So called important questions...

Options
I've seen many posts here. As to be expected there are questions regarding calorie intake, having your family participate in your life changes, weight loss, exercise and so on...

But i just read a post asking about spanking children. Seriously?

This is a weight loss and nutrition site. It is not a parenting or child abuse site. These types of posts have no place here especially entitled everyone please read or important questions or any such thing.

I find it inappropriate to post things that have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, nutrition, or exercise here. There are a great many sites that deal with a great many things. This is a site to discuss nutrition, weight loss, exercise and such things. Other topics have no place here.

We do not sign on to discuss spanking children or what color to dye your hair or should you go green or whatever...

I understand I am venting, but am I completely wrong?

Replies

• ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I personally don't mind it. There's a chit-chat/game section and I don't think it's restricted to just diet and weight loss tips. There are separate sections for those.
  • christina1109
    Options
    Erin's right, there are forum spots for any other topic than those dealing with weightloss, nutrition and diet. If you don't like them, then don't read them. The woman who posted, did post in the wrong spot for such an issue, I will give you that, and should have titled her post with something that was related to the topic of her post.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree, I don't belive this site is the proper place, and even thought there is a chit chat section, it wasn't posted there.
  • CHANGES4ME
    CHANGES4ME Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I AM SORRY, I WAS JUS TRYIN 2 SEE WHAT OTHER PARENTS DO, HOW THEY FEEL... I LIKE 2 THINK THAT MFP'S ARE FRIENDS, & U CAN ASK ANYTHING... I WAS JUS WONDERING.... SORRY!!!
  • sweetg1222
    Options
    Yes I think you are wrong!! This is a site for weight loss yes but also for support, friendships, and motivation!!! I think it is ok that people ask those questions becasue they might not have any other support system to fall back on.......i am here to support everyone and not only for losing weight!!!
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I only found the post to show very BAD netiquette. Typing a post in all caps is completely unnecessary. I didn't read more than a few lines before moving on. I have a few pet peeves with this site, but don't need to air them out here.
  • sweetg1222
    Options
    I AM SORRY, I WAS JUS TRYIN 2 SEE WHAT OTHER PARENTS DO, HOW THEY FEEL... I LIKE 2 THINK THAT MFP'S ARE FRIENDS, & U CAN ASK ANYTHING... I WAS JUS WONDERING.... SORRY!!!

You do not need to be sorry......I am here to support you and all of my MFP friends on everything!! I know i have asked questions in the past on this site that have not been fitness related......you are by no means alone!!!
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options

No need to be sorry hun.....add me as a friend, then you can post your questions like this on my wall and i will answer you......I feel this is a place to come for support, no matter what it be, and if you want to type in all caps, then so be it! look forward to more posts from you!
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I see that the majority opinion is that I am wrong to assume that it was inappropriate to post parenting questions here.

I do not understand or agree but i apologize if my misunderstandings have offended anyone. It was not my intention.
  • sullydog101
    sullydog101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I only found the post to show very BAD netiquette. Typing a post in all caps is completely unnecessary. I didn't read more than a few lines before moving on. I have a few pet peeves with this site, but don't need to air them out here.

I completely agree. Typing in all CAPS with abbreviations and whatnot is painful to read.

As for the topic, I didn't have a problem with that.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    No one is making you read the post...

Unless....they are?????:laugh:
  • JustAmy
    JustAmy Posts: 291
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    ALL CAPS = a no,no

As for topic, there are a lot of topics that I don't read and some I read and don't comment on.

I do believe, however, that MFP is a place where people making lifestyle changes come for support. A weight problem is symptom of another problem, whether its physical health or mental health or emotional health. These underlying issues have to have a place to air and be discussed.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Nobody makes you read the post, sure. But if you want an answer to your question, it generally helps to post in the proper place without your caps lock key turned on. I don't take anybody seriously who shows significant grammar and netiquette problems. That's just me.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Ok, caps bug me too, but we're supposed to be supportive here. Yes, I was a little wary when I started to read it and the title was slightly misleading, but sometimes you just need someone to help you. I have recently moved to another country and am having trouble making friends here (trust issues, but that's not why we're here) so the only person I have to give me advice is my husband. Now, while he's more than happy to do so, if he were the problem, I would definitely whine to one of my MFP pals about it and ask her what to do.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options

Nobody makes you read the post, sure. But if you want an answer to your question, it generally helps to post in the proper place without your caps lock key turned on. I don't take anybody seriously who shows significant grammar and netiquette problems. That's just me.

I am the same way, but I think that just makes me a snob! :)
  • I've seen many posts here. As to be expected there are questions regarding calorie intake, having your family participate in your life changes, weight loss, exercise and so on...

This is a weight loss and nutrition site. It is not a parenting or child abuse site. These types of posts have no place here especially entitled everyone please read or important questions or any such thing.

I find it inappropriate to post things that have absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, nutrition, or exercise here. There are a great many sites that deal with a great many things. This is a site to discuss nutrition, weight loss, exercise and such things. Other topics have no place here.

We do not sign on to discuss spanking children or what color to dye your hair or should you go green or whatever...

I wish you'd made this a blog instead because I'm quite sure that it would be the first blog on MFP to get votes in the hundreds ... Of course they would all be thumbs down votes. I enjoy the personal contact with my friends, and of the 180 or so that I have ... I think I'm pretty safe in saying that I've had conversations or responded to Forum posts that had nothing to do with fitness ... As you state. However, You are wrong because I, and most (if not all), my friends know that we are in the middle of a Life Change ... Not an arbitrary diet plan. There are thousands of online sites where you can track your eating habits and your exercise .... MFP is one of the few that acknowledges the concept that fitness, and overcoming old habits that have put us all in this mess, rarely center around what things we are shoving in our mouths. Anyway ... Rambling about the good points of MFP won't change your mind so all I can suggest is that you try a different site that better meets your needs and desires.
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I see you agree with the majority. I still do not but I respect you opinion. I do however like your idea. it would have been better to place this in a blog. I should have done that. i like the way you stated your argument. It was original and impressive even if it does not change my mind. thank you for putting it in a way that makes me see it from another angle.
  • VegasJellyFish
    VegasJellyFish Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with the OP. This is not a place for those types of questions. If you want answers to those types of questions put it in your blog or go to cafemom.com and ask them. It is hard enough reading everything on the site without having to go through topics that don't have anything to do with fitness.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've seen many posts here. As to be expected there are questions regarding calorie intake, having your family participate in your life changes, weight loss, exercise and so on...

HMMM i have to say i agree when i saw the post i thought oo this could be an interesting question about weight losss and nutrition. I think it is inappropriate. I mean I am all about the love and support but this could have been sent to a private message as opposed to a general post . That way this person can get support without upsetting others. :smile: