"Healthy" Food

Options
What foods that people say are healthy but actually causes you to gain weight??

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    What foods that people say are healthy but actually causes you to gain weight??

No foods can actually cause you to gain weight, yet All foods can cause you to gain weight....if you eat too much of them!

That's why I am here right now, I ate too much, of, well everything.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Eat enough of any food and you will gain weight. That is obviously more difficult with broccoli than peanut butter but you get the point. Your body needs a variety of macro and micro nutrients to function efficiently and cutting out foods completely from your diet makes hitting those needs more difficult.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Nut
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    If I understand the question rightly, I would restate it this way: What foods are there that many people consider to be "healthy" or "diet friendly" that are calorie dense? Because, to be clear, foods by themselves are not healthy or unhealthy, and foods taken out of the context of a person's diet and lifestyle do not make one lose or gain weight.

There are certain foods that are higher in calories than many people might expect. My golden example is trail mix. I'd think most people could pack away a cup or 2 of trail mix without thinking about it. But trail mix is intentionally designed to be high in calories and low in volume and weight so that it can be used as food while hiking.

So trail mix can cause you to gain weight if you eat a lot of it. But I'm doing a lot of backcountry backpacking this year. Trail mix is essential because it is easy to carry and has a lot of calories and nutrients that I need when carrying a heavy pack. So for me trail mix is a very healthy choice in that situation.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Over eating any food will cause you to gain weight.. but foods that are considered healthy but have a lot more calories then you think are avocado, nuts, granola and some breads. Shakes often pack a calorie punch too depending on whats in them.