7.32 calories, is that right please help

Options
hi ya , well i wen tout this morning and got my self a petometere untill i get hold of a hrm , i sorted it all out and hat and i have just spent the past hour cleaning the house pretty heavy cleaning too and it sayd i only burnt of 7.32 cal,

does that sound a bout right i am really upset if it is as an hour of cleaning on mfp is so so much more than that i mean like ur talking about 200 at least grrrr

no wounder i am feeling like i aint lost this week
xxx
any help or advice will really help thank you xx

Replies

• Sharonbed4d
    Options
    A pedometer is only measuring how many steps you take, not how hard your heart is working.
  • emkam11
    emkam11 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    oh right ok so it only works it on the steps grrr, so its not really anygood to work out my calories atr all then hun,

so its better for when i go out walking???
    x
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    Pedometers are usually used to measure steps taken. I think there are some that calculate calories burned too, but they (like MFP are just an estimate). The goal for health is to walk 10,000 steps a day. Try wearing from the time you step out of bed in the morning until you go to bed to get a baseline for how much you move - you'd be surprised. We did a challenge at work to get people moving to 10,000 steps. The first week, the average person moved 2,000 steps!!! That's crazy.

Pedometers are good for what they are designed, but I wouldn't use it to judge calories burned. When you were cleaning, you probably were in the same spots for long periods of time, using your upper body instead of your lower so the pedometer won't register.
  • emkam11
    Options
    thank you , i feel such a plonker now i really do , i am so sorry lol,

i will put it downt to the fact i have got a chest infectiona nd that i am blonde lol x
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    HI, MY NAME IS PAMMY. I WEAR AN OMRON, I LUV MINE! LIKE FORD SAID, PERDOMETERS ARE EXSTREMELY USEFUL DURING WORK OUTS,USING GLIDERS, TREADMILLS, WALKING .... AS FOR CALORIES BURNED FOR HOUSEWORK, WASHING YOUR CAR, USE MFP'S CALORIE BURNED CACULATER! MOWING, RAKING, IS GOOD WITH THE PERDOMETER... I LOOKED AT A LOT OF DIFFERENT MODELS TOO.... PERDOMETERS WITH A SPRING DO NOT WORK VERY WELL EITHER.... OMRON.COM IS VERY ACCURATE... EASY 2 USE!! I WORK 2-10 PM, I ADVERAGE APPROX 10,000-12,000+ STEPS, & 300+ - 600+ CALORIES BURNED AT WORK!!!! GL! PAMMY......:wink:
  • sharonuk10
    Options
    HI, MY NAME IS PAMMY. I WEAR AN OMRON, I LUV MINE! LIKE FORD SAID, PERDOMETERS ARE EXSTREMELY USEFUL DURING WORK OUTS,USING GLIDERS, TREADMILLS, WALKING .... AS FOR CALORIES BURNED FOR HOUSEWORK, WASHING YOUR CAR, USE MFP'S CALORIE BURNED CACULATER! MOWING, RAKING, IS GOOD WITH THE PERDOMETER... I LOOKED AT A LOT OF DIFFERENT MODELS TOO.... PERDOMETERS WITH A SPRING DO NOT WORK VERY WELL EITHER.... OMRON.COM IS VERY ACCURATE... EASY 2 USE!! I WORK 2-10 PM, I ADVERAGE APPROX 10,000-12,000+ STEPS, & 300+ - 600+ CALORIES BURNED AT WORK!!!! GL! PAMMY......:wink:

Sorry to be a cranky about this.. But it is so hard to read your posts when they are all in caps.
  • emkam11
    Options

thank you pammy very much for this its been a great help , i think i am just gonna have to get a hrm tobe honest ,
    just got to find the right one thats not to expencive atm ,
    x