Baked Mango Sriracha Cauliflower Wings

Options
climbing_trees
climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
EDIT: THIS RECIPE CONTAINS NO MEAT
IT IS A VEGAN RECIPE
Sorry for any confusion ^_^

If you aren't vegetarian or aren't fan of cauliflower substitution recipes, the glaze is delicious on its own.
I think it would taste great on fried chicken, baked chicken, fried cauliflower, whatever you like~

Mango+Sriracha+Cauliflower+wings+8700.JPG

I made these last night for my chicken wing loving roommate and I. They totally blew us away!
So simple, so healthy, and so incredibly delicious~
We ended up eating the entire batch, which came out to about ~350 calories per person.

http://www.veganricha.com/2014/01/baked-mango-sriracha-cauliflower-wings.html

Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast. Can be made oil-free, gluten-free with gf flour.
Serves 2-4 depending on hunger level

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower (mine was small-medium-ish size)

Batter:
1 cup water
3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp flour (I used half whole wheat + half white)
3/4-1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp each of garlic powder, onion powder
1/2 tsp each of smoked paprika, chili powder/cayenne
a very generous dash of black pepper
2 tsp oil (optional)

Mango Sriracha Glaze:
1 cup mango jam or preserves (or use orange marmalade or grape jelly for variations)
1/4 cup Sriracha sauce or to taste :)
1 Tbsp or more hot sauce or to taste (I used Frank's red hot)
1/4 cup Orange juice or apple juice (more juice if you like a thinner glaze)
a generous pinch of garlic powder
1/4 tsp ginger powder

Method:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Chop the cauliflower into 1.5-2 inch pieces. Mix everything under batter in a bowl until smooth and thick enough batter that can coat the cauliflower pieces well.(add more flour if needed). Dip cauliflower in the batter and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Line the sheet with parchment or grease very well. Bake for 20 minutes.

Glaze:
In a pan, mix all the ingredients under glaze and heat on medium. Taste and adjust spice, sweet and tang if needed(add sugar or vinegar for extra sweet or tang). You can also use fresh or frozen ripe mango puree + maple/sugar instead of preserves(as suggested by some readers who made these already). Once the glaze is hot, add the baked cauliflower to it. Toss well to coat carefully and let the glaze come to a boil and thicken. 2-3 minutes. You can use a large pan that can fit all the florets or do 2 batches. do not toss/move the florets too much. Serve hot as is, with rice/grains or with any creamy cool dips like ranch. Alternatively, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and pour over the baked cauliflower, toss to coat and serve.

Variations: Use grape jelly or Orange preserves. Add a 1/4 cup ketchup to the glaze.
Use Barbecue sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
To make buffalo wings, mix in enough hot sauce with melted vegan butter or oil (2:1 ratio) and toss the baked cauliflower in it, bake for a few minutes and serve.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, wouldn't frying a batter get it much more crispy? Baking battered items seems questionable
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I made these last night for my chicken wing loving roommate and I. They totally blew us away!
    We ended up eating the entire batch, which came out to about ~350 calories per person.

Allergen Information: Free of Dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast. Can be made oil-free, gluten-free with gf flour.

Ingredients:

Batter:
    1 cup water
    2 tsp oil (optional)

Mango Sriracha Glaze:
    1 cup mango jam or preserves (or use orange marmalade or grape jelly for variations)
    1/4 tsp ginger powder

Method:
    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Chop the cauliflower into 1.5-2 inch pieces. Mix everything under batter in a bowl until smooth and thick enough batter that can coat the cauliflower pieces well.(add more flour if needed). Dip cauliflower in the batter and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Line the sheet with parchment or grease very well. Bake for 20 minutes.

Glaze:
    In a pan, mix all the ingredients under glaze and heat on medium. Taste and adjust spice, sweet and tang if needed(add sugar or vinegar for extra sweet or tang). You can also use fresh or frozen ripe mango puree + maple/sugar instead of preserves(as suggested by some readers who made these already). Once the glaze is hot, add the baked cauliflower to it. Toss well to coat carefully and let the glaze come to a boil and thicken. 2-3 minutes. You can use a large pan that can fit all the florets or do 2 batches. do not toss/move the florets too much. Serve hot as is, with rice/grains or with any creamy cool dips like ranch. Alternatively, bring the sauce ingredients to a boil and pour over the baked cauliflower, toss to coat and serve.

Variations: Use grape jelly or Orange preserves. Add a 1/4 cup ketchup to the glaze.
    To make buffalo wings, mix in enough hot sauce with melted vegan butter or oil (2:1 ratio) and toss the baked cauliflower in it, bake for a few minutes and serve.

How much protein did they have? I prefer chicken over cauliflower but the glaze sounds good. I might have to try it on chicken.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Batter:
    1 cup water
    2 tsp oil (optional)

Mango Sriracha Glaze:
    1/4 tsp ginger powder

Method:

Glaze:

How much protein did they have? I prefer chicken over cauliflower but the glaze sounds good. I might have to try it on chicken.

Agreed, I've had some buffalo cauli "wings" and basically made me miss chicken even more. But the glaze does sound delish.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Not that much protein, this is a vegan recipe.

However, the glaze was INCREDIBLE. I think it would go great on real chicken wings, baked or fried. In fact, I think it would go good on just about anything. I had a bunch left over and I ate it with celery sticks.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No meat = not wings.

It's glazed cauliflower. No need to dance around it.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No meat = not wings.

YES!

Effin hate this damn cauliflower trend.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    No meat = not wings.

THIS. SInce when does cauliflower have wings?:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    bump ! for tasty business!
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Batter:
    1 cup water
    2 tsp oil (optional)

Mango Sriracha Glaze:
    1/4 tsp ginger powder

Method:

Glaze:

Thanks for posting! It looks wonderful. Yum!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    There's no chicken? Wings implies chicken. Cauliflower does not have wings. This glaze might be good on actual chicken wings though.

Here is a group you might like OP: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14234-omg-cauliflower-om-nom-nom-nom-nom
  • Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump bump!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    uk8Cf9l.gif
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but I am tempted to try this!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Looks good, but I would fry rather than bake.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Ingredients:

Batter:
    1 cup water
    2 tsp oil (optional)

Mango Sriracha Glaze:
    1/4 tsp ginger powder

Method:

Glaze:

THIS PLEASE.

This recipe doesnt fit in my macros. I see no protein and all carbs.... and if I am going to eat carbs i would rather have pizzza. I suggest you remove the title of Wings and use it on the recipe that contains chicken. You know, the most abundant animal on the planet that has wings and human beings eat. (so its pretty much assumed)

ETA: This is one of the better looking and tasty sounding cauliflower recipes I have seen. :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    This glaze sounds fantastic. I like spicy mango salsas. I've made a mango habanero glaze for chicken before. I'd be willing to try the glaze on chicken wings, legs, breast and even pork loin.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It looks good, but it also sounds like an awful lot of effort to make cauliflower into something it's not -- a chicken wing.
    I'd rather just have actual chicken wings with a side of steamed/boiled cauliflower or a cauliflower soup as a starter...
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I think a better title for this recipe would be: baked cauliflower with mango sriracha wing sauce.

Which sounds pretty good. Thanks
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    sorry, but since when do buffalos have wings?

i love this cauliflower trend! keep the great recipes coming universe!