Introducing ME! Dieting like mad b4 GASTRIC SURGERY

Options
2»

Replies

• CatJF1968
    CatJF1968 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There can be side effects for the surgery. My wife has to have iron infusions every 6 months at the cancer institute because of hers.

But for your knees sake, good luck.

OMG really? That's AWFUL. That would probably happen to me, I get anaemic alot.
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Catherine,

I wish you the best of luck on your Journey, I had the gastric band surgery in April 2012 and it was the best decision I've made. I also had a large weight loss prior to the surgery - so much so the Surgeon in our pre-op meeting specifically asked that if I was so successful without the surgery, do I really want to have (I had lost 71 pounds prior to the surgery). For me, knowing that it was there and that I can not slide back into bad habits is the kick in the *kitten* I needed.

David

Hello David,

Thanks very much. What kind of surgery did you have? I know there are 4 or 5 types.

I'm glad it worked out for you and well done on your achievement :)

Catherine
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck with the weight loss, and the surgery if you decide to go ahead.

Thanks everso much x
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    By the way, I'm bigger than in the pic!!! That was 2011. When you get to my size you're not very photogenic! Or maybe that's my own view.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Why don't you carry on losing the weight through diet instead of surgery.

You are doing really well and your illnesses will get better the more you lose without all the side affects of gastric surgery?

This is what I wonder too. So many people have to lose weight before surgery. During this time, they're proving to themselves and everyone else they can do it on their own without surgery, so ultimately, why get surgery unless there's a pressing medical reason? I don't get it. To each his or her own.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I'm Catherine. Let me tell you a bit about myself and my journey...

I'm attending an NHS Weight Management Program (started Nov 2013 and ongoing until Nov 2014). I am on the pathway to receiving gastric bypass surgery early next year. The purpose of the program is to guide and educate a healthier way to eat alongside all the psychological changes that need to be made, to enable the weight to stay off.

My reasons for losing this weight are for a better quality of life. I suffer from the following (weight-related) conditions:
    Osteoarthritis of the knees, torn meniscus, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes; and I'm on medication for them all, plus awaiting a knee op!

I started out at 20 stone 10 lbs (Oct 13) and I now weigh 19 stone 4 lbs (as of 15th May 2014).

My own personal target is to lose this weight as soon as possible (I'm in a LOT of pain!) and to lose it BEFORE the gastric surgery. I know I can do it.

I hope to be able to find some support in this community and maybe make some friends along the way. :)

Thanks for reading,

Catherine
    Obviously, you need to get the weight off in whatever way you can...and I won't judge you no matter what you end up doing. I think it is doable to lose the whole 50 lbs. before November, so I would just say give it your best shot. You may very well succeed, and then you won't need surgery.

Regards.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options

You are doing really well and your illnesses will get better the more you lose without all the side affects of gastric surgery?

This is what I wonder too. So many people have to lose weight before surgery. During this time, they're proving to themselves and everyone else they can do it on their own without surgery, so ultimately, why get surgery unless there's a pressing medical reason? I don't get it. To each his or her own.
    The reason for the diet is probably not just to prep for surgery, I would bet a lot of them do lose enough to avoid the surgery altogether, that diet time is giving them a shot at it.
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric band - I felt that was the best choice for me.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming it's low impact so would be good for exercise without damaging your knee?
  • newkate1234
    newkate1234 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Catherine

Welcome to the group. I feel your pain, literally. I am a fellow sufferer of osteoarthritis and it's the pits. I had an accident about 18 months ago and injured my hips and knees. Still recovering so hoping that the weight loss will ease the pain a bit.
    It's a pity you have to wait so long before your surgery but it will be worth it.
    I take it that you are in the UK if you are having the op on NHS. I still have family there in the midlands.
    I do wish you well and hope that the hard work pays off.
    Warm regards
    Kate
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I can't speak for everyone, but before my lap band surgery, I lost and gained the same 30-40 lbs over and over again. When I decided on surgery I was 120 lbs overweight and I was terrified.

I just posted this the other day:

I had lap band surgery two years ago and I'm happy to share my experience. Keep in mind that everyone is different, though, and surgery may not be the best route for your sister.

I tried many diets over the years, including severe calorie restriction, weight watchers, and Meridia. They all worked to a point, but eventually the weight always came back plus more. Eventually I realized my overeating had little to do with my love of good food. I still love good food. I'm a pretty good cook and I love going to good restaurants. I've never been a junk food junkie. My overeating was directly related to depression. I was on antidepressants for years, but was still unable to control the emotional overeating. Finally, I started to understand that I needed to learn new coping mechanisms to deal with stress, depression, life, that didn't involve food. I've been working with a therapist who specializes in eating disorders for over two years now, and I've made great progress.

NONE of this is thanks to my bariatric surgeon. He's a nice guy, but he's a surgeon, not a therapist. The reason I decided to go with the surgery...well, several reasons, and they're complicated. I had tried and failed so many times before, I didn't think I could face failing again. I was terrified of trying and failing, and my weight kept going up. I was fortunate not to have any other health issues, largely because of my active lifestyle and the fact that I never ate much junk (and genetics), but I knew it was just a matter of time before the weight would catch up to me. When I finally sat down and face reality I was about 120 lbs overweight and the thought of losing all that with no help was just so daunting I wanted to give up completely. If not for my kids, I might have ended it all at that point. How in the world do you lose 120 lbs???? It was just too much...I couldn't face it. My husband is a physician and read up on the medical literature, and weight loss surgery has a great success rate. Yes, people can and do re-gain weight after surgery. Everyone knows someone who has. But a meta analysis of the literature shows that *statistically* it's more successful than any other method of weight loss.

I decided on the lap band vs gastric bypass or sleeve or the other methods because it's the least invasive and can be reversed. My band is pretty loose these days, so I can *almost* eat like "normal." The other surgeries can cause malabsorption issues and you can't drink alcohol or sweets, and I wasn't about to give up any one type of food (or wine!). For six months to a year leading up to the surgery, I had to undergo a whole battery of tests (cardiac ultrasound, endoscopy, blood work, sleep study...can't remember what else) to make sure I was healthy enough to take the surgery. I was also required to lose a certain amount of weight (10% of my weight I think...can't remember now) to prove that I could make healthy choices. I also had a fitness test, treadmill stress test...can't remember what else. Anyway, my point is, you can't decide one day to have the surgery and then go and do it the following week. They put you through so much, that you have plenty of time to think it through and educate yourself before you actually go through with it.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANT, I would not have had the success I've had if not for my therapist and a LOT of hard work on my mental and emotional relationship to food. I'm happy to say I've been off antidepressants since last summer and I "manage" my depression with exercise.

I still want to lose a lot more weight, but I can honestly say that I've reached my "goal" of having a healthy relationship with food and I'm no longer terrified of failing.

That's my story. smile
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    ***THANK YOU ALL FOR THE LOVELY WELCOME*** I will reply to some of the posts later today as I have to go out now. I've just created a PROFILE. Enjoy the read. Catch up with you later X
  • CatJF1968
    Options
    Have you tried swimming it's low impact so would be good for exercise without damaging your knee?

I'm too conscious about my size, but apart from that I am clumsy and fear slipping on the wet tiles.
  • HotMessPrincess
    HotMessPrincess Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Achieving weight loss with or without surgery is a difficult and daunting task that requires sacrifice and discipline - and I wish you the best of luck whichever road you choose. I don't spend a lot of time on these forums, so I was a little surprised by the judgy crap.

You have to do what works for you...and surgery is just another tool in the tool box. Big hugs to you!!