Discouraged-Needing Support

Options
Okay so here it goes, my name is Nicholle I am 22 years old and just graduated from college, where I gained the freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior 15. That's right I gained a total of 60+lbs while in college. I currently weigh 261lbs and honestly it's rough.

I'm not one of those people who wants to lose weight so I can be a skinny picturesque model; no, I want to feel like myself again. I can literally feel the affect that weight has on my body I feel sluggish and tired and I remember how happy and full of energy I was when I was in high school and was a good 70lbs lighter. I just want that back.

So, I've made a plan and goals! I got a book from the library "Run Your Butt Off! A Breakthrough Plan to Lose Weight and Start Running (No Experience Necessary)", a book that lays out a 12 week program to go from walking 30 minutes 3-4x a week to running 30 minutes 3-4x a week. I started logging my calories everyday into mfp. I've cut candy bars and doughnuts (these used to be everyday treats) and limited my pop intake majorly (I only drink diet, but should be drinking water).

Then yesterday happened.
1. I had to travel and didn't have time for a real lunch so I grabbed fast food,
2. Due to traveling and very busy day I didn't have any time to workout (I literally woke at 7:00am and didn't stop until 12:30am).
3. I ate food prepared by someone other than myself and of course it was NOT healthy.

And at the end of it all I had taken over double my calorie goal. I'm just so discouraged and disappointed in myself.

I guess this post sounds like I am just whining, but that's not my intention. I just really need some mfp friends that will encourage me and help me to not give up. Thanks!

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, you can NOT beat yourself up over a single day. This is a journey and we all screw up sometimes. You just have to say "tomorrow will be better" and forgive yourself - and move on.

We're going out of town this weekend and next. I KNOW I will not be able to workout or track as well as I normally do. I'm just going to do the best I can and work that much harder when I get home.

((hugs)) girl. You're doing great.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, it's just one day. No worries! This is a journey - not a sprint! Let's forget yesterday happened and focus on how you're going to handle going forward.

For me - preparation is the key - if it isn't premade, I will find other (not healthy) solutions.

I'm an emotional eater. This morning, my son was a big fat weenie face (he's 10) and all I could think about on my drive to work was how much I wanted to eat a fast food breakfast sandwich. But I knew I had some eggs with peppers and onions packed in my lunchbag. If I didn't have those - guess where I would have gone???? Yup. Fast food, baby.

I have a hard time completely eliminating the junk out of my life so I try to balance it. I know I have zero willpower over Oreos, so I don't buy them. I can eat the ENTIRE package (Double Stuf, too) - by myself.

Sometimes, and don't laugh, if my family is having a decadent treat and it's not my *treat* day, I ask to smell it. :blushing: Sometimes just having the smell of that treat is enough to remind me that I remember how it tastes and I have to wait to have it.

*hugs*
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    One day isn't going to undo all your progress. Shake it off, mark it up to a learning experience, and prepare yourself better for next time:

Try looking up nutritional info at a few fast food places, make a list of acceptable items and keep it with you. If you have a memo app in your phone, that's a good place for it. Maybe expand that to a few of the major chains that your family or friends enjoy, so you'll be prepared for those excursions as well.

Also, try keeping a box of some sort of nutrition bar in your car. I used to do this when I was working and going to school full time, and often had 14 hour days. A zone bar makes a much better breakfast on the go than a fast food biscuit.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say it too-
    Oh honey, you are changing your life, a day is but a lil blip. but- if you feed that feeing, you can easily skip your walking, then spiral for a week or more.

Don't do it!

No, big, right back on track!

Good for you on followng a real plan! You'll do great!
    Todd
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    It took you 4 years to gain 60 pounds. One day off is not going to derail you from losing that weight :)

Losing weight isn't an all or nothing thing - sometimes life gets in the way of our perfectly laid plans. Embrace the break, and face each day as a new opportunity to kick butt.