How much protein can the body use?

Options
I read somewhere around the internet once or twice that if your body only absorbs/uses a certain amount of protein per meal. So, for example, 30g might be your max so if you eat 50g, that extra 20g is a waste of your time.

Is this fact or fiction?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    It is fact! Since your body can only absorb a certain amount at a time if you eat more than it needs it will use the extra protein and convert it into something else it requires
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    It is fact! Since your body can only absorb a certain amount at a time if you eat more than it needs it will use the extra protein and convert it into something else it requires

Nope

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Am not suggesting that the max one can consume is 20-30g in one shot but logically it would take a lot longer for them to process say 50g+ in an entire meal, and if not used to repair/fuel the muscle will be converted to other energy to support other body systems
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    It uses what it's provided. It's been recently challenged that the 20-30g absorption per sitting was proven inaccurate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This argument is used to justify the higher prices of casein since it is a "slower absorbing" protein than whey protein. I don't know what to believe anymore.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    This argument is used to justify the higher prices of casein since it is a "slower absorbing" protein than whey protein. I don't know what to believe anymore.

I am skeptical of everything I read and don't have the patience to sift through research to determine anything. So I believe the people here who seem science-minded enough to do that research.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Nope

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Thanks! The simple logic in the beginning was definitely simple. And I had forgotten that there are people who eat 1 meal a day and don't have protein deficiency issues.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    rubbish promoted by the supplement companies to convice you to buy their products, any excess protein you consume gets converted to carbs via gluconeogenesis
  • gonefishin1282
    gonefishin1282 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to consume your body weight x .82 in grams of protein. I am 255lbs and on average I consume 240-270g of protein daily.