Anyone not counting calories and still get fit?

Options
13»

Replies

• jasminecoco
    jasminecoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes, like everyone said, it's calories, although just focusing on nutrient dense foods might cause you to eat lower calories without thinking about it. I personally wouldn't stop counting, but you don't have that much to lose and know what your experience is. You might be someone who wants to focus more on recomposition at this point.

However, to the specific problem of not being able to exercise every day and going over your calories, it's an easier fix.

(1) Your calories are probably too low. You might have your goal at 2 or 1.5 lb/week, and that's really too aggressive for the total you want to lose. You probably want to be closer to maintenance and not risk losing any muscle, vs. fat.

(2) It might work better for you to focus on a weekly goal instead of a daily one, and then you can have the extra calories from exercise spread out throughout the week.

You can do this simply by estimating the amount you exercise in a week, dividing by 7, and then adding that to your daily calories and not logging the calorie count for your workouts subsequently (put in one calorie).

Or, to address both (1) and (2), check out the TDEE method, which basically cuts calories from your maintenance (including your average exercise and activity). There are lots of TDEE calculators (here's one that has a few different methods: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/) that you can find to estimate your maintenance (it's an estimate, of course), and then you can cut 10% from those. That will almost certainly give you a much higher calorie goal where you should still be losing weight, although you might have to adjust it a little.

The reason why I set 1250 calories is because I was expecting exorcises everyday and eating back all calories. I didn't mind going over calories limit at the beginning but it's been bothering me
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    I don't log anymore and have been maintaining both my weight and my fitness for over a year now. I did log when I was losing my initial weight as I had no clue what I needed in RE to calories and didn't know much about proper nutrition or what my body really needed either. I took those six months of logging and used them not only to lose weight, but to actually learn something about nutrition and how my body works and what my body needs at various activity levels and intensity of activity.

This has served me well in maintenance for a year now as I haven't had to log anything. I'm currently in a very small cut to try to get down to around 12-15% BF and am losing slowly without logging as well; I've lost about 3 Lbs in the past 6 weeks or so which is right on par with my goal of about 0.5 Lbs per week as a general trend.

Knowledge is power and calorie counting was an outstanding tool that I used to gain a high degree of knowledge about nutrition and how to properly fuel my body.

You sound very professional!
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    3008ays.jpg
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    For short and sedentary, an apple counts. A couple of pieces of fruit can take you close to 200 cals, depending on the fruit.

If you're young and active, you can probably learn what is appropriate to eat in a day for you.

I know what 1250 looks like and can eye it. It's not a lot. I find I need to log my food though, just to keep me motivated and on track.

If you're asking whether or not eating healthy means you can eat what you want, the answer is no, not really. Calories do count. But you could try eating what you want and see what that does to the scale and your measurements. Do an experiment. Let us know how is works out, if you do.

When I get back to maintenance, I plan to try an experiment on myself. I'll allow to myself to eat whatever healthy unprocessed foods I want. I recently gained when I added chocolate chips and doritos to my otherwise very healthy diet. I lost it and binged on them. When I binge on cherries or fruit, it doesn't hurt my goals as much.
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    **Disclaimer: MY EXPERIENCE** Neither do I. I've been counting ever since idon'tknowwhen and i'm just over it. Now I eat high quality meat and eggs, lots of organic vegetables and fruits, full fat cream (for coffee), greek yogurt and good oils. I supplement with natural whey protein and beef gelatin powder (for hair/skin/nails/joint support). I've lost 10+ inches in 6 weeks. I don't weigh myself anymore because i'm sick of being a slave to the scale as well. I went from an tight XL shirt to a Medium. From a 16 pant to a 12.

I weight train 3x a week (squats, deads, bench press, barbell back rows) heavy and compound movements, and run/walk 3.1 miles 3x a week.

I like visiting MFP for the forums.
  • kiroshino
    kiroshino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm actually in the middle of experimenting with this. This wasn't really intentional nor are the observations precise or accurate, so take it with a grain of salt. All numbers are approximate.

Height: 5'7"
    Sedentary

February 2012 - May 2012
    Starting Weight: 205 lbs
    Ending Weight: 195 lbs
    Lost about 10 lbs in three months while counting calories. No exercise whatsoever.

May 2012 - August 2012
    Ending Weight: 175 lbs
    Lost about 20 lbs in three months while counting calories and attending the gym semi-regularly (on average: 1 hour cardio 4 days/week, weight lifting 1 day/week). Ending waist size was about 36".

August 2012 - March 2013
    Ending Weight: 190 lbs
    Gained about 15 lbs in seven months. No exercise, no counting calories, no gym membership, and deleted my MFP account.

March 14, 2013 - April 03, 2014
    Ending Weight: 188 lbs
    Lost about 2 lbs in thirteen months. Joined a gym but did not attend regularly (mostly cardio). Re-joined MFP in January and calorie counted for a few weeks before giving up.

April 03 - Today
    Current Weight: 184 lbs
    Lost about 4 lbs in six weeks. Did not calorie count nor attend the gym regularly (went like four times, mostly cardio). Gym membership ended yesterday. Eating until I'm content, reducing intake of junk food and replacing with healthier alternatives. Been trying to keep myself busy outside of the house so that I wouldn't eat out of boredom. Current waist size is about 35".

I'm terrible with portion sizes nor do I have much knowledge about proper nutrition. Since I no longer have a gym membership, I'm thinking of picking up an activity like hiking or jogging, plus some weight lifting. Or I could try sticking to the P90X DVD's that have been collecting dust since I purchased them... At least that would give me a schedule to follow.

In the end, it is a science. I'm certain that if I counted calories while following proper nutrition guidelines and exercise regularly, I would have seen better results. It's just not my priority. My theory: make lifestyle changes that you can keep, and do things that make you happy so that you're less prone to emotional binge eating.

Don't know if that's really applicable to you, but it's just my experience.
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    For short and sedentary, an apple counts. A couple of pieces of fruit can take you close to 200 cals, depending on the fruit.

If you're young and active, you can probably learn what is appropriate to eat in a day for you.

I know what 1250 looks like and can eye it. It's not a lot. I find I need to log my food though, just to keep me motivated and on track.

If you're asking whether or not eating healthy means you can eat what you want, the answer is no, not really. Calories do count. But you could try eating what you want and see what that does to the scale and your measurements. Do an experiment. Let us know how is works out, if you do.

When I get back to maintenance, I plan to try an experiment on myself. I'll allow to myself to eat whatever healthy unprocessed foods I want. I recently gained when I added chocolate chips and doritos to my otherwise very healthy diet. I lost it and binged on them. When I binge on cherries or fruit, it doesn't hurt my goals as much.

You know how I feel !
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    **Disclaimer: MY EXPERIENCE** Neither do I. I've been counting ever since idon'tknowwhen and i'm just over it. Now I eat high quality meat and eggs, lots of organic vegetables and fruits, full fat cream (for coffee), greek yogurt and good oils. I supplement with natural whey protein and beef gelatin powder (for hair/skin/nails/joint support). I've lost 10+ inches in 6 weeks. I don't weigh myself anymore because i'm sick of being a slave to the scale as well. I went from an tight XL shirt to a Medium. From a 16 pant to a 12.

I weight train 3x a week (squats, deads, bench press, barbell back rows) heavy and compound movements, and run/walk 3.1 miles 3x a week.

I like visiting MFP for the forums.

Sounds like what I'm doing right now. Maybe it's going to work maybe not. Again it takes time to experiment ..
  • jasminecoco
    Options
    I'm actually in the middle of experimenting with this. This wasn't really intentional nor are the observations precise or accurate, so take it with a grain of salt. All numbers are approximate.

Height: 5'7"
    Sedentary

February 2012 - May 2012
    Starting Weight: 205 lbs
    Ending Weight: 195 lbs
    Lost about 10 lbs in three months while counting calories. No exercise whatsoever.

May 2012 - August 2012
    Ending Weight: 175 lbs
    Lost about 20 lbs in three months while counting calories and attending the gym semi-regularly (on average: 1 hour cardio 4 days/week, weight lifting 1 day/week). Ending waist size was about 36".

August 2012 - March 2013
    Ending Weight: 190 lbs
    Gained about 15 lbs in seven months. No exercise, no counting calories, no gym membership, and deleted my MFP account.

March 14, 2013 - April 03, 2014
    Ending Weight: 188 lbs
    Lost about 2 lbs in thirteen months. Joined a gym but did not attend regularly (mostly cardio). Re-joined MFP in January and calorie counted for a few weeks before giving up.

April 03 - Today
    Current Weight: 184 lbs
    Lost about 4 lbs in six weeks. Did not calorie count nor attend the gym regularly (went like four times, mostly cardio). Gym membership ended yesterday. Eating until I'm content, reducing intake of junk food and replacing with healthier alternatives. Been trying to keep myself busy outside of the house so that I wouldn't eat out of boredom. Current waist size is about 35".

I'm terrible with portion sizes nor do I have much knowledge about proper nutrition. Since I no longer have a gym membership, I'm thinking of picking up an activity like hiking or jogging, plus some weight lifting. Or I could try sticking to the P90X DVD's that have been collecting dust since I purchased them... At least that would give me a schedule to follow.

In the end, it is a science. I'm certain that if I counted calories while following proper nutrition guidelines and exercise regularly, I would have seen better results. It's just not my priority. My theory: make lifestyle changes that you can keep, and do things that make you happy so that you're less prone to emotional binge eating.

Don't know if that's really applicable to you, but it's just my experience.

Thanks so much for sharing, I'm reading it over and over again and trying to absorb useful information.