New to jogging. Suggestions on my routine?

Options
So, I've never really been in shape. I lost ~30lbs by changing up my diet, and now I've been maintaining between 165-170. I'd like to lose another 30lbs, so I decided to finally start jogging.

My current routine: (every other day)
.7mi walk to trail
.8mi walk/jog and .8mi back
.7mi walk home
= 3mi in 1hr.

Right now, I can only jog for about a minute before stopping. I'd like to run 1.5mi in 12min, so I've been focusing on how fast I can do that 1.6mi on the trail (currently, 23min). But, I'm guessing it'd be better to work on my endurance first? I don't know, this whole running thing is new to me. Suggestions?

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Download the couch to 5k app and follow it.
  • miichellelynn
    Options
    Well, I don't have a smartphone, but I see the training schedule online. I guess I could give it a go. Thanks.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    So, I've never really been in shape. I lost ~30lbs by changing up my diet, and now I've been maintaining between 165-170. I'd like to lose another 30lbs, so I decided to finally start jogging.

My current routine: (every other day)
    .7mi walk to trail
    .8mi walk/jog and .8mi back
    .7mi walk home
    = 3mi in 1hr.

Right now, I can only jog for about a minute before stopping. I'd like to run 1.5mi in 12min, so I've been focusing on how fast I can do that 1.6mi on the trail (currently, 23min). But, I'm guessing it'd be better to work on my endurance first? I don't know, this whole running thing is new to me. Suggestions?

Aerobic endurance first, speed later. Run at a conversational pace and repeat/increase gradually, and the speed will come along with it.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Back in the day before smart phones, I wrote the time splits on my hand to do the c25k. Not as elegant as having it tell you when to run right there in your ear, but it gets the job done :)

This topic will tell you everything you want to know - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    My coworker just did couch to 5k. It was so effective for her that she did the 10k one right after. She's running a 10k race on Sunday (she only started running in March).
  • clarsen929
    clarsen929 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another endorsement for Couch-to-5k. I've never enjoyed running (I was a swimmer in high school), but C25K is great for easing into running and gaining endurance. I first completed the program two years ago (and since fell off the wagon), but I am currently working through it for the second time.

With regard to not having a smart phone, use a stopwatch or wristwatch and follow the timed program--this is how I did the program two years ago. I do think the distance program is more accurate, so if you have a way gauge your distance (accurately) I would advise it, but again, the timed program is very effective and requires nothing more than a watch.

Good luck!!
  • aswearingen22
    aswearingen22 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K is the best suggestion. You're currently running a 20 min mile, but want to run an 8 min mile? Yea, that's going to take a while, possibly years depending on your training, weight, etc. I've been running years and an 8 min mile is still not possible for 3 miles at a time. First get your distance up, run for a year, THEN and only then, start trying to get faster. Doing speed work before you've been running for a year (thus strengthening your muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments, etc), will leave you susceptible to injury. Take it slow and enjoy the steady progress forward and don't put crazy 8 min/mile goals on yourself this early in the process.
  • miichellelynn
    Options
    Wow, yeah, looks like C25K is the way to go. Thanks for all the input!
    UmmSqueaky, that topic was really helpful, thanks!

Also, the reason my goal is to run a 1.5mi in 12min is because it's the minimum requirement for USAF BMT graduation. I'm pretty optimistic about it, as I'll be training every day for 9 weeks in basic, but I'd still like to be in decent shape beforehand.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Wow, yeah, looks like C25K is the way to go. Thanks for all the input!
    UmmSqueaky, that topic was really helpful, thanks!

Also, the reason my goal is to run a 1.5mi in 12min is because it's the minimum requirement for USAF BMT graduation. I'm pretty optimistic about it, as I'll be training every day for 9 weeks in basic, but I'd still like to be in decent shape beforehand.
    [/quote

Get into BETTER than decent shape when you get in.
    You know whom they bother the least in basic?
    Those who have their stuff together and are in shape. If you are gunning to just get the minimum then, well, I wouldnt be too proud of that.

There is enough mental stress in training and the last thing you want to have to worry about is your physical fitness.

Do the C25k. Be aggressive. Do NOT be satisfied with just passing. JUST passing isnt what a member of the US military should be striving for.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    When are you going to basic? Have you seen their 14 week recommended get ready for basic program?

http://www.basictraining.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15719

ETA: Just realized you were a female (sorry) so the run requirement is not as fast, so good for you wanting to pass with the male requirement which is 11:57 for 1.5 miles.

Women: Physical Training Targets
    Age 1.5 Mile Run Push-Ups Sit-Ups Abdominal Circumference
    <30 14:26 18 38 31.5"
    30-39 14:26 14 29 31.5"
  • doolz84
    doolz84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded the "Get Running (Couch to 5K)" app. It had nothing but rave reviews. 3x/week is definitely reasonable for me! Looking forward to using this app.

Any other suggestions for a power-walker/wanna-be-runner?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Try to gradually get faster and/or more distance. Outside is better than treadmill always. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would focus now on increasing the amount of time you spend running and then work on speed once the distance is manageable for you. Also, I have completed c25k and it is a great program to start running.
  • JOLUBUG3
    JOLUBUG3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Download the couch to 5k app and follow it.
    This helped me so much when I was learing how to run. :heart:
  • robynsjourney
    Options
    I jog/power walk, 1 minute jog and 2 minutes power walk. I am not a runner either and I usually do 3 miles per day.
  • olgasgarden
    olgasgarden Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    when i started running about 2 1/2 months ago i was really out of shape. i was 211 pounds. i am 5'7" 38yo. i stated by running during the down hill portions of my walks. gradually i started to run on the flat parts. Now i can run for an hour + with out any issues on any type of terrain. However my speed is really slow like 4m per hour. i am now trying to up my speed. i run though a residential neighborhood and i count driveways as i run. 5 driveways i run as fast as i can. 7 i run as slow as i want. it seamed to be working well my speed has been gradually going up. Also this variable speed is good for weight loss.