Having digestive problems from healthy eating

Options
HanaThorne
HanaThorne Posts: 14 Member
Hello all :)

For you to know about me and my food habits and problems, please read my introductory post (if you haven't already) here -> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1285363-wish-me-luck :)

If you want to know what I eat and how much, my food diary is open, although I don't know if it will be of any help - most of the food is custom made by me to better coordinate with what I have and buy in my country and what I cook at home, as well the way I prepare it. My calorie goal (losing 0.75kg or 1.5lbs per week) according to MFP equals an intake of 1550 calories per day and I mostly adhere to it (or go 100-200 hundred cals below, but never below 1300). I haven't started working out yet but will soon take up on capoeira (been on a few work shop and introductory classes and it's awesome) so there's that. So far I've lost around 2.5lbs and I'm fine with that.

In any case, I'm entering week three of my personal "revolution", and I'm having some serious digestive problems throughout. I wrote a bit about my very bad dietary habits and how I'm trying to eat healthier by introducing fruits and vegetables (mostly veggies) in my diet. On an average lunch, I have soup (no noodles, just the water), rice or mashed/boiled potatoes and some kind of cooked vegetables on the side (at least 3-4 days a week as a start) a, piece of meat (usually chicken) and a bowl lettuce (I became a huge fan of lettuce!). While it all tastes amazing while eating, usually within an hour it will almost entirely go down the toilet - I start having cramps and diarrhea and am hungry again after a few hours, like I didn't have anything to eat at all. I already wrote about sometimes having some serious stomach pains when eating fruits and some vegetables (mostly green beans). I'm guessing that it's because I'm having a lot more of fiber intake than before and that's why my digestion is a lot faster and my stool more.. well, you know. Softer? (sorry if it's TMI!) Today I had soup, rice with carrots, a pork chop and lettuce. I ate an hour and a half ago and I've already been to the bathroom four or five times. See what I mean?

Now, I know I can eat whatever I like since this is a lifestyle change and not a diet. The reason I don't want to eat some of the stuff I used to eat tons of is because a) I'm sick of that junk after eating it for 25 years and d) because if I start, I don't know when to stop. That's why I stick to eat as much healthy stuff I can, and I even started to like that kind of food :D Of couse, I indulge myself now and then, but very very little because of a) and b).

So, any ideas why am I constantly having diarrhea and/or stomach ache after eating yummy veggies and what can I do about it? It's a waste of very tasty and healthy food (yes, I'm a good cook xD) I'm a normal, otherwise healthy person, with no food allergies that I know of.

Thanks in advance, you guys are really great - I've been reading a lot of your posts these days :)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Maybe IBS? May need to consider FODMAP diet. But really you should see your doctor get your gut and bowel checked out...sounds like a lot of irritation or inflammation going on...you may need to restrict certain fruit and vegetables if it is indeed them causing the issues.
  • HanaThorne
    HanaThorne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for your answer. I'm not sure that it's IBS because I'm not having these problems all the time, only after I eat certain types of food -> i.e. green beans (and it seems like carrots, too? weird.). For instance, I've never had a reaction after eating broccoli, zucchini, tomatoes or salad. The more I read around the more I think that it may be some kind of vegetable intolerance.

http://www.hemocode.com/wiki/Vegetables-Intolerance
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/367678-do-vegetables-cause-diarrhea/

I will definitely go to a doctor if the problem persists, although that's a bit tricky where I live (health insurance stuff), also I'm in the process of changing my primary physician due to confidentiality binds breaking on her part. For now I'll just avoid the vegetables I had a reaction from and see if it gets any better and trying them again at a later point. Also, I think I may need to follow a low-fiber diet just to be on the safe side - at least for a while :) That sucks, because I used to eat them when I tried losing weight before and I never had problems and they are also very fulfilling and tasty - for instance I just love the combination of rice and cooked carrots.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has another opinion, please feel free to share!
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've always had a lot of issues with my digestive tract. As much as it stinks (pun intended) it really is trial and error. You mention eating a lot more lettuce, and certain types of lettuce, and maybe its how its cleaned or something, but lettuce upsets me sometimes too. Best of luck.