a BA.

Where do you want to work? This will also play a part in who you chose to get certified through.
  • swaser0816
    swaser0816 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have my BS and Masters in Early Education. I don't really care where I work I just want to help people.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Since you have all the Gen Ed done you could easily take the classes in Exercise Science or such.

ACE has a train the trainer program that is alright for general help, but the degree would be of better value, imho.If it is what you want to do for a living, invest the time. My first degree was Exercise Science, trying to work towards Physical Therapy. I also completed the ACE cert and NATA. I was working on my ACSM, but moved on from training.

Best of luck.
  • Krys1490
    Krys1490 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, I agree. If this is something you want to do as a career, the degree would be best. My work in fitness is my part time work, because I enjoy it so much. I primarily teach group fitness and I am certified to teach SPIN, TRX and MOSSA Group Power. The ACE certification was a a way to help me be better informed to help the people who take my classes.
  • nhess560
    nhess560 Posts: 1
    Options
    Okay. I'm in Southern California. I'm studying to be an ACE Certified PT. You REALLY DON'T need a degree unless you want to. I know literally 12 PTs personally, they got certified, did CE (continuing education) which you have to do anyway as an ACE Certified PT, and only 1 holds a degree. It's not a bad idea but you can be a great PT without all that. Go to their website. They explain it all.